close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Historical Revisionism

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HerrGlock, Jul 18, 2012.

1. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

My whole life I've heard about how the Soviets rewrote the history books to make it appear the current group is/was always the best. I've heard about how people because (pardon me George Orwell) unpeople and one day were written out of history never to be seen or acknowledged again.

I've always heard how horrible that is, how a free press and such is a better way to do things and how it could never happen here.

Then suddenly the same people who talk about how the US should never emulate the Soviet Union start pushing for deleting people from record books, erasing all mention of entire places from all books, repainting long established murals to eliminate a person or people that have fallen out of favor.

This is truly a strange time to be living.

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

3. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

We are at war with Eurasia. We have always been at war with Eaurasia.

4. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

I absolutely hate it. History should stand on it's own merits. We have to accept that our founding fathers and historical heros were flawed human beings just like the rest of us.

5. gigab1te

gigab1te

The school boards of large school districts have been deciding what goes into (and what gets left out of) history (and other) books for at least 50 years.

6. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

So you are saying Joe Paterno's statue should stay?

7. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

This is the line that the leftists have pushed through our public school system since the 60s. BUT the salient point is that these men rose above their flaws to do things that border on the miraculous. There IS such a thing as American Exceptionalism.

What will YOU be remembered for after you're gone? Your flaws, or your accomplishments? Or sadly, like most of us, only remembered by your loved ones.

8. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I don't recall saying either way about it.

9. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

What's your point then? Example to your OP? I'm curious.....

10. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Open ended observation. Take it as you will.

11. OctoberRust

At least give us some examples. What have you observed that backs your original post?.....

I'm being serious, and really not trying to pick on you this time, I'm curious, as I'm sure plenty of others on GT are about this post.

12. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Well, let's start with the football thing brought up earlier. I don't give a damn about the statue, but the record books do exist, the games were played, the team and coach did earn records.

There are a lot of people, including here, that want to scrub the record books of all records that even mention Penn State. I find that interesting. I also see very little difference between that and the Soviets scrubbing history books of anyone who committed anything determined to be a crime against the state.

I don't know how I would vote were I on whatever committee it was that ended up able to change the books. I just don't see much difference in the two.

There are other, less current, issues that come up like this occasionally. George Orwell wasn't that far off, it seems.

13. OctoberRust

Interesting. I don't really have any input on this, but interesting to read.

I'll sit back and read other replies in the thread, and ask questions if any arise.

14. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I can only loosely paraphrase this and I can't remember the author but David Drake quoted it years ago and I love it and try to live it.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but the facts are the property of everyone and when you falsify facts you undermine the only basis we have for dealing with reality, falsify one fact and after that every decision that uses that fact is flawed."

Yeah, despite not being convicted of anything and being dead and unable to defend him self Joe Paterno is becoming the whipping boy of the moment.

The mentality of Americans today frightens me more than I can express. The ease with which people can be manipulated into doing almost anything simply by playing on their emotions is scary. I could see concentration camps, riots, pogroms, almost anything happening because so many people will not stop and think for themselves instead of emoting.

15. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

My point is that we cannot disregard the accomplishments of Thomas Jefferson because he owned slaves, or Thomas Sumter because he had some off-the-war issues. These guys weren't perfect. But they banded together, put foot to ### and helped form a nation.

Teach what actually happened.

16. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

I'll say it should be taken down (or turned around so that it, like Paterno, is looking the other way). The statue is not history, it is an honor and memorial to a man who we now know does not deserve it.

The issues that revisionist historians like to change are a lot more important than which team of thugs scored more points.

Compared to men like George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson, Winfield Scott Hancock, George Patton, Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Sumter, Ben Franklin, and Francis Marion, Paterno wasn't #### even before the scandal broke.

Now I feel like I insulted those great men by even writing that sentence.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

He was the whipping boy before he passed away.

He was the top dog and it comes with the territory; good or bad. He got the boon when it was good and he got the bane when it was bad. Knowing that your employee molested children and be silent about it after all these years and let this pervert committed the same act over and over again?

18. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Football records are not even significant enough to warrant a discussion but I don't think Bobby Bowden (who would get the record) would want the wins record now. Unfortunately it's not like a championship where you can leave it vacant - someone has to have the most. By the time the criminal, civil and NCAA investigations are done Penn State may not even exist as a university, much less an athletic program.

19. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

They've got that discussion in a handful of other threads here, that's not the primary issue I was contemplating in this one.

So we should scrub all record books of all achievements he and his teams did because of what he did or failed to do?

Jefferson is a perfect example. We probably should delete all his actions and everything he ever did because he owned slaves and that is at least as repugnant as only following established rules and not going further as is the case of Paterno.

That also means we should eliminate all records the kids on those teams did as well, even though they may or may not have had anything to do with anything.

I'm not talking about what did or did not happen. I'm talking about the willingness to alter history books because of mob mentality. That is frightening.

20. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

They're not? For some of the players, that's all they'll ever have in their lives. That will be the pinnacle of their careers.

Wow, just wow.