close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

hoarding the liquor

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by lunarspeak, Oct 21, 2012.

1. lunarspeak

lunarspeak

so i was at the ABC store the other day to pick up a bottle of CR for a party...well i start talking to the clerk (who works out at my gym) we always talk about zombies and prepping,,,well he starts telling me about this guy who started comeing in and buying 4 or 5 bottles a week...whitch isnt all that strange but he will come in one week and buy 4 bottles of vodka then the next and buy 5 bottles of rum or a few bottles of jim..(most people that have drinking problems stick to one kind or brand)

well last week the guy came in and bought 10 bottles of everclear...my buddy said "wow pretty strong stuff"and the guy replyed i dont drink,im a prepper..

the more i think about it thats the most smartest thing ive heard so far.....while some guys will be haggleing over a box of ammo for a box of noodles..this guy will be able to finance a small army :rofl:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  2. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

Yeah that's good thinking. A bottle of hooch would be worth more than a stack of 100's in some scenarios.

3. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Damn right it will. Everclear has many uses. Getting some relaxation during real tough SHTF times is one.

4. Averageman

Averageman

Pints, Fifths and Half Gallons of cheap booze may be worth more than silver or gold.
    I can see having it on hand for Barter, but it seems to evaporate in my presence.

5. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

Now THIS makes sense.

6. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

wife watched an episode of extreme preppers or whatever it was and one of them had liquor for trading and was throwing molotov coctails in his back yard for "practice". she thought it was a good idea too. while i agree, i think her source may have been a bit skewed.

7. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

Her source as in the show she saw it on? A good idea is a good idea. Doesn't matter if it comes from Fox News or the local high school news paper.

8. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

won't be the first time.

Have heard stories about the depression.

and those who stocked up before Prohibition.

Need sick kids looked after, a shade tree mechanic to get your only car going…liquor can be quite the deal sealer.

Good barter.

The best shelf life…it will outlive you. 100 years easily in a cool dry place.

Beer can turn in 6 months. Not all wine ages, some sours in the bottle. But 80 proof and up? Keeps.

I'm a prepper and I do it. Not a whole lot, only a case or two.

But its an option.

People who lived thru the Bosnian war have similar stories. You might be able to bribe your way thru a roadblock, get a gun fixed, some food…

At worst if nothing happens, you can drink it.

9. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

In a SHTF situation, do you really want to help your unprepared, stresses out, scarred and possibly armed neighbors get liquored up?

10. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Take your thought provoking paranoid logic elsewhere. :miff:

:supergrin:

11. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

Well, there are going to be a lot worse things to worry about than a crazy drunk neighbor. Trading a pint of whisky for some gas or food is worth the risk of him taking that bottle and getting crazy. There will be much bigger fish to fry than worrying about what people are doing to catch a buzz. The risk/reward is worth it in that situation. If he gets crazy and comes back looking for trouble, shoot him a little.

12. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Youd be doing it wrong.

That's not how it goes.

when things get stable and people meet and arrange trades you can use it to make or seal deals. YOu won't be tradiing much of anything with some haggard battle weary ANYONE.

You pick your spots. You meet up with someone well behaved and looking to trade, its "well, whatcha got? I need XYZ" They have XYZ, you say I have something to offer, what are you looking for? exchange occurs.

If everything is some hot mess no one will be trading with anyone. You just pick the right atmosphere.

13. samuse

samuse

Hell yeah. Invite the females.

SHTF party goin' on at MY place!:drink::ladiesman:

Wanna see my :dancingbanana:??

14. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

15. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Cartons of cigarettes would actually be a good idea.

I don't smoke, so can anyone tell me how long cigarettes last if I were to buy a cartoon and not open them?

16. frizz

frizz

While it is waaaaay illegal, making a small still and making your own 90% pure alcohol isn't hard if you are somewhat handy with tools. You just need a good place to let your yeast convert the sugar water, and a good place to store the bottles.

It is amazing how cheap distilled alcohol is without the taxes.

NOTE: No, I have never done this, but the diagrams, parts lists, and assembly & use instructions are all on the Internet. For $150, you could get the parts for a very effective setup.

Even if it isn't for drinking, the practical cleaning and sterilizing -- especially for first aid -- uses of ethyl alcohol are vast.

17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Yup. Everyone wants to hoard gold. I've always said on the SPF here (before I stopped reading it because it was considered "stupid") that you should stock up on hard liquor and cigarettes. The hard liquor will keep. The cigareeets you could vac-seal by the carton or pack.

October Rust - I'd say they'll only last a few months if not properly stored. And I assume over time, properly humidified, that the leaves will leach color into the paper no matter what. But if all hell has broken loose, who cares about discolored cigarettes?

OR you could hoard rolling papers and tins of tobacco. Just as marketable. And strike-anywhere matches. Again - vac-seal them.

18. frizz

frizz

There is another post with a question about ammo for barter. I opined that 9mm & .223/5.56x45 are the best bets for barter rounds because those are the most common.

With barter, you want to have a lot of what people are going to want a lot of.

19. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW4-PA9Xksw"]The Book of Eli #1 Movie CLIP - I'll Wait Here (2010) HD - YouTube[/ame]

20. Caver 60

Caver 60

Strike anywhere matches are getting hard to find in most stores around here. I've not tried online, but I have found an Army Surplus store about 40 miles away that has them. I always keep a few boxes on hand. Lot easier than rubbing two sticks together.

I also have a fair stock of booze on hand. Mixture of many various brands and types. Since I only drink and ounce or so of it a day, I like to vary the taste with different types of liquor.