close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hiking Shoes

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by jmy, Feb 18, 2003.

1. jmy

jmy Still Alive Lifetime Member

Could anyone Please recommend or suggest to me a Very Good Hiking Shoes or Hiking Rubber Shoes?
    THANKS.

jmy

2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

make many good ones.

Stay away from Irish Setter though they have terrible customer service.

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

brands i like are asolo and merrell but there are other good brands out there too.

a few tips from my experience.

always buy gore-tex no matter where you live. even out here in the desert there's water. the dew on grass in the morning is enough to wet your feet without protection. if water gets trapped in the boot then when it heats up during the day it will literally steam cook your feet.

never just buy the boots over the net without trying them on somewhere first. a friend of mine got bit that way. basically wasted $150 on good boots that didn't fit just right.

make sure they fit just right. if there is any point where it wears on your foot, it's not good. try 'em on and walk around the store. if they have a testing ground use it. REI usually has some fake rocks and inclines you can test on. that slight rub that feels like nothing in the store will feel like a knife in your foot after 15 miles on a trail.

get last year's model. it's just like new cars. when the 2003 models come out the new 2002 models go on sale. every year i buy a pair of merrell trail running shoes just to kick around town, day hikes and running. they normally cost around $100 for the newest model. i usually get them for $40-$50 for the "old" model. unless the company comes out with some really cool new technology, it's basically the same shoe just different look. same thing with backpacks.

4. madhatta

madhatta

Vasque are excellent boots for the money. I do a lot of hiking and even 2-4day backpack trips- and I have only had to own 2 pairs of Vasque lightweight boots since 1993. Merrels are nice for very light hiking or trail running/scrambling- but my Merrels and all my friends who have owned them, find they were out and split at the seams rather quickly...
    good luck finding some nice boots

5. jeffd

jeffd

I buy Vasque because after 3-4 pairs over 20 years I KNOW I'm an 11 1/2. This being the case, I look for deals here: www.sierratradingpost.com

6. Gluck

Gluck

Here are some boots: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq...ame_p.Men's+Clothing/qx/prod_list_display.htm I just ordered these http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq...chStr./intPgNo.1/special_type./qx/product.asp

I buy lots of boots from www.sierratradingpost.com Different brands of boots will fit differently, I have narrow feet so I wear Asolo, Merrell, or Danner. I haven't tried Vasque but I may someday because they sometimes come in various widths (and they're a Red Wing company). You deffinately need to try some on and figure out what you like or don't like. Uncomfy boots will make your hike misserable!

I go through a pair of hiking boots every year, out of 4 or 5 pairs of Asolos and 2 pairs of Merrells the Asolos last way longer. My last pair of Asolos where my first Gore-Tex hiking boots and I will never buy another pair that aren't Gore-Tex. Believe it or not they are still waterproof even after much abuse and being about wore out with very little tread left.

I don't know what you mean by "hiking" but if you are on anything but flat dirt trails you probably want boots with at least some ankle support.:)