close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hmmm..this sucks. Busted head gasket?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Detectorist, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Detectorist

Detectorist

If it is, I'm screwed. No money for repair or another car.

Yesterday checked my oil and it had a few whitish streaks on the dip stick. Checked my coolant and there was brown gunk around the filler neck....

This morning, no white streaks on dip stick but still have brown gunk around the radiator filler neck.

Mechanics, am I screwed?

2. Rick305

Rick305 ra1sales.com

Maybe it blew itself because it couldn't stand being in the car with a high point ..;

(had to)

3. Restless28

Restless28

GM?

And, yes. This sounds like head gasket or intake.

4. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

define "gunk" around fill bottle neck.

what color is your anti freeze?

did the car just become a cropduster?

when did you change your oil last?

5. Detectorist

Detectorist

1994 ford Ranger 4.0

6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

So fix it. I recommend a Haynes manual.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d0dKrZLlqA"]1991 Ford Ranger head gasket replacement 3.0 L V6 Install Remove Replace - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  7. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Coolant loss rate ?
    Bubbles in the coolant running with the radiatior cap off [Don't take it off with the system under pressure]

8. Adjuster

Adjuster

Head gaskets can be labor intensive but not overly difficult. The cost of the gasket itself is very inexpensive. Get yourself a digital camera and photographs every nut, bolt, tube, wire, screw, hose etc etc.. Write down notes to help you remember where everything goes. Then start your disassembly. Replace the gasket following all proper common gasket procedures. Reassemble and change your oil.

/

9. dango

dango

Not everybody has the tools to attempt this task plus the fact
    1994 ! Only one that could guess if it's even worth it or not would be you , the OP ! How close to total self destruction is the vehicle as a whole. Knowledge can be bought but there are a lot of little things that need major attention ! Not everybody out there can change a head gasket!

If the vehicle is worth it , a used engine might be easier !

10. Redheadhunter21

Redheadhunter21

Brown gunk on filler neck could be a mix of dirt and rust and not at all a real problem on a 94, as long as it is contained to filler neck clean it with a rag. Milky oil is no good, do an oil change and you will know if you have a problem, change oil filter too.

If oil looks good and truck is not overheating your good to go, head gaskets take some time but are pretty much a parts swap job no real mechanical knowledge required. YouTube it and even a monkey can accomplish it.

11. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

A head gasket would be the most likely possibility and the cheapest to replace.
    Also, a cracked cylinder head, or even a cracked block could be causing your issue.

The cheapest, easiest remedy that may buy you some time (and miles) is an additive that will seal the leak, such as Bars Leak. You need to check with your local parts store to see what that have available.

Anti-freeze in your oil (depending on the amount) will eventually ruin your bearings ANDyour engine.

Oil in your cooling system will "coat" the water passages in your engine and prevent the coolant from cooling your engine which will lead to overheating and eventually engine failure.

If your truck is worth fixing, I'd suggest not driving it until you get the leak fixed, and the oil/filter changed as well as the cooling system.

12. elsolo

elsolo

I think those 4.0's used to crack the head rather frequently, between the valve seats.

Complete junkyard motor will be about $600
    It's not a big deal, just a little labor.

13. Dave.1

Dave.1

Are you any where near one of those do it yourself garage rental places?

As has been mentioned, it's mostly a labor intensive job. The places I've seen where you rent a bay usually have all the tools you need. If you have all your own tools then a garage is all you really need.

Good Luck

Dave

14. JMS

JMS 02

Why leave yourself in a position with no money?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  15. RenoF250

RenoF250

Are you aware of the economy? I doubt he chose to put himself in that position.

16. dango

dango

Yeap ! The "junkyard" or church to some of us is the solution for
    me more times than I can count.

17. Keoking

Keoking

Drive it until it catches fire.

18. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Could even be a cracked block. You may be screwed, but if it still runs you may have time to commence evasive action.

determine the value of the vehicle even if scrap. Start figuring out what you can afford. There has to be some give somewhere. Also look at financing deals.

I just found my 200k miles Camry was leaking oil and PS fluid but got em both fixed for $500. stuck it on the credit card.

While it was in the shop and I was expecting worse, the overnight rentacar was a dealership corolla, a late model. Pretty nice for a little hampster wheel. decent audio, ipod hook up, overdrive, AC , power windows. Can get one new for 18ish and 0 financing. Not a bad lifeboat if things were ever desperate.

19. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

There you go. Call a junkyard on general principle. Or take it out back and just put a bullet in it. You need new wheels.

20. Detectorist

Detectorist

Well, still trying to figure out this. Someone told me it might just be moisture in the oil reacting to additives..

So, I removed the radiator cap and let the car idle for 15 minutes. No bubbles coming up. After warmup, no white smoke coming from the tailpipe. Also no white ring around the oil filler cap.

I did discover where some of my coolant is going. The fitting on the reservoir where the the hose plugs in from the radiator is leaking. Saw coolant come out of there...the overflow tank is not available any more. Looks like a job for JB weld.