Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only ever had HK experience with the VP9, and I was not impressed. I did run across a USP 9 that looked like a well made firearm, and I was wanting honest opinions. Not salesman tactics. Would it be worth the investment to go ahead and pick one up while I can for under $500? I would appreciate all the info I can get.

·
Banned
65,071 Posts
I have only ever had HK experience with the VP9, and I was not impressed. I did run across a USP 9 that looked like a well made firearm, and I was wanting honest opinions. Not salesman tactics. Would it be worth the investment to go ahead and pick one up while I can for under $500? I would appreciate all the info I can get.
Yes. Get it, especially for under $500.

Excellent accuracy, built like a tank, works like a charm. What else can one ask for?

·
Registered
20,918 Posts
They are very good guns. I have several USPs. Just keep in mind it is hammer fired instead of striker fired so your controls and trigger are going to be different

·
Registered
798 Posts
Did you have a chance to handle the USP and what is the condition like?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I also like about it, I'm more of a DA/SA hammer-fired kind of guy. My only striker fired handgun is my Glock 19, and I can't say it has a great trigger.
No, unfortunately I have not been able to handle it, and the only HKs I run across here are the VP9's. Bleh

·
Fightin' Fire
2,069 Posts
If it is in good shape and under $500, you can't go wrong. It would be easy to get a return on your investment should you decide that it's not for you.
At the time I did not like the decocker, coming from a SIG it just did not seem right and I traded it off on something else. In my later years I've come to like them more and have a few USP's that I now enjoy. The standard trigger is somewhat of a disappointment and I much prefer the match trigger.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Helluva gun for under $500....

Possibly consider a P30?

Look into which trigger is in the USP also... they make one called the LEM, which keeps it at a SA pull every time... I found it very nice but my purposes would be competitive... & I'm a striker guy...

·
Banned
8,027 Posts
You can change trigger variant easily and with HK's blessing on the USP's. Also, if you get it I have an OEM 31 rd. mag in the plastic/brand new I'll sell at a great deal for you.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I'd jump on a USP9 for that price, unless the gun is beat to hell.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,559 Posts
Howdy,

I have spent a lot of time behind the trigger of a USP...mostly in the compact for in 9mm, 40 and 45...and have nothing bad to say about the pistols. They are solid, hard working pistols, and very reliable.

I had about 16,000 rounds through one 9mm and never had a problem with it. It would have to be set up for failure in failure drills. It was dragged through some serious training and was not treated gently. About every 500 to 800 rounds it liked a cleaning and lube...but still worked.

For that price: I'd grab it.

Its not a slender work of art by any means but if you're looking for a compact duty sized pistol it's hard to beat.

·
Registered
126,003 Posts
The USP is a much more beefy and solid pistol than is the VP9.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've often wanted one in 9mm because I'm very pleased with my USP .45 Compact. I remember reading someplace they like hot (+P) ammo and sometimes have issues with weak range ammo. Not an issue for me in a self-defense gun.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My next handgun will be a full size USP 9mm. After February. . .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts