HK21 semi auto; worth it?

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by JollyGreen80, Mar 4, 2020.

1. JollyGreen80

JollyGreen80

Hello all,

Just checking yo see if anyone here has had any trigger time behind a semi auto HK21 (or a full auto one I suppose.) I'm considering getting one in semi auto (all my state allows unfortunately) because the ability to swap out for magazines, and calibers is pretty appealing. Is the gun worth the price tag on the few builds out there?

2. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

IMO, no. It’s essentially a 18-20 lb semi-auto 7.62 that costs a small fortune. The novelty will wear off pretty quickly between lugging it around and picking up disintegrating links.

3. DrewBone

DrewBone

I've got no trigger time behind one but I can say a couple of things about them, i.e., bypass any standard configuration 21 and go right to the 21E model (if you're unaware of the differences I strongly suggest that you educate yourself regarding both models before proceeding), and IMHO they are definately NOT worth the high price tag that they demand. But if you have the $$ to burn check with both RDTS and Michael's Machines for available examples, and for "upgrades" that each entity can perform on factory semi H&K 91's etc. if you'd rather them build one to suit you using your own semi H&K firearm as the host:

RDTS...

Michael's Machines...

JollyGreen80 likes this.
  4. JollyGreen80

JollyGreen80

Great information, I did look into both of them, and while I'd definitely go the E over the standard, ultimately it would just be a very expensive G3 platform to me.

Out of curiosity, did you notice any issues feeding from mags (if you fired it that way) vs belts? I've seen M249's can take mags but apparently they tend to chew them up pretty good from what I hear. I'm wondering if that's the case with the 21E.

5. DrewBone

DrewBone

Like I mentioned above I have no trigger time behind any of the H&K21 models (though I have with the MP5 and 51). I do know that there is a magazine adapter for the H&K21 that takes the place of the feed mechanism, though it may be model specific and I'm afraid I don't know of it's worthiness.

I suggest making your way over to HKPRO where you'll find all kinds of information regarding the different H&K models that will help (or confuse) your decision making process ;)

HKPRO discussion forum...

One popular choice if you don't want to spring for the belt feed models would be the model 11, which is the H&K 91 model enhanced with a quick change heavy barrel/shroud setup +...

And another firm to look into for H&K beltfed/rifle mod goodness would be Beltfed Precision Products:

Beltfed Precision Products...

Have fun!!

JollyGreen80 likes this.
  6. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

If you going to drop that kind of coin on one you need to be looking for registered pack or auto sear . And plan on picking up a sear ready mp5 and sear ready rifle .

7. Valmet

A semi-auto 21 is still going to be less than half of what a registered sear is bringing these days.

FullClip likes this.
  8. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

I dont keep up with sear prices . But last I heard belted precision 21s in coast gaurd configuration was 11k I freely admit I dont know what all options that included. And that was some time ago 2012-2014 time frame.

Valmet likes this.
  9. Valmet

Sear prices lately seem to be $25k+

ThomasM4 likes this.