close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

hikers/campers/backpackers - what's your surival kit?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by brob2425, Apr 2, 2012.

1. brob2425

brob2425

I'm putting together a survival kit for the GF and me and I would like to get some ideas for a realistic, lightweight, and compact kit. I don't like to switch out a lot of gear for different trips so keep in mind that this will be a general kit for use with day hikes, weekend tent camping or backpacking trips. Something I can throw in a day pack or move to a bigger pack for backpacking and I know I'll be covered in either case.

What I have so far:

multi-tool
    100mph tape (wrapped around an old wallet card)
    550 cord
    whistle
    emergency blanket
    chemlight
    mini bic lighter
    magnesium fire starter
    cotton ball for tinder
    crayon
    spare batteries

My first aid kit is a store bought kit with a couple items added. Bandaids, gauze, benedryl, aspirin, ipuprofen, sunscreen, antiseptic cream, alcohol wipes, tweezers, rubber gloves, cold pack, medical tape, basic first aid instructions, etc.

Beanie cap, gloves, long sleeve base layer, rain jacket, maps and compass, steripen purifier, cathole trough, biodegradable TP, and headlamp are all carried on every outing.

I'm also interested to know what you store your kit in. I was thinking about using a small dry bag but would like some more ideas for a weather proof container.

2. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

3. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

I'm curious what's the crayon for?

4. brob2425

brob2425

I do a lot of my hiking and camping in national parks. I don't think walking around with a .22 rifle slung would go over well. But I do carry my Glock 23 or 638 with me concealed.

For marking trees, rocks, etc. More versatile and holds up better in weather than a pen or pencil.

5. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

2 cans of wd 40

few bags of fritos

9volt battery

steel wool

waterproof matches

6. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

The beauty of the AR-7 is it's compact and can easily be stowed in your pack. It's a self contained rifle that was designed for the Zoomies in the event they had to bail. I am looking to get one for just in case since it's so compact you can stow it just about anywhere. Oh... and it's supposed to be able to float too, which is a HUGE bonus if you slipped while crossing a river or rolled a kayak.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  7. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

This is what I carry when I hit the trail

100mph tape (wrapped around hiking pole)
    whistle
    bic lighter

My first aid
    gauze
    ipuprofen
    antiseptic cream
    alcohol wipes

Hat
    base layers
    rain jacket
    maps and compass
    Water purification
    TP
    headlamp
    Pocket rocket (cooking)
    Fuel
    Utensils
    Sleeping bag (lightweight)
    One person tent (lightweight)
    Crocks
    Sleeping pad
    Spare socks,underware,shorts,shirts (one of each)
    Food (3-5 day supply, then hitch to a town for resupply)
    water bottle
    DL,CC, and a few bucks cash tucked in my hat

The lighter pack, the better

8. lwt210

lwt210

I have found a good walking/hiking stick to be vital when day hiking.

Mine is home made. Took a stick, de-barked it, stained it, wrapped 50 feet of brown 550 cord around it (wet) so that when it dried it was nice and snug. You can also wrap fishing line underneath the paracord and add your fishing gear in a small 35 mm film container and tape that to the stick.

Very lightweight and handy in the field.

Did you list any cooking pots? I got one of these recently and I like it. You can get them at Target or Amazon.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Adventure-Stainless-Steel-24-Ounce/dp/B005188T90/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333409754&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Stanley Adventure Camp Cook Set (Stainless Steel, 24-Ounce): Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-e0zjMozL.@@AMEPARAM@@41-e0zjMozL[/ame]

Some folks ditch the cups and add a pocketrocket stove and a can of fuel to it instead.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABma4z1zX4g"]Stanley Camp Cook & Cup Set REVIEW - YouTube[/ame]

Oh, you didn't mention the multi tool but you should look at a Victorinox Farmer. Very good knife for camping/hiking and has a woodsaw in a small package.

Fits in an Altoids tin too.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Farmer-Pocket-Silver-Ribbed/dp/B0007QCOO2"]Amazon.com: Victorinox Swiss Army Farmer Pocket Knife (Silver Alox Ribbed): Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41J2F0DX2ZL.@@AMEPARAM@@41J2F0DX2ZL[/ame]

9. brob2425

brob2425

Yeah, I have two sets of titanium pots/pans and a nice little lightweight primus stove that screws onto a fuel canister. We don't bring our cooking stuff on day hikes unless we are planning on having a meal. Instead, we opt for sandwiches or snacks on shorter hikes.

We also have hiking poles but they usually get left behind. I just don't like using them. I end up getting bored of them and poking/playing around with everything I come across.

10. Restless28

Restless28

Love this list. I'm going to print it tomorrow for our next family foray into the forest. However, I may want to lighten it up on a bike?

11. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

You could put some vasaline in the cotton balls. Makes it super easy to light and gets a fire going really easily. (Melt the vasaline then dip, dry, then store in your bag)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjP-eTfJwMA"]Vaseline cotton balls, how to make 'em - YouTube[/ame]

12. LabTech

LabTech Village Jackass

All I need...
    [​IMG]

13. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

An old trick, always works.
    Vasaline is "wet", though so you have to keep it in a sealed canister of some sort, especially in hot weather.

I prefer cotton gauze saturated with melted wax, folded into a little cube.

Wax-impregnated cotton gauze is much easier to keep in a backpack, bag, etc. without fear that it will soak and stain everything.

14. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

The only thing I have in mine that I haven't seen already listed is blue shop towels.

15. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

We used to make parafin dipped newspaper rolls about 3"X1/2". They work very well.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  16. lwt210

lwt210

Another thing I use for tinder is dryer lint.

Go to your clothes dryer, take the lint trap screen out, get all of that lint and compress it into an Altoids tin.

Hitting a little of that lint with a ferro rod spark makes a nice flame pronto. Won't burn as long as the cotton ball vaseline trick but will still flame up to get you going.

17. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Supposedly tampons work well as fire starters. Never tried it myself but I have heard of it.

18. frank4570

frank4570

Piece of rock I find.

19. treeline

treeline

I don't bother with an emergency blanket as they generally offer very little protection. An emergency bag, like a bivy bag or better yet a bothy bag, is much more useful against wind and rain. They work as a blanket or as an emergency 'tent'.

A cellphone is always handy, assuming your within coverage. There's nothing wimpy about calling for help if you're lying in a puddle with compound leg fracture.

20. w30olds

w30olds Magpul whore

Not sure if mentioned, but some sort of water filter, or iodine pills for water purification. Handier than having to boil water. I carry a PUR filter in my backpack. Can get them at REI.