HK USPc - 357Sig - brings the rain! First range report!

Discussion in 'TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club' started by NitLion, Sep 13, 2020.

1. NitLion

NitLion

I have been to the range in some crappy weather this year...cold, rain, wind but mostly heat. But I am an outdoor range kinda guy, so I persevere!! We have had very little rain lately and four days before this trip there was none forecast!
    Well, my new (to me) HK USPc seems to have not only provided the thunder, but also brought the rain! This USPc started life as a .40, but I converted it to 357Sig via a Rim Country Manufacturing barrel. And here are the first three shots @14 yards using Federal American Eagle - 125g - FMJ:

USPc fed paper.jpg

Well, that sure was a promising start!! Imagine my surprise when I then went to the steel @18 yard and only hit on one outta three shots!! I sussed that I was shooting low and then went 3/3 on the other 18 yard steel (8" round). Very few misses the first time around, as I went out farther in distance. I did miss the gong once at 26 yards.... and the far steel at 50 yards once. This was one of three knockdowns at 36 yards:

USPc fed KD.jpg

I hit each one on the first shot! The next time around the steels, I had a few misses as well but overall....not bad here were the numbers:

4-6 on 7.2x12" small silhouette steel 18 yards
    5-6 on other 18 yard steel (8" round)
    4-6 on the 26 yard gong
    5-6 on the popper @ 32 yards away
    2-2 on the 8" square knockdown target at 36 yards
    2-2 on the 8" round knockdown target at 36 yards
    2-2 on the 7.2x12" small silhouette knockdown target at 36 yards
    9-13 on the 50 yard steel

Here was the 5-6 on the popper @ 32 yards away:
    USPc fed popper more.jpg

You can see, the first time around, I was hitting low. The second time around I was more on target... but also missed once! Function was perfect with the Federal ammo...and, I should say, the new RCM barrel!!

This USPc is a decock/safety version. Not my favorite set-up as I like decock only guns! However, unlike the FNP-357 and several others I have shot, I never inadvertently bumped it into safe.... when I tried using it as only as decocker. The lever is placed well (at least for my hands) and has a good detent!
    Next load up was Great Lakes Ammunition - 121g - FN (RL) and here are six shots at 14 yards with it:

USPc gla paper more.jpg

And six shots on steel to my left at 18 yards:

USPc gla steel more.jpg

I had a nice tight three shot group on steel to my right but also missed three shots!! I will say I was fighting dim lighting (made even more so as I backed under the pavilion for cover), plus foggy and rain speckled shooting glasses. I don't say this to make excuses for myself, but to say IT WAS ME and not the pistol or ammo. Here were the numbers with GLA:

6-6 on 7.2x12" small silhouette steel 18 yards
    3-6 on other 18 yard steel (8" round)
    5-6 on the 26 yard gong
    2-6 on the popper @ 32 yards away
    2-5 on the 8" round knockdown target at 36 yards
    2-3 on the 7.2x12" small silhouette knockdown target at 36 yards
    9-10 on the 50 yard steel

Still, all-in-all, not terrible! The Great Lakes Ammo ran without a bobble as well!! Here is the 9 of 10 at the far steel. A lot barely got on there but...they did get on there!:
    USPc gla far steel more.jpg

I have always meant put my Forty barrels in my various pistols, and shoot them that way occasionally...but the 357 is just soo fun. Now with the ammo crunch , I think I will start actually doing it more!
    That IS what I did here. A quick change and NOW the next load up was LAX ammo - 180g - FMJ (RL) 40 S&W and here are six shots at 14 yards with it!!:

USPc lax40 paper more.jpg

Perfect six-fer-sixes on both 18 yard steels! Here Was steel to my right:

USPc lax40 round steel more.jpg

My first miss came at 26 yards but still 5/6 on the gong. Here are the first three:

USPc lax40 gong.jpg

Similar results on the popper going 5/6, but then the knockdowns were elusive:

2-4 on the 8" round knockdown target at 36 yards
    0-6 on the 7.2x12" small silhouette knockdown target at 36 yards

A respectable 6-8 on the far steel at 50 yards rounded things out. The LAX ammo ran without a hitch as well soo... Perfect function for the day!!

Totals for this gun:
    100 rounds of 357 Sig representing 2 loads
    50 rounds of 40 S&W representing 1 load

Parting shot - a muddy knockdown target hit with Great Lakes Ammo at 36 yards:

USPc gla kd more.jpg

silversport likes this.
  2. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

Good shooting. The first .357 sig gun I fired was a uspc. I remember being shocked at how easy it was to shoot. This notion that .357 sig is hard to shoot is a flat out lie that needs to die with RBG.

silversport likes this.