Hmmmm, is stretching useless?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by BCR, Aug 29, 2007.

1. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Now that I've been working out at home I just realized something. I haven't done any stretching at all. I always used to stretch at the gym, between and after sets. And I don't feel any different than before.

I don't feel tighter or less flexible. I am not more injury prone, and am lifting a lot heavier than I was.

I still firmly believe in warming up with light sets, but just don't stretch at all, after or before lifting.

Does anyone else think stretching is a bunch of poo poo?

2. DBradD

DBradD Guest

I seem to remember Enamait stating something like this in NG. He said something like: do exercises with large rom (deep squats, divebomber pushups, etc.) and not worry about it.

The CFWU only has one static stretch, so they don't think much of stretching pre-WO. I think they even think that it's not good to stretch then. They just recommend a big circuit 3 times 15 reps of (forgot the order) pullups, dips, situps, pvc pipe OHS, back extensions, and this really goofy thing called a samson stretch. I think that's just included to test one's character while in a gym with other people around--look like a complete girly man doing it.

I'm not sure what I think about it personally. I try to do Pavel's Super Joints mobility drills very often, but I don't know if it really does anything. If anything, my joints are worse off than they've ever been, but other errors are probably responsible. I've wondered a few times if going through those ROM for such a huge # of reps grinds the joint down rather than helps it. He recommends 1 rep per year of age. That's a lot!! I used to do more like 10-15 reps, but last week decided to get religious about it and do 36. Now my right shoulder is hurting even though I haven't done anything else. My neck and back feel good. Right knee (tripped over the dog and hurt it) is worse and my left knee is actually hurting a little even though I haven't done any lower body work.

3. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I do think stretching before is bad.

I used to love seeing guys at the gym (who I know just got there) pulling and yanking on every muscle before they started lifting.

I used to stretch my chest quite a bit after working it. I was told by my physical therapist to do this because I have Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (similar symptoms to Carpal Tunnel). It never seeemed to help.

Now that I've stopped stretching I feel a lot better. And my grip strength seems to be coming back. Before I could barely get 1 rep on the #1 CoC gripper (140lbs) and now I'm getting atleast 5 reps. And I haven't really been working with the gripper, I just grab it once a week and fart around with it.

In theory stretching makes sense to me, but now I'm finding it might not be worth it.

I've read that stretching before can actually make you weaker and slower. Something about the muscle loosing its elasticity.

But a proper warmup is still very important.

4. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I never got anything out of static stretching. Ballistic stretching is where it's at. If I had stuck with ballistic stretching and developing range of motion, my hamstring blowout would never have happened.

Static stretching lengthens the muscle, but does little to nothing for the tendons and ligaments. A muscle tear will heal fairly quickly, but a tendon might never heal. The tear in my hamstring (belly of the muscle torn in two) healed in less than a couple months. The tendon had to be sewn back onto the hip (it was completely torn off) and took several months longer to heal.

If I had properly prepared with increasing the tendon's capacity and range, the injury would never have happened.

5. Glock13

Glock13

I got thoracic outlet from not stretching...boy did it suck. Arms would go numb after about 5 reps. Went to a physical therapist and he gave me a stretch...worked perfect. It is a really good chest stretch. If anyone needs one, let me know. I will explain it.

6. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Yep, I had the same thing.

Odd though, that my symptoms decreased when I stopped stretching.

I have no idea why, and am NOT implying that stretching made it worse. Just an odd thing.

7. Glock13

Glock13

Did he give you the chest stretch where you go into the corner and put your arms up and push in (kind of like a pec dec). That's the one I've been doing and it works wonders. But yeah, thoracic outlet syndrome sucks.

8. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Yes, he showed me that one. I did them in a doorway, as I have no un-cluttered corners in my house.

Good to hear they work for you. I never really got much out of them. Perhaps I wasn't doing them enough.