Hmmmmmm..Honda 929RR

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by mmsig229, Jun 5, 2005.

1. mmsig229

mmsig229

Help me decide on my mid life crisis bike...I have a Harley Softail, but may get a sport bike for fun. A pal is selling his 2001 929. It only has about 3,000 miles on it, and other than needing a new rear tire, and a little repair on a side fairing, it looks to be in real nice shape. I thing he'll take about $4,500 for it. Good bike????Any known mechanical problems with this model????I'd have a mechanic check it out first. Insurance won'r be a problem for an old goat like me either...

2. William

William Mostly Lurking Millennium Member

Yes, there was a recall on that specific year and model.. do a search on http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov

Make: HONDA
    Model: CBR929RR
    Type: ANY
    Year: 2001
    Recall Number: 00V403000
    Summary:
    VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MOTORCYCLES. WHEN THE CLUTCH LEVER IS RELEASED TO THE FRICTION POINT, BUT THE LEVER IS NOT COMPLETELY RELEASED TO FULLY ENGAGE THE CLUTCH, STRONG CLUTCH DISK VIBRATION MAY OCCUR AT THE HIGHER ENGINE RPMS USED FOR RAPID OR RACE-TYPE STARTS. THIS STRESS CAN CAUSE THE CLUTCH TO FAIL.
    Consequence:
    THIS FAILURE RESULTS IN SEVERAL LARGE SECTIONS CRACKING AND EVENTUALLY SEPARATING FROM THE CLUTCH OUTER. IF THIS OCCURS, REAR LOCK-UP IS POSSIBLE IF A BROKEN PIECE IS CAUGHT IN THE PRIMARY DRIVE GEAR. ALSO, THE ENGINE COULD LOSE PRIMARY IGNITION AND STOP SUDDENLY IF A BROKEN PIECE DAMAGES THE PULSAR ROTOR; OR ENGINE OIL COULD LEAK FROM THE CRANKCASE, IF A BROKEN PIECE IS FORCED THROUGH THE CRANKCASE. THE SPILLED OIL COULD CAUSE THE REAR WHEEL TO LOSE TRACTION AND THE MOTORCYCLE COULD CRASH.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL INSTALL A CLUTCH KIT THAT INCLUDES A REDESIGNED OUTER CLUTCH BASKET, JUDDER SPRING, CLUTCH LIFTER LEVER, AND OTHER PARTS INTENDED TO REDUCE STRESS ON THE CLUTCH.
    Notes:
    OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-310-783-3772. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

The 929RR is a good street bike. Not really special in any specific categories, but a good all-around sportbike. Here's a review of it that you can read up on.. click here.

3. EZFLY80

EZFLY80

A friend of mine had one and the only reason he doesnt have it any more is because he wrecked it. He now has a 2005 GSXR 1000 and still swears that the 929 was the best bike hes ever had. So with that said, if you can get a 929 with 3000 miles on it for $4500 DO IT! They were only made for 2 years so the chances of getting one as clean and with as low a mileage as that one for such a good price is slim to none. My opinion, BUY IT!

4. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

I really liked the big CBRs. Though I'm not really comfortable with the riding position.

FWIW, there's a lot of 2001'ish bikes that can be had for ~$4500.

I recently got a 2002 ZRX1200R with 6800mi for $5300 OTD at a dealer. My wife bought it for me and felt more comfortable buying at the dealer, though she coulda possibly saved some money on the private market.