HK USP Compact

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by Deputydave, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

So awhile back I traded for a USP9c with night sights and a couple of mags. DA/SA with the safety/decocker. A bit afterwards a guy on AL had a complete upper in 40 S&W so I bought it to have a 2-n-1 pistol.

[​IMG]

Finally had the opportunity to take it to the range this afternoon. This is the first time I've shot a USPc. I decided to put the 40 slide on and test it in this configuration. Just like it's P2000 40 S&W cousin I loved it! The texturing is a bit more aggressive than the P2000 but I didn't notice it at all while firing. And it was 'balls on' accurate! Very happy about it. I had it out around or a bit past 15 yards and head shots were a snap. I ended the session by shooting the little target in the upper left hand corner of the target at around 20 yards. Most shots were touching and all shots easily fit in less than the palm of my hand. I fired the first shot DA and the rest SA. The DA of course was a longer, heavier trigger pull but was still very crisp. Having started my career on revolvers, this DA trigger pull was a piece of cake. The SA trigger pull was like butter soft.

So I'm very happy with this pistol. Now I need to make the decision to either swap the night sights from the 9mm slide to the 40 slide or purchase new sights for the 40 slide. I might see about carrying this pistol a bit to see how well I like it as an EDC. It would be the heaviest pistol I have currently in that compact size, but I have a good holster and a Kore Essential CCW gun belt so it would be a good test all the way around.

My son popped off a mag through the USPc and liked it as well.

If I like carrying the USPc I might just order sights for it. It would make a dandy 40 to carry for EDC if I handle the weight well. If not, maybe it will compete with the P2000 as a woods carry or maybe just stay as a HD pistol. In which case I'll just put the 9mm barrel back on for HD.

kdj70, TGT, HAMMERHEAD and 5 others like this.
  2. dre23

dre23

Congrats! I miss the USPc .40 stainless slide I had. Young and Dumb 20 years ago.

3. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

Congrats! One of the best polymer guns out there. Always thought it could have ruled if they would have made it to accept 1913 pic lights. I know why they didn’t. But, their old light is so far surpassed nowadays.
    They should redesign the frame slightly to accept modern weapon lights. Sell the model again and offer frame replacements for a $100 and rule the world. I know they have the P and VP series, but this was a whole other level of old school cool and workmanship.

pgg00, GlockTrader45, chemboy and 2 others like this.
  4. benben

benben

In 1997 I bought a USPc in .40, I remember I paid exactly $575.00 for it brand new. I sold it to a co-worker in 2007 for $775.00. That was the price he came up with and offered.

Me and this guy shot at lunch every Tuesday & Thursday so he probably put over a thousand rounds through it himself. He HAD to have it and practically begged me to sell it to him for a year! And I did.......

Biggest gun related mistake I’ve ever made, regret is a huge understatement! But fortunately I do have 5 other HK pistols.

Congratulations on your new USPc, bet you can’t wear it out! ;)

GlockTrader45 and Deputydave like this.
  5. Deputydave

I bet you're right ;)

As I mentioned in the other thread, it is heavy on the hip. 6+ ounces more than a comparable G19/23 and 10+ ounces more than the P365. So I may just keep this in a HD role or possibly woods carry and matches. But it was a great shooter!

6. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

It's the only firearm that I don't own that fits my hand like a glove. If I ever find a deal I'll own one. Good score.

Deputydave likes this.
  7. Deputydave

I know everything is getting snapped up right now, but I have seen them fairly recently (Police trade ins) in 40 S&W for like $399. I don't recall where, it was one of the many email flyers I get from time to time.

I think 45CalDan just had one and he's in your neck of the woods. I think he had it for sale as well. Both of you guys are just a hop, skip and a jump from me as well.

But yeah, it is a heavy but a comfy feeling pistol.

chemboy and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  8. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

The weight isn't a huge factor for me. I'd like it in 9, I don't stock 40 anymore. I've found keeping my ammo to primarily NATO specs helps me sleep better at night. I stockpile NATO, I keep 50-100 rounds of niche stuff. I don't reload.

Deputydave likes this.
  9. chemboy

chemboy

If I happen across a P30 or USPc in .40 I will buy it! How’s that for a fan boy?
    Gimme that kool aid, Herr Heckler und Herr Koch.:dancingbanana::dancing:

Deputydave likes this.
  10. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Congrats!
    I always wanted to USPc 9mm to go along with my USP 45.
    I like Heinie night sights for USP's.

Deputydave likes this.
  11. DrewBone

DrewBone

Nice! In my opinion you can't go wrong with the H&K USP pistol platform; it was originally designed around the .40S&W cartridge so it's built like a tank. This and they're as reliable as the day is long, they have great ergos, they're very accurate, and lastly they're soft shooting.

Now, get yourself a 357sig barrel for your USP40C and you'll have yourself a 3-n-1 pistol! I highly recommend RCM for such a barrel...they're meticulous about everything they manufacture and they produce excellent H&K products of outstanding quality. I can vouch for them as I own two of their 357sig conversion barrels; one for my P30 and another for my Steyr M40, the latter of which I lent them to reverse engineer (at my suggestion on behalf of all the frustrated Steyr owners after Steyr left us high and dry regarding the 357sig version of their M series pistols and the unavailability of 357sig barrels) so they could manufacture and become a provider of quality conversion barrels for the Steyr pistols chambered in .40S&W:

Rim Country Manufacturing, H&K USP Compact 357sig conversion barrel @$175...

About the sights...I'd say purchase a separate dedicated set of sights for the .40S&W slide and leave the 9mm be....it's only money ;)

Thanks for posting and enjoy your C model :D

chemboy and Deputydave like this.
  12. Deputydave

I appreciate the suggestion and the link. Very tempting!

DrewBone likes this.
  13. Deputydave

I'm going to do some out loud thinking, anyone/everyone feel free to jump in with your thoughts...

The Glock 23, when it comes out in Gen 5 will be a bit heavier and thicker than previous gens. This would put the w/unloaded magazine weight at approx. 26.6 ounces (a 3 ounce increase over previous gens). Add in another 7.5 ounces of weight when the mag is loaded for 34.1 total ounces (weight of mag loaded with 13 rounds per Glock's website). My HK USPc 40 is 30.6 ounces w/unloaded magazine, 38.1 ounces total when loaded (actually a bit less I'm assuming because the HK mag will hold one less round than the Glock). So there is only a 4 ounce difference between the Glock and the HK (and probably just a pinch less). Although at the moment I'm hot for a Gen 5 G23 when they come out, I'm starting to question whether 4 ounces difference (or a touch less) is enough of a difference? If the slide, as has been discussed in the Gen 5 threads is 2mm thicker that would only put it 1mm shy of the thickness of the USPc (34mm vs. 35mm). The G23 would have one more round of capacity. So the weight, thickness and capacity are in favor of the Glock but by a pretty razor thin margin overall.

I already have the USPc40. All I'd need, as discussed above would be night sights for the 40 slide and very possibly a 357sig barrel as suggested by Drew and others. So between the price of a 357sig barrel and night sights I'm looking at a ball park of $300 into the platform I already have which would give me a 3-n-1 pistol. And a pistol that was specifically designed for 40 S&W. And one that I've shot and I know I'm pretty much balls-on accurate with, specifically using the 40 slide. I may be talking myself out of a G23 which even a blue label prices (assuming Gen 5 is the same as right now) with night sights would be in the area of $500 give-or-take. That isn't counting a 357sig drop in barrel and 9mm conversion barrel which probably another $300+.

I'm going to have to put some thought into this...

14. Deputydave

Adding into the mix, I have a P2000 in 40 S&W. I also have a 357sig barrel for it. It has night sights (they are fairly bright but I do not know how old they are). I'd have to see if I could get a 9mm conversion barrel for it. Same thickness as the USPc with a wieight w/loaded magazine of 32.46 ounces. That's 5.64 ounces less than the USPc and actually 1.64 ounces less than a Gen 5 Glock 23.

I've not fired it with the 357sig barrel but I do have a range review in another thread with the 40 S&W barrel and it was simply fantastic! It's a V2 DAO trigger which was very smooth. So if I went with the P2000 I would only need the 9mm conversion barrel for the complete 3-n-1 pistol platform I've been looking for with a weight savings over the other two options.

Some research will have to be put into this angle.

15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

A loaded Glock 23 should be under 32 oz. It also holds one round more than the P2000.

I thought the 23 wasn't available in gen 5 yet?

16. Deputydave

It's not.

In Gen 5 is is purported to be about 3 ounces heavier than current gen models. That's why the estimate is about 34 ounces.

Correct. That's why I'm weighing the pros and cons. The G23 will hold one more round (and have access to the higher capacity mags of the G22) but the USP was designed around the 40 S&W from the ground up and by extension so was the P2000. And I already have both the USPc and P2000 (and the P2000 would be slightly lighter than a Gen 5 G23). That's why I'm leaning away from Glock and much more towards HK. For about half the price of getting a G23.5 (even at blue label) and 9mm conversion barrel and 357sig barrel I can simply outfit my USPc and P2000 with the barrels I need and one set of night sights. Thus two different 3-n-1 pistols instead of just one.