close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hiking or Backpacking Solo

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by WFR, Jan 21, 2003.

1. WFR

WFR

Anybody here like to get out on the trail alone?
    I just took a short day hike on the Tuscarora Trail here in South Central PA. It was 24 degrees and about 2-3" of snow on the trail.
    Had a nice invigorating trek up to the ridgeline, took some pictures and then hiked back down before dark. It's amazing how getting away from everything and everybody clears your thoughts and relaxes you.
    It also gives you a chance to get some uninterrupted praying/listening time in.

So what goes in your daypack?
    What firearm do you carry? Carry OC or a knife?
    What are your "10 essentials" that you won't hit the trail without?
    What's the farthest hike you've made solo?

I'm planning on hiking all of the AT in PA this year with some coworkers so I figured I'd get out and get some miles in before I start next month.

See you on the trail in 2003!

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

i do most of my hiking/scouting alone. with all the public land out here it's hard to stay away.

my daypack is filled with pretty much the same stuff as my extended pack, minus some luxury items. i always have enough to spend at least a couple nights if i run into trouble. more if i'm going someplace really remote. i've been to places where i camped right near the trail and there was no sign of anyone for a week. probably wasn't anyone there for weeks before or after either. i've had my fair share of troubles hiking alone, but nothing too major. twisted ankle, big cut in my shin that ended up needing 32 stitches, temorarily lost, etc. but for me that's half the fun. i like going out with friends, but when it's just you and a mountain it's a whole different feeling. you know in the back of your head that if you mess up out there it could be the last time you mess up. about as close to an extreme sport as i get. certain things i won't do alone like canyoneering or high rappels. i like adventure but definately don't have a death wish.

on most trips i'll take a rifle. i used to take a rem 700 ADL in .30-06, but that's been changed out for a lighter, more managable marlin 1894P in .44mag. depending on the risk of running into large critters i may just take a handgun. a S&W 629 mountain gun in .44mag has that job. on ultralight hikes i only take a snubnose .38spl. i've found my limitations on what i need to be relatively comfortable on day hikes, extended hikes and ultralight hikes as far as gear goes. the only piece of gear i would be hard pressed to do without is a good knife. most of my gear, or lack there of, comes from reading too much Nessmuck and John Muir, with a modern twist. those guys would have been in 7th heaven if they had titanium and gor-tex.

the farthest i've ever gone solo is 52 miles over 3 days. i would love to through hike the PCT, even though that means being in Kalifornia for a few months. now if i could only afford to take a year off of work.

3. smeet5150

smeet5150 Southern Son

I hike about 70% of the time alone and on my 60 or so backpacking trips, only 3 have been with a partner. The wilderness is my church and I like to worship alone.

4. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I do sometimes.

Get's the noise out of my head.

I like to do a 6-mile run now to clear my mind.

And bring the guns when I go hiking, no hunting;)

5. noway

noway

My enviroment is quite different ( no snow ) but here's my essentials;

So what goes in your daypack?

> mosquito lotion or spray
    > bandage box
    > winter green alcohol
    > binoculars
    > Buck knike
    > penflash light w/extra batteries
    > a spool of Parachute cord
    > GPS w/ extra battery
    > pedometer
    > cell phone
    > WATER ( you have snow around you so you should be okay )
    > rain poncho ( yes it rains here )
    > small towel ( read next line )
    > extra sock/t-shirt ( long story but my foor got wet, soaking wet one time and I ended up walking over 2 miles on a very wet timberland boot and sock. NOT very NICE )

What firearm do you carry? Carry OC or a knife?

> what ever gun that I see fit 9/40/10/45 I have something in ever caliber always kept a 5" Buck in my rucksack

What are your "10 essentials" that you won't hit the trail without?

> water & GPS ( hate to be thristy and lost or without a sense of directions)

What's the farthest hike you've made solo?

> less than 12miles of nature trail at Big Bend.

6. WFR

WFR

Well, I finally got started on the PA section of the AT.
    I hiked from rte 16 to rte 30 this Wed & Thu.
    Hiked a little over 12 miles on Wed and about 3.5 or so on Thu.
    Awesome weather and met some very nice folks on the trail.
    Going out again next Tues to knock out another 7 or so miles in a day hike.
    Getting startd was the hard part.
    Advil is my friend and Leki kept me from busting my butt numerous times on all those rocks!
    ;f

7. Grumpy Gardener

Grumpy Gardener

I've been soloing for over 18 yrs now. The key is when to know that you're at your edge, and not stupid enough to cross that edge. Less'en of course one's got a bit more muster and none that they worry about leaving should the shtf.

Primers for my pack are matches, bivy bag, flashlights (with backup bats), map, compass, .45 Colt w/ mags of course, down jacket, goretex pants, xtra sox, first aid kit, food, MSR stove, pad, a VERY reliable ripstop safety blanket (which doubles as a lientu tarp and a decent paperback book . Pretty much anything else is luxury. A weather radio is nice to have also.

Letting someone know wheres and whens will give you a padded comfort level also. Letting them know where you'll be and when you'll be back are sure backups.

good romping to ya.

gardener

8. Uzzirider

Uzzirider

9. Razor 2-6

Razor 2-6 Dual Cool Guy

10 things always with me when in the woods:
    -parachute cord (the more the better)
    -good compass and topo map
    -well stocked first aid kit (with dental tools, several razor blades and a small sewing kit)
    -cold steel recon tanto strapped to my pack, emerson commander in pocket
    -6'x6' bright orange tarp
    -2-3 space blankets (if you've ever tried to use one, you know one's never enough)
    -waterproof matches
    -a cellphone & spare battery for fun (i've gotten a cell signal in some REALLY weird places. always fun to call x-wife on when having a blair witch experience.)
    -2-3 granola bars
    -1 M.R.E.
    -handgun of some sort with minimum 20-30 rounds ammo

10. WFR

WFR

Razor, we carry some of the same stuff.

11. TheSniper

TheSniper Projectile Mgr.

Bring a good knife or utility pliers just in case you need to cut your own arm off to get out from under a big damn rock.;f ;c

12. WFR

WFR

Nah, after reading that I'm packing in a Gerber camp axe to get through the bones!
    Yikes!

13. Uzzirider

Uzzirider

And a few morphine syrettes.

14. G Man .40

G Man .40 13 .40 + 1=G23

For short hikes I carry my G23 with 4 extra mags, a small first aid kit, a knife, lighter, cell phone, and snacks. Thats all I need. I lived in the wilderness on less.