Glock 23 HO HO HO (for the lefties)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Jason D., Dec 15, 2017.

1. Jason D.

Jason D.

hey guys,
    I'm looking to build/buy a g23 from semi ground up. thinking of buying used, and then replacing parts with better upgrades. any suggestions on specific parts ( slides, barrel, lights, suppressor, sights, etc ) i should check out. Things i should stay away from?

plus, any sugggestions on (aiwb) appendix inside waistband ) holsters for us left handed shooters.

thanks peeps, have a nice holiday.

2. 405dave

405dave

Leave it stock, except for the sights. And learn how to shoot it first. Buy a lot of ammo with money saved.

3. sig357fan

sig357fan

what he said.....

michael_b likes this.
  4. GP4L

GP4L

My two personal favorite AIWB holsters are: Black Rhino Concealment Herrin, and T-Rex Arms sidecar. Both offer lefty, and both are very well made.

5. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

You'd save a lot of money this way; just buy a stock G23.

michael_b likes this.
  6. Jason D.

Jason D.

I've shot a friends g23 for a while now, im just trying to figure out the best way to go about building/buying the best glock I can. Thanks for the input as always ☺

7. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Buy stock. Buy ammo.
    Wasn't that easy.

8. billorights

billorights

Oh. Thought you were counting the Hollyweird lefties. Pardon me.

Jason D. likes this.
  9. MajorD

MajorD

While some people have tinkered with aftermarket stuff in an effort to improve ( debatable term) glocks successfully, there seems to be equally as many people who report spending good money on after market gizmos only to post they are having function issues with the gun. With police agencies dumping 40’s en mass for 9’s I would suspect finding a used inexpensive 23 an easy task. While some people spends lots of cash to make effective glock gamer guns or visually impressive guns with all sorts of slide cuts and stippling, much of this is just personal preference and especially in the later group does nothing to improve performance at all.

10. NMG26

NMG26

Me too, then I noticed the forum...........clicked it anyways.

11. fatduk1963

fatduk1963

I am a lefty I have a stock G30 , it goes bang every time I want it to. I'm Happy Happy Happy.

12. Rick Rappe

Rick Rappe

While "leave it alone" advice is reasonable; a well trained and experienced lefty pistolero gains some performance benefit from a couple of modest modifications. Even if real world "improvement" is no more than a touch more confidence.

A forward extended slide release improves speed reloading. Need it? Who knows, except us old farts who carried a 1911 for decades in the PG era (pre Glock) don't need to re-train.

A lefty's second finger can wrap around the grip in such a way an imperfect grab can release the magazine and make the gun a single shot...that same mag release can fail to actually release the magazine because the left hand's thumb, tight to the right side of the gun can keep the release from moving (more so on Gen3s and earlier because the right side end of the mag release is larger than current Glocks).

Fixed by careful mods to the release button so that the mag has dropped out before the button/thumb blockage can happen on the right side of the grip and a modest rounding of the rectangular edges on the button side solves an issue if for the particular shooter it WAS an issue.

To the above, a gun carried on the right hip and the mag release is protected between body and gun. On the left hip the release button is exposed to getting bumped and turning the gun into a single shot. Find a holster that covers the mag release (very few), the bevel/round off helps, strengthening the tension on the release to make it harder to push and do NOT use an extended mag release on any gun to be used for anything other than competition.

Within reason the Glock's safeties are not compromised with a better trigger break. Better as in more "snap" and less creep-crunch, rather than just lower pull weight. Limiting trigger travel after the trigger has released the striker aids accuracy. Need to have a more crisp trigger if your accuracy standard is humanoid size at 21 feet? No. Want to head shoot that raccoon off the back fence 30 yards away? Big benefit.

Overtravel is addressed three ways. 1. A fancy and spendy entire trigger assembly with pre and post travel set screws is NOT a good idea or necessary on a carry gun. 2. Trigger housings with a set screw added that block the cruciform trigger bar from more backward travel than needed can be bought for under $20 or even DYI for the handy among us. Just needs some multiple disassemblies to move the set screw to the ideal depth, or 3, a connector that has an extra tab that after doing what the connector does stops further trigger travel (some have a fixed tab, some come with an overly long tab that requires fitting by filing the tab more short, but the latter also allows the best final result.

Rick

Jason D. likes this.