HK 91 Style Rifle Accuracy

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by chemcmndr, Jan 25, 2010.

1. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

I recently purchased a used Hesse Arms H91 rifle (clone of H&K 91/PTR 91 rifles). I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet and I was wondering what to expect. I've heard stories that the Hesse H91 are bad in terms of accuracy, but I wanted to know what types of groups you would expect to get out of an H&K 91 or a new PTR-91 rifle and at what range for comparison. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. space_weazel

space_weazel

Hesse guns are not just known for poor accuracy, they are known to be Dangerous, and come from a company that sells trash then changes its names and sets up new shell companies to sell more trash.

I'm sorry you had to buy one of these, it will likely not function with any reliability if at all and I have no idea how it will group, or if it will just blow up because Hesse couldn't make anything to spec if his life depended on it, which I guess he's fine with since he's willing to risk yours.

If you can see if you can take it back to the dealer(I hope) and get your money back, if you want a HK91 you can try you luck with a CETME, most of them function, some have some issues, but at least they aren't dangerous. or for a little more money a PTR, the newer ones have tighter chambers for domestic .308 only, no surplus, but really nice, well built rifles, or an older used one which should have the more original military chamber.

I don't mean to bring you down off your new gun high, but I also don't want you to get hurt, financially or otherwise.

3. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

Hesse makes the receivers for the Springfield Armory line of M1 Garands and M1A1s, Socoms ect

4. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

:rofl:

Ref?

5. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

Springfield has been making receivers themselves for years. Why on earth would they have someone else make ANY receivers for them?!?!?

:rofl:

6. Fed Five Oh

Fed Five Oh NRA Member

Any receivers? Theres at least one Croatian company and a Brazillian company that might be able to answer your question.:rofl:

7. Glockdude1

You are correct, I forgot about the XD's.

:cool:

8. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Springfield got Hessed? :shocked:

Never been a fan of the name trickery and suitable facsimiles, but they had their place. But Hesse? A shame that they didn't choose Imbel, if true.

9. dosei

dosei

You did not forget...XD's don't have receivers...:supergrin:

10. Glockdude1

Ok, the LOWER half of the XD pistol. :faint:

:tongueout:

11. dosei

dosei

...I'm just say'n you were right the first time...

Springfield Armory makes their own receivers.
    (Slides and frames are a different matter)

:supergrin:

12. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

Thank you for the information, but can anyone tell me what size groups you could expect to get out of a H&K 91 / PTR-91 rifle at a given distance?

13. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

It's be more productive for you to get a couple boxes each of commonly available surplus and factory ammunitions and test your individual rifle. We could post all day about potentials and variables. I know that my HK is fine for "battle rifle" accuracy and can out shoot me most days without a rest or bench. 3 or 4 inches is possible at 300 yds, depending on ammunition. Smaller groups closer in. But I don't see how that could be too germane to your rifle, and I've never handled a Hessian 91.

Shoot dat beotch. :beer:

14. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

I would say 3-4 inches at 100 yards due to the combat trigger and your (I guess) lack of shooting experience. Not to rag on you, but I don't get the feeling that you've done a lot of shooting. Only one way to change this, go have fun and shoot the crap out of it. It probably won't detonate on you--in fact as a betting man it will probably be alright. Go buy some some South African ammo and have fun.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A308SA&groupid=26

15. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

I got a chance to shoot it earlier today. Using Silver Bear .308 ammunition I was getting groups of roughly 3-4" at approx. 25 yards. I didn't have much time to spend on the rifle since I was with a new shooter and was letting him try some of my other weapons. I'm sure with some better ammunition and more time to spend on the rifle, I will know more. I'm not new to shooting, but I'm no expert either.

16. djegators

djegators

Good luck with your rifle. Is it fully HK compatible? If so, look at some easy upgrades that might significantly improve it. I have a PARS GM3 version of a HK91, and aboslutely love it. Looking to upgrade it eventually into more of a sniper setup.

17. Azjeeper

Azjeeper

The springfield g3s were made in Greece, and were licenced hk copies ment to be sent to africa

18. Tony Rumore

Tony Rumore

I had an original HK91 in the late 80's and accuracy sucked. The thing could barely get five shots under 3" at 100 yards. I must have tried 40 different hand loads with a pile of different bullets and it just sucked with everything. I had a Leupold 12x target scope on it with an original HK mount. Everything was tight.....the gun was just a POS. Oh...and the trigger.......I have never used anything worse. And no, it wasn't me. I have no problem shooting sub 1/2" groups with a decent gun.

Hesse isn't known for building great stuff, but accuracy wise, I doubt it's worse than the original.

Tony

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  19. Berto

Berto woo woo

Lots of positive juju, enjoy the rifle.:supergrin:

20. Azjeeper

Azjeeper

Honestly the surplus build g3s look like third world garbage but so do the surplus build Aks and I think the worn in beat the hell G3s you see in photos of west africa are really cool. with all of the jerk policys hk has they did bring us cool things like the Hk 91,93 94 and the pistol version of the mp5 the sp89.. I think the springfield Sar8s when 922r'd and the Hk91's are still the cats ***!