HK USP 9/40 compact vs. Glock 19/23

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by Deputydave, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

As I detailed in my other USP compact thread, I got the chance to shoot the USPc using the 40 S&W slide I talked about above. It shot great, as I expected. When I got home my son and I went for a walk around the neighborhood. I decided to don the Kore Essential belt and carry the USPc40. It's 6+ ounces heavier than a G23 would be and 10+ ounces heavier than my P365. So it's fairly substantial over the other two choices. And since it was hot-n-humid outside it was a good test. My determination is that while I 'could' carry this pistol as an EDC, I don't think I'd want to. In the past I've carried full sized pistols like the G17. These days though that P365 sure feels a lot better, particularly in a Florida summer and shorts. It was just a heavy pistol. I just don't think I'd want to be carrying it around all day if I had other appropriate choices.

Now as an open carry, like when I'm out hiking/camping may be a different thing. So for now I've put the 9mm slide back on (it has night sights) and it's a good HD pistol.

As far as a G23, it's looking more and more like they'll be producing one in the Gen 5 platform. If so, I'll get one. I might carry my G19.5FS around a bit because it would be virtually the same as a G23.5. See if I like it well enough or if I've just gotten too spoiled by the P365, lol.

:)

glowrod likes this.
  2. Deputydave

It's been about 2 1/2 months since I originally posted the OP. I've since tried the USPc as a CCW again and have changed my original perception on how it carries. Yes, much heavier than the P365 of course, but I've actually found it quite doable. Given the right clothing in conjunction with the Kore Essentials CCW belt it is fine for EDC. I've purchased a Kydex Shooting Gear mag holster for a spare mag and have it loaded with 180 HST.

In regards to the Gen 5 G23, while I was hot for one months ago I've since changed my mind. The USPc offers more of the features that I prefer and overall, imo, is a much better pistol than the Glock.

Glock 17L, Pred8tory and chemboy like this.

3. Deputydave

Another member on GT just got a Gen 5 G22 and G23 and posted the weights. The G23.5 with empty magazine weighs in at 26.7oz. My USPc in 40 S&W weighs 27.36 ounces with empty magazine.That's just over a half ounce difference. Considering the Glock has one additional round that should put the weight about even.

So that makes me feel pretty good about the choice of the HK. IIRC, I got the HK before I knew about the Gen 5's coming out in 40 S&W. I've always liked the G23 and it's probably my overall favorite Glock model. But with the weight begin pretty much identical I feel very good about the HK choice. Particularly since the HK has more of the features I prefer better.

Glock 17L and chemboy like this.
  4. chemboy

chemboy

Dave,
    Once all this ammo/gun shortage craziness blows over, I’m going to look hard for a USPc in .40 cal. I know the USPc 9x19 has quickly become one of my favorite handguns-period.
    I sure can’t see the 40 cal version disappointing!

Glock 17L and Deputydave like this.
  5. Deputydave

I lucked into that 40 S&W upper, maybe you’ll come across one as well.

Glock 17L and chemboy like this.
  6. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

I am glad I picked up a USP v1 in 9mm a few years ago..installed the LEM kit to make it a lite LEM...

Deputydave likes this.
  7. Glock 17L

Glock 17L

Three months ago I sold my Glock 24.3 & 26.4 for twice what they cost me + my Colt Custom Shop Comp 1911 too..

I was then in the look for something else & I stopped at a local Pawn Shop & was looking threw the glass cases at all the Rugers, Glocks, Colts, Walthers, SIG Sauers, etc. & then I saw Two HK USP Compact 40 S&Ws marked $579.99 & $649.99 the stainless one was cheaper by $70. OH MY!! HaHa!! Yummy!!
    And Hey that 10mm Ruger GP100 was cool too..
    The stainless KH one had no box & one 10 round magazine..
    The blued AD one has the box & two ten round magazines..
    I went ahead & bought the discontinued stainless one & have now put the blued one on Lay-A-Way & they lowered the price by $50 to $600 + .07% Indiana Tax..

I picked up five more magazines from a guy at HKPRO & now have six total = 3 10 rounders & 3 12 rounders.. $15 each
    Magazines I.jpg Magazines II.jpg Magazines III.jpg

Here's Me Looking Into the Gun Case & SEE TWO HK USP40Cs & a Ruger GP100 10mm

S&S Brother's in Jeffersonville Indiana
    Great Place To Shop

Twin HKs.jpg I found a NEW DeSantis Speed Scabbard on eBay for $18 that carries this pistol with ease.. Very Nice Quality for the money..
    I STOLE IT for that Price.. $18 SWEET!!
    DeSantis Speed Scabbard II.jpg
    I had 40 S&W ammo from having the Glock 24 so I am setup as far as the HK Goes for now.. Always Need MORE!!

Deputydave likes this.
  8. Deputydave

Very sweet deals! You stole those mags as well as the holster ;)

I keep going back to how much I like the USPc over the Glock. Nothing wrong with the Glock really, I suppose. But the HK just has the features I prefer and I feel that it's a better made, stronger pistol for 40 S&W and 357sig.

So congrats on the new pistols and the SS version really does look nice. Enjoy! :)

BTW, if it's of any interest, that Rim Country Mfg 357sig barrel I talked about early is a very nice addition. I'm not a big 357sig guy, but it's really nice to have the option of more than one caliber.

Glock 17L likes this.
  9. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

6 of one half dozen of the other. either will get you what you want. But with the Glock 23 you can switch to 2 other cals. by changing barrels and magazines.

10. Deputydave

Same with the USPc. Mine is a 3-in-1 pistol with 9mm, 40 S&W and 357sig.

[​IMG]

For me personally, I prefer a hammer-fired DA/SA pistol first and foremost. A DAO, like my P2000 is next in line. Striker-fired pistols come in third place. And with the USP being designed around the 40 S&W from the ground up, as opposed to most that simply took an existing 9mm platform and converted it to 40 S&W (including Glock) I have no doubt as to which is the stronger pistol overall. Everyone has a preference of course but I've found I've lost all desire for a G23.5. Just feel like I'd be going backward with one.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Glock 17L likes this.
  11. TheDuckhunter

TheDuckhunter

I have a USP .40c with a lite LEM trigger that I really like. I struggle with the mag release a bit due to having gone "almost all Glock," but such is life.

12. Deputydave

Do you have the stock mag paddles or the enhanced paddles? The enhanced paddles really make a difference although they are still in the same location along the bottom of the trigger guard. I've come to prefer the paddles over the button style to be honest. From the point of view of being able to use either side, in the case of an injury, they make a lot more tactical sense.

Glock 17L likes this.
  13. TheDuckhunter

TheDuckhunter

Stock, as far as I know. I will check into the enhanced paddles.

14. Deputydave

https://hkparts.net/product/extended-magazine-release-for-hk-pistols-p1669.htm

They are bigger, but not too big. Makes it a lot easier to drop the mag as you have more purchase with your thumb/finger. 45caldan here on the board recommended them to me and it was an excellent suggestion. I have them on my P2000 and USPc. I need to order them for my USP 45 as well.

15. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

H&K makes a fine pistol, but I would go with the G19. Same results but a lot less money.

16. TheDuckhunter

TheDuckhunter

Will changing to these mess up previous holster compatibility? Thanks!

17. Deputydave

They didn't with either my P2000 or USPc. Here's some photos for comparison;

[​IMG]

These are the stock paddles. This is my USP 45. I just ordered the enhanced mag release paddles this morning after our conversation reminded me I need them.

[​IMG]

Here is the enhanced paddle as pictured on my P2000. The enhanced paddles are $26 shipped. A bit pricey and imo should be how the stock ones look, but what are you going to do? It was easy to install (videos on YT) and to me made a very positive difference.

TheDuckhunter likes this.
  18. TheDuckhunter

TheDuckhunter

DeputyDave: Thanks for all the information!

Deputydave likes this.
  19. Glock 17L

Glock 17L

Deputydave likes this.
  20. Glock 17L

Glock 17L

NOTE: How close the DeSantis Speed Scabbard comes to the factory magazine release..
    If/When I get the extended I may have to trim the holster slightly..
    May wait & order up a spare parts package from George @ MGW..

DeSantis Speed Scabbard I.jpg
    DeSantis Speed Scabbard II.jpg
    Also NOTE: that if an Ambi Control Lever was used the holster would need to be trimmed too..
    See that the pistol must be in safe to insert properly..

Deputydave likes this.