HK 45 Super

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by Deputydave, May 29, 2020.

1. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

From what I have been hearing, the HK in 45 is capable of shooting at least a limited diet of 45 Super without any modifications. The examples were with the HK45 Tactical. I’m guessing that a standard HK45 or USP45 would be the same? If anyone has input or has shot 45 Super out of their HK please sound off.

Thanks.

NoJoy likes this.
  2. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I used to shoot 45 super out of my hk usp and my mark 23 socom. Never an issue.

Deputydave likes this.

3. Recon-pull

Recon-pull Billy Jacked

T
    there you go Dave, rubbing it in. I sold my HK USP 45 one year before I found out about the 45 Super. There are some stories and YouTube videos of guys saying that stock USP can shoot 45 Super. I’m not so sure about that. At least as far as what loads you’re running. I doubt that even the venerable USP could take a steady diet of my 300 and 335 grain Supers without the need for rest or some other upgrade in springs etc

Deputydave likes this.
  4. Deputydave

I'm looking for a dedicated woods-carry pistol. Now full disclosure, I'm completely fine with the various 40 S&W and/or 357sig pistols that I have right now. I really don't have a 'need' for a different pistol or caliber. However, I'm retired now and figure why not explore a bit into pistols and calibers I've not owned before.

With that in mind, my first thought was getting a Gen 4 G21. I've owned Gen 2 and 3 before but overall like the Gen 4 better. If they came out with a Gen 5 all that much better because Glock finger grooves suck for me generally. I can tolerate them on full sized pistols though so a Gen 4 would be okay. With the G21.4 I can then have options to modify and shoot 45 Super and 10mm.

On the other hand, the HK USP 45 and HK45 are both guns I've never owned. And at least a limited diet of 45 Super should be fine. And I can't imagine ever needing to shoot more than a box or two in 45 Super anyway. As I discussed in my various woods-carry threads in Caliber Corner, my main concerns are either 2-legged varmints or rabid animals. Wild hog would also be a concern and they are o'plenty in the areas I primitive camp. Not concerned about gators, all you need for them is a thick wooden stick to stand behind. And although I've seen the rake marks from brown bear on trees in those areas I've never actually seen one. I know they are there, but never been an issue. So really, 40 S&W, 357sig, 45acp (+P) or really even 9mm is fine for my area. The ability to shoot either 45 Super or 10mm would be more towards a 'just because' sorta thing.

5. Recon-pull

Recon-pull Billy Jacked

Dave, you no doubt should convert your 21 to 45 Super. When properly loaded with the right ammo, you get near magnum performance from an auto loader. And don’t forget you can also convert your 21 to 40 Super with a Barsto barrel. 40 Super is hotter than 10mm. Ask Tony Rumore who’s on GT. He did initial load workups for the 40 super. He was also gracious enough to forward his original load data. Since then I’ve loaded lots of 40 super and consider it as one of the most powerful cartridges out there. I don’t know if you can convert an HK to shoot 40 Super.

Deputydave likes this.
  6. Deputydave

Obvious answer is to get both :D

chemboy likes this.
  7. NoJoy

NoJoy

This topic has been covered extensively on the hkpro.com
    Great info on this forum and over there.
    In a nutshell, the USP and USP Tactical can shoot 45 Super. How many rounds before changing out the dual recoil springs; I don’t recall. Someone who shoots 45 Super on a regular basis out of their USP 45s on either forum can let you know.
    The USP is better suited for the Super mainly because of the dual recoil system. The HK45 does not have a dual recoil spring system, so it’s not recommended.

For more detailed information,
    visit hkpro.com
    :)

chemboy and Deputydave like this.
  8. Deputydave

Thank you.

NoJoy likes this.
  9. chemboy

chemboy

Ya think? ;) O:

Deputydave likes this.
  10. chemboy

chemboy

I have never shot anything in 45 Super, but I have given some thought to buying a couple of boxes of Underwood 45 Super and see how they do in my USP45T and(when I finally get it off layaway) the Mk 23. If I still owned a G21 I would try the 45 Super in that, as well.
    All sorts of possibilities with this.

Deputydave likes this.
  11. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

The user manual for the USP 45 states that +p+ ammo can be used.
    IIRC, the HK45 limits you to +p.

Deputydave and NoJoy like this.
  12. Deputydave

So it would seem that the USP 45 is inherently stronger than the HK45? And it seems the value of the USP version is higher? Correct me if I’m wrong.

13. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

I thought new USPs were cheaper than HK45s.
    You can get some great deals on used USPs these days.
    They're just not as popular as the new models. I got a real nice one for $500 locally, you can find similar prices on Gunbroker.

There's a couple USP Elite 45s for sale, now there's a gun to hot rod. Prices not too bad.

chemboy and Deputydave like this.
  14. Deputydave

I thought it was the other way around but fully confess I haven't looked into it that much.

Now that would be a really nice deal to find!

chemboy likes this.
  15. chemboy

chemboy

DD,
    That would indeed be nice to find a USP for 500 bucks!

Deputydave likes this.