close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

HK P30 or P2000?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by chilic82, Mar 1, 2010.

1. chilic82

chilic82

Looking to buy one of these this week. I like both and they both fit well. Seem to be the same gun for the most part. I know the P30 has more grip options. I have read on some other forums that the P2000 is the lesser of HK's pistol line up. Is there any truth to this? It has always seemed to get less attention than the USP and P30 line. My wife likes the p2000 and I prefer the P 30. Can't afford both right now, so Im not sure which to get first. Also, not sure about LEM vs DA/SA. Wish I had a range that rented guns locally. Any help is appr.

2. Lowrangerider

Lowrangerider

P30 or P30L is a better gun

3. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

The size difference is the biggest factor. Are you going to carry it? If so, the 2000 is better. Otherwise, I like the P30 a lot more. I find the P2000, like the Glock 19, to be just a little too small for me to shoot comfortably.

4. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

I don't think the P2000 is HK's "lesser" gun. Its quality is up to their usual high standards, it's just...boring. Between the P30 and P2000, I like the P30 better. Both are concealable, accurate, and reliable. The P30 has better ergonomics, and magazine capacity. It also feels a little better balanced in my hand than the P2000. I sold my P2000 (I occasionally regret it) for a P2000SK.

As far as LEM vs DA/SA; I prefer LEM. The key to LEM, however, is practice. If you don't practice with it and "learn" it, then it will suck. The trick to the LEM trigger is the reset. Learn to shoot from the reset and LEM becomes very effective. Here is what I would do: buy the DA/SA version. If you want to, you can later buy an LEM conversion kit and change it yourself (it isn't hard). If you don't like it, you can change it back. You cannot, however, go from an original LEM gun, to DA/SA. This is because there is a difference in the frame.

Also remember, P30 magazines will fit in the P2000.

5. sigdeputy

sigdeputy

I haved owned, shot & carried the P2000, P2000SK, USP, USP Compact and the P30. I would recommend the P30 hands down over the P2000 (and any other H&K pistol). It's what I am presently carrying. Don't get me wrong, I really like the P2000, but the P30 is just such a better gun. It has better ergonomics, mag capacity, light rail, sights, etc. I don't think you'd regret chosing the P30.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  6. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

In my experience, both have been excellent handguns and you really can't go wrong with either.

Something to consider for carry is that the less aggressive grip texture of the P2000 is far more comfortable then the P30 when worn IWB next to bare skin. Although, the P30 undoubtedly has the more ergonomic grip.

7. tx787

tx787

It seems like since HK is still making and selling the P2000 even when they made the P30 as the next generation it's a good indication that they are both very high quality and that there are significant differences in each model warranting availability of both.

The other posts about the P2000 being better suited to carrying seem valid especially since if you look at a P2000 and P30 side by side it is very similar to looking at an HK45 and HK45c side by side, focusing primarily on grip texture. The only thing that looks like an actual weakness in the 2000 is the mag release button is much smaller and harder to press than on the 30.

8. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Truth be told you cannot go wrong with either. Get the P2000 is you want to carry it, P30 if a range "fun gun" is what you want.