HK USP 9/40 compact vs. Glock 19/23

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by Deputydave, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Understanding that this is Glock Talk and not HK Talk :p

I use to have a G23.3. Loved everything about it except for the finger grooves, personal preference. Traded it off years ago because of the finger grooves. I could shoot it just fine, just never felt right in my hand. Currently my EDC rotation is sub-compact sized pistols. Been thinking about putting in a compact sized pistol. My first thought was getting another G23, probably Gen 4 though the same finger groove problem would be present. Maybe just take the grooves down? Or maybe get a G19 Gen 5.

Then I thought that my USP 9 Compact would be a better option. Or, possibly pick up a USP 40 Compact. Finger grooves issue would be taken care of that way.

Tossing this out for discussion between the two platforms.

slamdunc likes this.
  2. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

I love my USP Compact.... But Glock is easier on maintenance parts.

I got my V1 converted to a Lite LEM, better than the Glock trigger.. and ergos are better as well.

slamdunc and Deputydave like this.

3. GlockWheeler

GlockWheeler

I have never owned a USP9 compact, but I have owned the USP40 compact. I would choose the Compact model over every 40 caliber Glock I have owned in all generations. Less perceived recoil for me and it was a better shooter for me. I would like to get a USP9 compact at some point.

DFM914, slamdunc and Deputydave like this.
  4. chemboy

chemboy

This is a tough one. I’ve 25 years experience or more? With the G19, so I would probably have to pick my ol reliable G19 gen3 with Trijicon HD’s as my choice. That being said, I am really liking my USPc 9X19 that I purchased recently. Time will tell!

EDIT: I think I may have misread the OPs post. I actually like the finger grooves on the Gen 3 Glocks, but I also like the USP grip type/ergos. Dave, I guess I would buy ‘em both! :cool:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    slamdunc, quasii and Deputydave like this.
  5. speedway

speedway

I like them both.

I stupidly traded off my USP40c and regretted it ever since. I was able to find another locally in brand new condition.

I tend to favor carrying the Glock. It’s easier to replace. F506161E-59DC-444D-A47F-712FE7CA41F8.jpeg

6. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Well first get the one you like best! Second I'd get the glock 23, you can get a change out barrel for 9mm from Storm Lake, some 9mm magazines and now you got a G19. I think you can do the same for 357. Easy to maintain and easy to carry. JMHO

Deputydave likes this.
  7. benben

benben

I bought a USPc in .40 in 1997 (or 98?), kept it for 10 years and traded it. I can't count the number of times I've regretted trading that pistol? It was a tank, the build construction, and fit & finish were definitely superior to Glock, and I love my Glocks!

Deputydave likes this.
  8. Deputydave

By my count, I've owned four G19's over the years. A Gen 2, 3 and two 5's. Liked them all, just never hung on to them. The last Gen 5 was bought used but was brand new/never shot for $350. But again, never hung on to it despite liking it quite a bit. I was offered $600 for it and never thought twice. I liked it, but I can pick up a Glock any day of the week.

The USP9c that I bought a little while back on the other hand just makes me also want a USP40c. If I found one I'd probably forget about a Glock 23 unless they came out with a Gen 5. In that case, yeah, might have to get one of those as well. I can shoot a Gen 3/4 with the finger grooves just fine, but it just doesn't fit my hand as well as the Gen 2 or 5.

chemboy likes this.
  9. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

Dave, I've got both platforms and the gen 4 23 seems to fit me just a bit better with the finger grooves. But I prefer the sa/da hammer fired guns for carry. For me I can't really say which one shoots better as it somewhat depends on the day, I guess. If I had to choose one, it would be the HK. My USPc seems to carry just a bit easier but that too could be because of the difference in holsters. If you're more of a fan of the no finger grooves, I think your choice is going to be somewhat easily decided.

Deputydave likes this.
  10. Deputydave

I had wanted a G23 almost from the time they came out. Never got around to getting one until 20 years later (around 2010 is when I bought a G23.3). Was just a pistol I always liked for some reason. That said, I really like the USP9 compact I have which makes me really think I’d prefer the USP 40 compact over the G23. If they came out with a Gen 5 G23 then maybe, but for now I’m leaning towards the USP 40 compact.

I like hammer fired, I like safety/decockers. And I prefer no finger grooves when possible.

11. Deputydave

I was unaware that you could swap complete slides from one caliber of USP compact to another USP compact caliber. I called HK and they verified that you could do this. If the deal works out I'm going to purchase a complete USP 40 compact slide (barrel, internals, sights) and one magazine tomorrow for my USP 9 compact. That way I have this set up as a 2-in-1 pistol. May pick up a 357sig barrel down the road if I find a good deal on one 'just because'.

If that deal goes through I may be very tempted to carry this in the EDC rotation. I'd have to pick up at least a couple more mags.

slamdunc and chemboy like this.
  12. DrewBone

DrewBone

Dave, the H&K USPC in .40S&W is probably 6 ounces heavier than the G23, but they're a rock solid, bulletproof, accurate, and versatile platform. I much prefer the ergonomics of the H&K to the non existant ergonomics of the Glock pistol line, and I think I only paid $400 for mine, shown on the left in the image below, which was a used LE turn-in with some honest wear:

20170423_120130.jpg

If you manage to secure it, I doubt very much that you'll regret it!

13. Deputydave

Just got back from purchase. Slide, internals, sights, RSA, barrel and one mag. Now I've got another 2-in-1 pistol (9mm and 40 S&W). Just ordered a couple more 40 mags for it to give me three total for now. Found them for $33 each on SWFA Outdoors. Only $3.99 shipping so felt it was a pretty decent deal from the prices I've seen elsewhere online. Probably start looking at night sights for it as well.

Yeah, as much as I like Glock, I'm not a Glock fanboy by any stretch. I 'liked' the Glock 23.3 I carried years ago. But just can't get comfortable with Glock finger grooves on their compact sized pistols. So this allows me to put a G23 sized pistol into my EDC rotation. Heavier yes, but more features that I like and prefer over the Glock. As you mentioned, better ergos over the G23 (imo). I like hammer-fired DA/SA pistols and I like manual thumb safeties/decockers. I've trained on them and just like them all the way around. From the other thread similar to this one, I've learned that the USPc was the first (and maybe only?) pistol designed around the 40 S&W from the ground up rather than simply converting an existing 9mm. And you can feel that when you hold it and look at the internals.

I'm enjoying getting it all set up. :)

Stillhuntn, RandomGuy and benben like this.
  14. Deputydave

It's a hard choice deciding which I like better for 40 S&W, my P2000 or USPc. The P2000 has a sweet DAO V2 trigger pull. The USPc has some features I also like such as a nice DA/SA trigger and safety/de-cocker. I'll have to shoot them side by side. I still need to add night sights to the USPc. I might just swap the night sights on the 9mm slide over to the 40 slide since I won't be using the 9mm slide all that much, if at all.

Ordered a couple of mags for the USPc (40 S&W), that gives me 7 total in 40 S&W for this pistol (since the mags are the same as the P2000 in 40 S&W).

Either is a good pistol to EDC if I want to carry a 40 instead of one of my 9mm's.

15. Deputydave

I didn’t realize the USPc was 5 ounces heavier than theP2000. I knew it was heavier than the G23. The P2000 in 40 S&W was very pleasant to shoot, so I can see where the USPc would even be better with the extra weight.

16. Deputydave

I ordered and received a Kore Essentials EDC gun belt which seems to be highly touted online as an excellent belt for this type of carry. I went ahead and ordered an OWB kydex holster for the USPc of the type I normally use. When it arrives all try the USPc in 40 with that holster and belt. Not expecting it to be as comfortable overall with the USPc as with my Sig P365 but wanted to see how it handles the extra weight which, with ammo, I'd figure to be around the 30 ounce mark.

This will give me the option to use it as a carry pistol for those times I feel like carrying a 40 S&W instead of a 9mm. I'll still need to swap the night sights from the 9mm slide over to the 40 slide since the 40 is what I'll be using, probably exclusively.

17. Deputydave

Well my holster arrived yesterday. So now I just need to swap the night sights from the 9mm slide over to the 40 slide and I'll have this as an option to put into the EDC rotation. Very curious how well I'll like it, from a comfort level, in conjunction with the new Kore Essential gun belt I got last week.

Only one way to find out :)

chemboy and RandomGuy like this.
  18. Deputydave

I discovered that the holster I just got for my USPc also fits my P2000 perfectly. Big score!

I decided to covert the USPc back to 9mm for use as a HD pistol. 9mm would be more manageable for my wife, particularly in the heavier USPc pistol. If I feel like carrying a 40 S&W I'll carry the P2000 so it will fill the woods carry role as well as being in the EDC rotation. This way I don't have to take the night sights off the USPc9 slide and put on the 40 slide. The 40 slide will simply be an extra to make this a 2-n-1 pistol to have on hand.

I really do like the feel of the P2000, I think even better overall than the USPc. And I know I like the trigger on that P2000.

chemboy likes this.
  19. chemboy

chemboy

Dave,
    Sounds like you are all set! I will be curious to see how the .40 cal USPc performs? as much as I am liking my USPc 9x19, I would probably buy one in 40 at some point...

Deputydave likes this.
  20. Deputydave

If it's anything like the P2000, which I suspect it will be, it will be a joy to shoot. If you can find one in stock, the USPc 40's are (police trade-ins) have been in the $399-$460 range. Problem is find one in stock somewhere.

You could maybe find a complete 40 upper like I did though. I had a 'want to buy' ad on Armslist looking for a USPc40 and the guy contacted me with the complete upper. Just worked out.