GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Hobbies? What is this you speak of? I have vague memories of such things, but these days my wife and I are raising & homeschooling a house full of kids.

Our hobbies include:

Reminding kids to do their chores.
Forcing kids to pick up after themselves.
Planning kids' school work & chores for the week.
Interceding in sibling squabbles.
Shopping constantly.
Never ending doctor visits (eyes, teeth, well visits, sick visits, etc. Thankfully, that has slowed down the last 6 months.)
Talking about date nights but usually being too tired or busy to actually go on them.

I guess my hobbies are walking the dog and reading GT.

Wow. My life is much more depressing in print than how I actually experience it.

I wouldn't trade any of it. Real hobbies can wait.

·
Scottish Member
11,458 Posts
You know, I tried IDPA,...ONCE. The guys that ran the thing we're cocky, unhelpful and just plain obnoxious. If you didn't bring Dirty Harry's Auto-Mag to the meet, well, you were made feel like Will Smith and his Noisy Cricket.
That is unusual for IDPA, most of the guys in IDPA are pretty helpful and want to “grow the sport”.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
GOPR0040.jpeg
12370736_10208015060485087_2850665033527802643_O.jpeg
P1010027.jpeg
P1010029.jpeg
P1010024.jpeg
Just a few of my Jacksons. I have a few Gibsons, just got a Malcon Young type Gretch (not the real signature model) and have become quite the Scheter fanboy these last few years. 'chit I love guitars. Think I have about 30 or so various stringed instruments.

·
κολασμένος
18,408 Posts
I like building things.
-Just finished my 2nd house in the last 10 or 12 years. Hopefully my LAST. :rofl:
-I've built log furniture, jewerly boxes, motorcycles

I like spending time wandering in the outdoors.
-Hiking, canyoneering, photography, biking, fishing.

These days... it's all about the grandbaby (1st) :rofl:

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Here's a great hobby "tip" for multiple hobbies and/or starting a new one. Just do 15 minutes at a time. I got this from my guitar teacher when I used to be a calssical guitar student at NAU in Flagstaff, AZ. He told me to not stress out on practicing 4 hours a day. Just focus on 15 minutes right now. So I been doing that since then. I'll have my counter set for 15 min. and focus on just one guitar thing for the 15. Then repeat as often as I need to build on that particular skill. Now I also do it for most everything, running (more like trotting), sit-ups, and reloading. Example: I have to trim down to spec about 2k of 5.56x45 mm ammo. Not the most exciting thing to do but a step that I don't skip at all. So I just do 45 -60 min. a day. It'll get done. And I actually enjoy it in short bouts rather than hand cranking them out all frickin' day and night. Give it a shot and remember all change usually feels "fake" at first. It's supposed to feel that way. That's why it's called change.

Reactions: jame

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
Motorcycle touring in North America and Europe. Had to cancel our Dolomites, Italy tour this year due to CV.

Also town volunteer Shade Tree inspector. They've asked me to start reporting on sidewalk problems. I always thought the Sidewalk Inspector job was reserved for the town drunk.

·
NRA Life Member
28,675 Posts
You know, I tried IDPA,...ONCE. The guys that ran the thing we're cocky, unhelpful and just plain obnoxious. If you didn't bring Dirty Harry's Auto-Mag to the meet, well, you were made feel like Will Smith and his Noisy Cricket.
You just got in with the wrong crowd. Ken Hackathorn was a member of my club in Ohio when he was starting IDPA. You could say I grew up with it. Some of the nicest guys in the world belonged to Fort Harmar Gun Club.

·
****** Viejo
28,787 Posts
You just got in with the wrong crowd. Ken Hackathorn was a member of my club in Ohio when he was starting IDPA. You could say I grew up with it. Some of the nicest guys in the world belonged to Fort Harmar Gun Club.
I believe he was referring to a group in Beaver Co. PA. They are known for shenanigans. tom.:cowboy:

Reactions: willie_pete

·
Moved on...
9,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I believe he was referring to a group in Beaver Co. PA. They are known for shenanigans. tom.:cowboy:
Wow!! I didn't even mention their name and YOU KNEW! Their reputation must precede them. Thanks Tom!!

Reactions: deputy tom

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I dabble in woodworking (beginner stuff), maintaining the cars, and guns.

My family keeps me busy with woodworking/house projects and some light maintenance work on mowers, the generator, or whatever else breaks. I enjoy it as a break from dealing with the public at work.

61 - 80 of 223 Posts