close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

History and Discovery Channels

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Zell, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Are these channels part of your TV programing line-up?

If so, just curious what are your favorite and least favorite programs on each channel?

2. loki993

loki993

Used to watch History a lot dont much anymore, so I dont really have a favorite show on that channel.

Discovery however would have to be Deadliest Catch and Dirty Jobs.

3. Steve0853

Steve0853

Not least favorite program, but least favorite characteristic:

Seems like way more commercials than network or some other channels. Sort of like a little program mixed in with a bunch of commercials.

I don't know the ratio, so maybe its just me, but it seems like there's so many commercial breaks and they last so long that you can't even follow the program.

4. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

I used to watch the discovery channel but now it seems all they have on is shows about people working. I work enough, I don't need to watch a show about other people doing their jobs.

My TV rarely switches off of the history channel, unless ice road truckers or something is on. Another "reality" show about people doing their job. :upeyes:

5. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

I 'm starting to dislike Discovery, why don't they go ahead and change their name to Mike Rowe channel? I would like the Military channel but it is in a different package.

6. chewybaca67

chewybaca67

I usually always History, Discovery, Science, or one of them type of channels on while I'm practicing mu' guitar or reloading. I don't think I ever sit down and watch the Tele, I'm always doing something else, some kind of reloading, fire arm and/or guitar project.

7. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

I don't have cable TV but now that regular broadcast TV has gone digital I now get 55 channels for free. One or two channels don't show programs from those two cable TV channels 24 hours a day, but they do show programs from those two cable TV channels regularly. From the dates on the shows it looks like they are usually one or two years old, so they aren't usually current ones now showing on cable TV but they are the same shows, just older episodes. Some do seem to be pretty recent ones though.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  8. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

I forget the name of the show, but the one about underground cities/passages etc. is awesome.

9. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Cities of the underworld, or something like that. Good show.

10. Crusher47

Crusher47 The one & only

11. area727

area727 G23

Typically I'm watching sports (or movies on Blu ray/DVD) when the TV is on. But I could sit and watch hours of Deadliest Catch (if I had that much time).

12. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

There is not a lot of History or Discovery on either channel anymore. It kind of reminds me of MTV, when was the last time they showed a music video on regular MTV.

I occasionally watch Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Dirty Jobs and Deadlest Catch, but only if there is nothing else on.

I really miss the documentaries. I can watch them for hours.

13. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

1. History Channel: I don't like all those shows about historical stuff.

2. Discovery Channel: Those shows that are about underwater searches, space exploration, basically any show where they discover stuff.

14. Minnow

Minnow

History Channel
    I don't really care for most of the reality shows on the History Channel, although I do occasionally watch some of them. Pawn Stars is not bad. Ax Men blows. American Pickers is just "ok". Ice Road Truckers needs to go on over to Oxygen Channel and leave my History Channel alone. Monster Quest is cool although sensationalized. Modern Marvels is sometimes interesting. I have not got a chance to watch any of Life After People.

I have more fuss about Animal Planet instead. It seems like they have way too many "When Animals Freak Out", episode 1,000,000 type shows.

15. CSnakes

CSnakes

MonsterQuest, The Real Wolfman, Wild West Tech, Pawn Stars... I like the UFO stuff (the first time)...

16. chris in va

chris in va

By far my favorite channels, mainly because I don't have the fancy-shmancy 1000+ channel lineup and 52" LCD. My favorites are Modern Marvels, Ax Men, Pawn Stars, American Pickers and Dirty Jobs.

My least favorites would have to be Life after People (depressing) and Gangland...just because it makes me very angry watching it. How the Earth Was Made is alright, kinda neutral on that one.

It's my usual thing to watch Modern Marvels and reload my 9mm.

17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

My favorite Hist/Disc programs are. . . PBS. ROTFL! I wish they'd get rid of the popcorn mentality and go a bit deeper with their programs. Even with the sometimes liberal slant, I find PBS programs far more educational.

18. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

History Channel - I love the How The Earth Was Made. Other than that, I like Modern Marvels and Pickers some times. Not much else.

19. JBaird22

JBaird22

I'm a huge fan of Dirty Jobs.

I used to watch a lot of the shows like Monster Garage, Monster House, American Chopper etc. That model of reality show has been copied over and over though. You can only watch the same show with different characters so many times.

My least favorite channel: TLC. Its like a circus sideshow of television.

20. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

For me, I like any of the "new" Dirty Jobs episodes and How the Earth was Made. I really like How it's Made and Modern Marvels shows. I also like Pawn Shop but not overly crazy about it.

Also, some American Pickers episodes are interesting to watch though I marvel at how these two guys get ripped off (they pay way too much and can't negotiate prices worth a crap). I don't know how any of these guys can make a living buying a lot of crap that in most cases is deemed completely worthless to 99.9 percent of the human population.

Can't stand Myth Busters any more. Same old lame ideas and Adam's personality and sense of humor now bores me silly. I really can't stand any the ghost hunting shows or Axe Men shows or Ice Trucker shows. Completely a waste of time.