HOA revenge

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Liftedpsd2010, Jul 18, 2019.

1. njl

njl Crusty Member

I've owned homes in two HOAs, and I don't think either of them sent out bills to members. It's been so long since the first, I don't remember for sure how it worked there, but the current one sends out a coupon book and envelopes each year, the idea being, those old fashioned types who write/mail checks can use the provided window envelopes and coupons to remind them of the amount and get the payment mailed (monthly) to the right address. My current HOA only sends out anything else about assessments if you're delinquent.

2. JJohnson

JJohnson Call me Jeff

I've owned a second home with an HOA for five years. It's amazing how if one pays the bills on time, and actually reads the rules prior to changing the outward appearance of the home, everything works out just fine. Don't like a specific rule? Join the board and change it. Its a lot easier than fighting it AFTER you broke it by painting the wrong color, or whatever.

My yard gets mowed, snow gets shoveled, and the HOA just replaced my roof. I have no complaints as I drive through the neighborhood and everyone's homes are kept as nice as mine.

Tvov and El Pistolero like this.

3. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

why would anyone EVER move into an HOA, having to pay fee's and deal with crazy rules (colors, style choices, Stalag staff). Its your property. You give up freedoms, choices and your money. If you are too lazy or disabled, hire who you want to shovel snow or mow the yard.

mike from st pe and Terry G like this.
  4. Jonesee

Jonesee

When you buy a nice house, it prevents someone from building a shack next to you, or prevents others from having junked cars. It ensures property values don't decline because a trashy family moving in.

Any other questions?

G30SF/F-250 and fg17 like this.
  5. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

as a retired officer there are plenty of trashy families in HOA's that ive dealt with. People are scum no matter where they live or how much they make. Thats a fact! Plus some are raising hellion grandkids because their kids are dysfunctional. Junked cars contact zoning.

mike from st pe likes this.
  6. GSX42

GSX42 Deplorable

So if I understand this right, someone joins a HOA and pays them money every month so they can be told what they can and cannot do? That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard of. Anything positive about these HOA’s?

azron, mike from st pe and ruffhunter like this.
  7. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Yeah, they keep the neighborhood from deteriorating into a ****hole.

fg17 and El Pistolero like this.
  8. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

Both sides are right.

In the rural county I live you can paint your house any color you like, change your oil in the driveway, put up a flag if you want, and don’t have “mommy” looking over your shoulder, as your a grown ass man and it’s your house.

Other side is that somebody can stick up a trailer next to your property, fill it with meth heads blasting music all hours and turn their front yard into a junk yard hurting your property value.

Pick your poison...

IamtheNRA likes this.
  9. njl

njl Crusty Member

You don't "join" an HOA. But in most places, if you want a somewhat recently built home in the suburbs of any real city, you have no choice but to buy a home on property governed by an HOA.

10. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Local governments also like HOAs as developers sell them on it as having a lower impact with less government services needed. They really like to sell 55 and older developments. After they are built you see the school buses picking kids up; so much for no impact to the school system.

I live in an area with no HOA but there are fairly strict local ordinances against working on your car etc. They don't enforce it unless you are doing something blatantly annoying to neighbors so it works well. The houses are on large lots and all detached so that also helps insure a well-kept area; everyone has the same mindset.

11. DaveD

DaveD Ex-Mod Moderator Millennium Member

I have been the president of two HOA's. To allow your fees to go to the amount owed is either totally your fault or you need an attorney.

Both of my communities could auto load checks into a scanner so scanning one check or 350 is a matter of 10 minutes. If this expense and effort makes you happy go for it!

You also mention foreclosure....do they hold the mortgage and title? If not it seems the worst they can do is put a lien on the property so you can't sell it.

Someday I'll start a discussion on HOA homeowners. I can start it off with a swat team in a high end community and end it with a naked guy in a wheel chair with a knife threatening the crew repairing his homes exterior. Again, a high end community.

If you live in an HOA you have community of room mates. If you didn't like them in college you won't like them in your development.

12. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

The Poconos in NE PA is full of planned gated communities which many people seem to hate.

When I asked people why then do these HOAs exist in such large numbers they said they moved from the city and were afraid of the woods. So they have created communities just like the ones they escaped from. Wherever you go, there you are.

IamtheNRA likes this.
  13. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

I live in a townhouse. We have an HOA. We live in close quarters with limited parking, so rules are necessary to keep everything fair for everyone.

We refuse to hire a management company. A president and board of directors is elected each two years from property owners and serve without pay. I was on the board for 16 years, and president for 6 of them.

Do we have infractions? Yes. How do we deal with them? We put a note to the violator in his mailbox, and give him a reasonable amount of time to remedy the situation. Sometimes parking rules must be violated because of needed repairs and remodeling. When that happens, we work with our neighbors to minimize the impact.

In other words, we act like responsible adults, and we have a great community and a lovely neighborhood. Hotheads who move in usually move out when they don’t get the attention they think they should get with their antics.

What amazes me is that there are some people who buy homes in deed restricted communities without reading the restrictions. How stupid is that? Your home is your largest investment. The restrictions exists because the folks who live there wanted them. If you want unrestricted, buy unrestricted. It’s as simple as that.

Resqu2 likes this.
  14. Tvov

Tvov

They saw a beautiful home in a beautiful neighborhood and they wanted it. They heard how the home values in that neighborhood were on the way up (because of how well kept the area is). They ignored, or pretended to understand, the Real Estate agent when she/he said "and it is kept this way with a HOA!".

Then they complain about how strict the HOA is.

Jonesee and IamtheNRA like this.
  15. ray9898

ray9898

Yup....everyone is drawn to the picturesque looking communities with great amenities with perfectly manicured landscapes in the common areas. What a great looking place to live!

Then they move in and when they paint the house hot pink or want to park two junk cars in the front yard it is suddenly too strict.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Resqu2 likes this.
  16. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

I posted the solution to go jogging by their houses...

17. Resqu2

Resqu2

In our case, yes lots of positives. We bought a townhome that’s in a 45 resident HOA, it’s a big circle. We each pay $45 a month for all lawn care, landscaping is provided but you can do your on if you want to. Hedges are trimmed and when snow falls someone is scraping the road and shoveling my sidewalk. Our board members are all neighbors that live there, not a Mgmt company. We don’t really have any rules that are crazy, they paint the front door ever so often and we are given a color if we want to paint the siding on the home so they are all uniform. As we get older and me being 6 years older than the Wife she can keep on living and not have to worry about anything outside. It really feels like a retirement community as most are very old.

I would not live in one where your responsible for your yard work and nosy nelly measures your grass and sends you a fine. Ours is the best thing we could of done at our age.

18. Terry G

Terry G

"And they all live in pretty boxes, pretty boxes, and they all look just the same. There's a green one, there's a blue one, and there's a yellow one, pretty boxes and they all look just the same." Forget it. Regimented controlled living is not my idea of living. Do you all have to do "light's out" at the same time? As far as painting it was an approved color. After it was finished this wife of the chairman decide it was the wrong shade. I shot an eight point buck three hundred yards behind my home. THAT'S living.

19. Jonesee

Jonesee

They may be trashy, but they have to keep it out of sight and maintain their lawn, houses and store their junk somewhere else.

From the curb at least, the house and lawn are well kept and not dragging down home values.

20. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

Before I retired I was transferred around a lot and have some experience with HOA’s. They can either be an asset or a terrible experience. Some are excellent, some are terrible. Keep in mind, homeowners can work together and have a say in their HOA. Normally the homeowners hire an HOA management company to enforce the rules. Something to ponder. And for what it’s worth I don’t think you will accomplish much by acting childish and paying with pennies, etc.

Resqu2 likes this.