HOA revenge

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Liftedpsd2010, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Liftedpsd2010

Liftedpsd2010

I hope this is allowed here. I live in an hoa community that has switched management companies 5 times in 5 years. Every company would send bills out in different months of the year. Fast forward to this year and the new company said they sent out bills January 30th and it was due monthly. I never got anything until they said they were putting a lean on my house. I’ve fought and fought and instead of the measles 600 dollars in hoa fees I now have to pay 3500.

I’ve tried and tried to get them to drop the amount. So I have to pay it or they will foreclose on my house. I can pay it with check or money order in person or debit or credit card online.

This is my plan. I want to give them multiple checks, preferably in 10 dollar increments. I don’t mind writing them out but is there any place I can order pre printed with the name and amount to these people? Idc if I have to pay for them obviously.

My second idea was to make payments by credit card in 10 dollar increments. Will this cost them more in fees than making a lump sum payment?

Thanks for the replies. Also will entertain any other ideas to get these people to either pay more or work more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. KBKEITH

KBKEITH Problem Solver Platinum Member

Pennies. Like Kramer from Seinfeld did when he paid for his calzones.

3. PBCounty

PBCounty

There's a weekend coming man. This is what you're thinking about? Go have a beer and a mahi sandwich and chat with a cute bartender for a while. Look out the window at something nice.

LV3, fg17, gatorboy and 17 others like this.
  4. Dave514

Dave514

Get sheets of checks you run through a computer printer.

Willard and railfancwb like this.
  5. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

:goodpost:

:cheers:

G30SF/F-250 and Liftedpsd2010 like this.
  6. Liftedpsd2010

Liftedpsd2010

Lol I plan on going and relaxing around the pool this weekend but this has got me fuming until then.

Joshhtn likes this.
  7. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

I'd talk to a lawyer and see if anything can be done legally.

n2g, Willard, PEC-Memphis and 11 others like this.
  8. DAKA

DAKA

This can't be the whole story.. Not to be a wise A$$, but, you knew that the payments needed to be paid.....

powernoodle, Sfaql, mtpisgah and 7 others like this.
  9. K. Foster

K. Foster

If you owe the money, just pay it. If you don’t, get a lawyer. Pretty simple stuff really.

DrVlad, n2g, powernoodle and 8 others like this.
  10. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
  11. Terry G

Terry G

Another HOA horror story. Is anyone happy about living in an HOA? I have friends and relatives that live in HOA communities and not one has anything good to say about them other than they are uniform like a Military base. At least three say they are run by wannabe Nazi's that live to tell other people what to do. A Cousin told me he had his house painted to the tune of $11,000.00 and two week's later the Wife of the HOA committee chairman told him it's color did not conform to the HOA rules. He's still fighting it. A $100.00 fine for a boat " Parked outside too long." Sheesh! And they wonder why I live in the woods.

12. Liftedpsd2010

Liftedpsd2010

It’s been a mess. My first year we paid yearly and they sent us a bill January. The next 4 years I had to call in October of the year they usually came in January and question where the bill was. Oh we don’t service that community anymore and had to call around.

The last 3 years I’ve had to get late fees waived because they think they can charge me late fees on a bill they send out after they say the due date was.

This year it slipped my mind and I got a letter saying they were putting a Lien on my house. I called and couldn’t get anyone that could waive the late fees cause it was obviously bogus. I even forwarded them the emails. I didn’t hear anything for about 2 months and I get a letter in the mail from a lawyer saying foreclosure help. I check and they put in an intent to foreclose. I hired a lawyer but they already paid out money to the court system. I do owe the hoa dues for this year. But don’t have much time to fight the rest. I did get them down from 4400. So to be an ass I’m going to wrote 350 checks.

13. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

They have to pay 3 to 3 1/2 percent on each transaction so the amount would be the same, it would cause their accounting department a couple of hours of extra work and it would take you several hours.

14. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

The key sentence: "I never got anything until they said they were putting a lean on my house."

Get a lawyer. You should pay your portion, but NOT the portion where somebody else make a mistake.

Rizzo, n2g, shadowgunner9 and 2 others like this.
  15. WABOOM

WABOOM

Writing the checks out would be very satisfying. Just write them out.

16. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers Kilt in Da Streetz since 1999

Change, pay in change.

Thank GOD I don't have to put up with a HOA, I feel for you.

17. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

While I do love a good bit of "karma-fu" against self important rule Nazi's, this seems like a good way to screw up several hours of YOUR time with all the folderol of searching, writing, signing, etc.

It's not revenge if you screw yourself.

Screwing yourself is called masturbation.

18. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

We have an HOA - it is O.K. The management company and board do their job.

I know it ain't easy, but if it annoys you enough - move. Also, try following PBCounty's suggestion. Life is to short - trust me. :cheers:

Jonesee and Ross-in-Pa like this.
  19. fivestar

fivestar

Yeah....cause acting like a two year old always works out.....Good Lord.

If you owe the money, pay it like an adult. If you really feel like the extra amount is bogus, then why would you even consider paying it? In lump sum or by pennies? If you say you don’t owe it, then you don’t owe it, and you pay your attorney to fight it.

So then you go 2 months not hearing anything after their intent to foreclose...why would you wait?? You should have been at your attorneys office everyday or on the phone until this is resolved....???? I don’t get it. There isn’t much more important in life than your home....the whole castle thing....so why do people just do nothing?? A further point of interest...how does a HOA fee slip your mind? It’s like taxes.....it’s not ever going to go away....that should always be a thought at the first of the year.

And seriously....it’s 2019....HOA’s have been around for decades now. There should be zero room for shock and surprise when one goes awry. The issues with them are well documented by now. I get it that people want to live in nice, kept up neighborhoods....not a thing wrong with that....but seriously.....residents need to stop being surprised when it goes bad...and they certainly don’t need to spend time thinking of revenge....YOU put yourself there. YOU put yourself at their mercy everyday you live in one. I honestly don’t get it. It’s like having your cake, and eating it too....you can’t have it both ways.

I’m seriously NOT trying to pick on the OP. I feel bad that you’re dealing with the issue, as I’m sure it’s adding stress that you don’t need.

But seriously....pay it like an adult and move on if you feel you owe it, or don’t and keep in touch with your attorney....weekly if needed. Good luck.

LV3, Andy P, badge315 and 7 others like this.
  20. pugman

pugman

Read this very carefully...you have really two choices.

Option #1: start writing down the time, date, name and notes of every contact or conversation you have from now on. Be diligent....if they say we will call you Monday by 2:00 I would be politely calling them at 2:30. HOA are not in the business of foreclosing on folks unless they have no choice and frankly they would prefer not doing it. What does my dentist tell me? Sure he makes a lot more on crowns and root canals but he would rather see 6 healthy patients for their cleaning and just check their teeth than spend the time on a crown. Patients are healthier he makes more money and its less stress.

Option #2: get a lawyer who will do everthing I advised in #1 but charge you $250 an hour.

They have to justify that $3100. Did you sign something acknowledging this? More importantly did you read it?

And for the record to put a lien on the house should have required a court date? Did you get a summons?

I had to deal with my MIL's ******* ex-landlord who has threatened me with liens and what not. I spoke with the clerk of courts (and yes, I have the time and date of the conversation) and confirmed he can't sue without proof of acknowledgement of the action (i.e he can't sue and win over an empty chair)

I've defended multiple IRS audits the same way.

In the end you will realize this will take a lot more time than $3100 seems to be worth. I handled my sister's IRS audit....ten months, two dozen phone calls and all for $500. In the end, I/we won.