close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hit the range wednesday with the G19...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Monotonous ONE, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Monotonous ONE

Monotonous ONE

So my baby...my G19...has about 2500 rounds downrange without ever a SINGLE hiccup...i mean NOTHING...EVER

I had a couple of hiccups though...nothing major...just curious if these are causes for concern

I had about a handful of times where i would load a full magazine...slide locked open...and then pull the slide back and release forward to load the first round. This round would hit the feed ramp and stop. I didnt use a lot of pressure because this method usually works without a problem and i always bring the slide forward nice and slow. These were PMC FMJ btw. Ive tried to replicate this with my carry ammunition (gold dots) but have not been able to do so. Still im curious if i should be worried.

The next issue happened only once. The last round of the magazine did not keep the slide locked back once the magazine was empty. I thought i had a bad round when i pulled the trigger and nothing happened. I dont tend to count off rounds when im shooting.

So please give me some feedback...do i need to be worried? Maybe replace some old parts??

2. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Replace the magazine springs and don't let the slide forward gently when chambering a round. Pull the slide back until it stops and let it fly home.

Should solve your issues.

3. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Procedurally, this is incorrect, as Sean points out.

'Drew

4. Adionik

Adionik

You can also use the slide lock release to chamber the round...

5. das9mm26

das9mm26

Some "purists" will argue this method can harm the weapon/increase wear on the slide stop....others will say it's an "accepted" method of dropping the slide....Who's right? Who's wrong? IMO...it's a coin flip....
    As for me.....I use my weak (left) hand to pull back the slide and let it fly home to chamber a round. Using the slide stop usually wrecks my left thumb, anyway!!

6. newjack69

newjack69

Failure to feed is usually a magazine problem. Sean is correct, change your magazine springs.

7. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

That's not a failure to feed, it's bad procedure. Pull the slide back, let it fly. You only ease it forward if you are dropping it on an empty chamber. Leave your mag springs alone.

The slide not locking back can be a couple things, your thumb might be touching the slide lock, weak ammo not cycling the slide with authority, or you may have the slide lock spring leg in the wrong place if you have detail stripped it recently. Mag springs would be about my last suspect unless you were having more failures to feed.

8. ronin.45

ronin.45

Good answers. I think it was probably just poor thumb placement since it only happened one time.

9. voyager4520

voyager4520

You're doing what's called "riding the slide forward". When you do that, the slide doesn't have enough momentum to properly chamber the round. Firmly grasp the grip of the pistol, pull the slide back, and release the slide letting it go forward on its own.

You may be gripping the pistol in such a way that you're keeping the slide stop(aka slide release) from raising up into its notch in the slide. Next time you go to the range pay special attention to where your hands are in relation to the slide stop. If you then know that you weren't touching it and the slide still failed to lock open that you're not causing the problem. If that's the case, you may have a weak slide stop spring or bent slide stop, possibly some other issue with the slide stop.

At 3:38 into the following video he shows how to test the slide stop to ensure it's working properly, but don't pull the slide stop up too far off the frame, just pull it up slightly and let it snap back down to ensure it has tension: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9T7kstVogE

If the slide stop isn't the problem, you might have weak magazine springs that are not pushing the follower of the empty magazine up into the slide stop with enough force. This is the least likely cause but it does happen.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010