GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12,467 Posts
When in doubt the ONLY safe answer is “I’m not allowed to answer that, here is the phone number of my supervisor”
If you know how to ask you can get plenty info. How you ask matters as well as what you ask.
Most hospitals will give out more info then they really should. IMO. When I ask.
Pre Covid. “Hi this is me, X is my godmother. I want to visit her. Is it normally better to visit her in the morning, afternoon, evening?” I wind up knowing how she is doing, when she has pt, procedures scheduled.. It’s likely they understood grandmother.. oh well.
That may work sometimes but I have had plenty of times where I have given the medical person all of the information and ask them to comment and they wouldn't ie I know DaleGribble is there being treated for syphillus, how long does that treatment normally take.

·
NRA Life Member.
3,508 Posts
It is applicable from the time you are seen by a medical professional until you are dead.

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Venor ergo sum
Gun control is about CONTROL.
3,593 Posts
HIPPA is a bunch of horse sheeite. I don't miss having to deal with it at work.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
My mother-in-law is in assisted living. She had lunch with someone on 11/10 that tested Covid positive on 11/24. She is 94 and sharp as a tack mentally. They talked with her children last night and said they were going to test all of the persons contacts today.

They show up at her door and tell her they are random testing. She immediately asked them which one of her friends is sick. She is sharp, started making calls, and figured it out.

I'm sure all 200 residents have heard from her by now.
Women somehow always find out the good gossip no matter how old they are lol

·
Navy Veteran
5,327 Posts
I am a hospital volunteer and come in contact with patients and visitors weekly. We go through the same orientation that new employees do. Be polite to those that you come in contact with, but ask no questions. When I get home from work, my wife will ask me if I saw anyone I knew that morning. I just smile because she knows I can’t tell her.

·
Come on man!!
14,826 Posts
That may work sometimes but I have had plenty of times where I have given the medical person all of the information and ask them to comment and they wouldn't ie I know DaleGribble is there being treated for syphillus, how long does that treatment normally take.
And that's a HIPPA violation!

·
Values. Can't be bought.
11,328 Posts
I could imagine cause of death being confidential under HIPPA, but not the fact that the patient died.

Reactions: n2g and Inyo Tim

·
Values. Can't be bought.
11,328 Posts
When I was working, my company always kept us in the loop on sick/injured employees, how they were doing, recovery and so on. I spoke to a peer in another company and they were not allowed to share any details with a sick/injured employee's co-workers. They said it was HIPPA rules. These companies were not in the health care field.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
The other companies where wrong. The fact your company did shows it was not a hippa violation as they are not covered under hippa. Now the company would not know unless the employee told them their status because the medical professionals treating them are covered under hippa rules and they can not tell the employer the status of their patient.

When I was working, my company always kept us in the loop on sick/injured employees, how they were doing, recovery and so on. I spoke to a peer in another company and they were not allowed to share any details with a sick/injured employee's co-workers. They said it was HIPPA rules. These companies were not in the health care field.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Yes, HIV positive folks rammed this through congress.

They didn’t want HR asking medical questions which is ludicrous.

Now its snowballed into age, sex, next will be felon.

AND THIS IS WHY NICOLAS CRUZ WAS ABLE TO SHOOT HIS CLASSMATES

·
Registered
817 Posts
Carol works as a PBX operator, which is who you hear paging codes and doctors overhead, and who answers the phone when you call a hospital. HIPPA is a nightmare of restrictions. It places so many roadblocks in the way of friends and relatives getting ANY information on patients... She can't even tell these poor callers if the patient is indeed, a patient! It really hurts to have to tell them, "I'm sorry, ma'am, due to HIPPA laws, I cannot confirm that your husband is here".
Now that is messed up IMHO! But it's all due to litigation... One or two court cases where one, or two greedy people decided to sue, and BAM! A new "fromnowon" (That's what we called them in the NAVY).

·
Registered
731 Posts
At my company, when the HIPPA law came into effect...Management changed the phone system so any sick calls after daywork hours, came to the Control Room. The company made it clear the law. If anyone called and said they were sick, they were off. I could not even ask like why are you calling in sick. I said you are off. I'm emailing your supervisor he will see this as soon as he comes in. I then logged the call in.

But I did mess with my friends. I gave them advice like stop drinking that cheap liquor. Or stay away from those hookers in Old Town.

·
Ornery & Irreverent
11,159 Posts
Hum.....
When I was hospitalized last summer, I was asked whether I authorized the release of info about me (that I was an IP, not re specifically all the happy horseshyte that was actually killing me). I said "yes" regarding the three/four living people that were likely to GAS, but clarified "no" to any non-family, etc.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
HIPPA is a strong law that only targets select people or groups i know that..if you drop your medical files on the public sidewalk i can take pictures of them and put them on the net..if i want to stand on the public easment and take video of the doors to the emergancy room you cant stop me..and if i want to ask people if they have covid i can..they dont have to tell but i can ask

·
NRA4EVR
11,506 Posts
Itks HIPAA - Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

·
Navy Veteran
5,327 Posts
As stated, I am a hospital volunteer. During orientation, our Risk Coordinator spoke to our group and shared with us some of the lawsuits that the hospital had been involved in. One action was at a rurual hospital, that our hospital owned and operated. The incident was in the Maturnity unit. Small towns everyone knows each others family. A baby was born, nurse assiting delivery of young mother. Nurse congratulated mother. A few weeks later, the nurse saw the aunt of the new mother, and congratulated her. The aunt knew nothing of this. The new mother wanted to keep pregnancy a secret. Hospital was sued and paid out a hefty sum for this unauthorized information release.

·
The underscore is silent
5,231 Posts
Due to Covid the senior center has closed here. The lunches are now delivered to one's house.
When I asked the driver how the other seniors are doing I was told "I can't talk about that".
One senior had died and the staff was not allowed to inform the other seniors.
I realize medical staff are not allowed to talk about patient health, but how can this be stretched to apply to any type of care giver? Nervous county attorney?
We get the same mis-application at my company... someone tests positive and are in quarantine but they won’t say WHO due to the magical HIPAA secrecy pact.

How does contact tracing work if nobody can talk about it? More PC BS that just makes it worse.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts