GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
More often than not, I'm carrying a 5 round S&W 640 Pro Jframe or a 6+1 Kahr Mk9. I carry reloads for both. I have comfort, concealablity, and extra capacity all checked. If I'm not carrying on of those, it's a 13+1 Beretta APX with a 15 round reload.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I carry my 26 with a 19 spare available that I put in as the primary mag if I’m going somewhere that makes my neck hairs raise up.

Anybody carrying a pinkie-dangling subcompact with extended mags or full sized mags should practice emergency reloads with those mags. You will need to train your pinkie which will want to keep a hold of that mag to let go when you drop it.

·
Registered
27,147 Posts
While I carried my fair share of double stack duty pistols over the years, the highest capacity double stack I ever wanted to personally own uses 12rd magazines. It's an identical model to one of my duty weapons for a while.

Mostly, the single and double stack pistols I carry as retirement weapons have 6, 7, 8 or 9rd mags, and a couple have 10rd mags. (Same ones I carried off-duty.) I'm not particularly a capacity junkie.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I mostly now carry P365 with 10-round mag and one spare 10-round mag.

Before that, main EDC was a P239 40, so 14+1 rounds.

For now, if I must travel to an area where demonstrations/riots are even a remote possibility, it's G19.3 with two 27-round mags while in the car.

While I don't personally EDC a ton of rounds (due to comfort), I don't fault those who do. If I could get away with it at, I'd have a Batman-style utility belt with 3 or 4 mags, grappling hook, etc.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Not knocking the comment as an extra mag is of course a good idea, but I did find it interesting that Active Self Protection in over 800 civilian self defense shooting videos, did see people run dry, but not one successful reload in the actual fight. In police shootings, lots of reloads.
This is interesting and squares with my belief that in an actual civilian shooting, what you have in the gun is what you have. The civilian will be so freaked out, he may not even remember he has an extra mag, let alone have the sang froid to do a successful mag change. Of course, anything can be trained into a person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
So my take from that is that civilians didn't need extra ammo or rounds to stop a threat. Low capacity single stack pistols from 1911s to polymer pistols like the M&P Shield have been extremely popular for years, and are carried more than double stacks. Then you have states and counties with mag limits as well. I'm not seeing nor have I heard all the instances of civilians running out of ammo and then being killed or hurt afterwards because of it.

Also, I doubt that people ran dry, had a reload, was still under threat of serious harm, but choose not to reload their guns. If your argument is that reloads aren't needed for lower capacity 5-7 round pistols, then is a pistol that holds 15+ rounds needed?
The Kenosha shooting was interesting. If you watch and listen to the videos, that 17 year old let off a barrage of rounds (AFTER he shot those three people), probably to keep the crowds from converging on him. Almost like suppressing fire. If you have hordes converging on you, and you go this route, either out of panic or a well thought out strategy, I can see burning through your ammo quickly.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
When I carried my G26 I carried with a G19 mag and Xgrip. So that was 16 rounds, the same as if I simply carried my G19. I have not carried my 19X but if I did that would bring it to 20 rounds.

·
Previously nutsnax
684 Posts
What’s your highest capacity carry gun that you regularly carry? I’m usually carrying a Glock 19 Gen 3 but thinking of carrying my Sig P226 that will hold 20+1 rounds. Just trying to decide if that extra 5 rounds is worth the increase in size and weight. Neither of which bothers me terribly but the size difference is not negligible. I do shoot the P226 slightly better but not by much.

This is the only carry gun you need.

maxresdefault.jpg

·
Just pixels
2,970 Posts
This is interesting and squares with my belief that in an actual civilian shooting, what you have in the gun is what you have. The civilian will be so freaked out, he may not even remember he has an extra mag, let alone have the sang froid to do a successful mag change. Of course, anything can be trained into a person.

That could well be true, but I also wonder if it’s that police tend to pursue and continue to engage, while in civilian gunfights both parties are often happy to disengage the opposite directions after a volley.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My XDM 3.8 9mm compact (13rd mag) normally and when I ride my bike I carry a TCP 738 (6rd mag) .380 cal with a spare mag in my pants pocket .
I rotate the XDM with my G-30SF .45 ACP (10 rd mag) and my HK 45C (8rd mag).
The HK45C is a fantastic weapon . The only con I can think of, is the low 8rd mag capacity . It it had a standard flush 10rd mag capacity , it would be the weapon for everything for me .
My G-30SF is also great ... a little bulkier and heavier than the XDM but still great and a favorite .
The TCP 738, well ... what can I say ? it is a .380 but it doesn`t print at all when riding , so it fit the bill . It is a nice , lethal little gun and it shoots well, too .

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
M&P 2.0 Compact 9mm with 17 round magazine.

Reactions: Gfive45

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Ranger357 Your remarks about 800 civilian self defense shooting videos no one reloaded . Well if your don't need to is one thing but ask your self How many times a week or a month or in 3 months do YOU practice reloading while shooting during defensive drills . Not those speed match rigs you will never wear on the street . Or how often do practice a Tap Rap Bang drill even !

·
Registered
30,836 Posts
7+1 1911.

I have been thinking of going to a G26 after 20+ years.

Reactions: rock_castle

·
Registered
416 Posts

Where are you guys getting this from? You're pulling this out of thin air, and it's not based in fact, any studies, or any data. Apparently gun owners have the motor skills to draw their weapon, point or line up sights, pull the trigger, but they go brain dead with everything else. It's a baseless negative assumption.

·
Registered
416 Posts
That could well be true, but I also wonder if it’s that police tend to pursue and continue to engage, while in civilian gunfights both parties are often happy to disengage the opposite directions after a volley.
Exactly. In all the self defense shooting and robbery videos I watched, the attackers disengage or the fight is over after a few rounds. Then there's also the possibility that most civilians who aren't gun guys/gals do not carry a spare mag. In any event, and I asked this question in every capacity thread I've been apart of for about a decade now, whether civilians are carrying a 5 round revolver to a 15+1 G19, no one has been able to post the stories where a civilian ran out of ammo during an encounter, and then was assaulted or murdered after the fact!

I mean if there were 800 shooting and say 100 of them involved a mag dump and the threat/attacker was still coming thus more capacity or a reload was even required, cite these stories. Instead people are conjuring up and cherry picking isolated incidents, statics, etc that really tell us nothing and , and are bending and shaping it to support what they want to believe.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The Kenosha shooting was interesting. If you watch and listen to the videos, that 17 year old let off a barrage of rounds (AFTER he shot those three people), probably to keep the crowds from converging on him. Almost like suppressing fire. If you have hordes converging on you, and you go this route, either out of panic or a well thought out strategy, I can see burning through your ammo quickly.

This kid armed himself with an ARs, and went walking around the riot area. That's akin to me dressing up in red and going walking around in an area where I KNOW Crips or a bunch of criminals are going to be. The small handful of violent events caused by a number a select few of bad actors/protesters that the media is pushing 24/7 happens between people from opposing groups who are purposely go to these events looking for a fight. They are putting themselves in these situations.

In any event, these aren't the norm across the U.S. just like what happens in Chicago isn't the norm.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Went around the carry gun rotation .Started in 1982 .Small auto in 22.lr .Then
revolvers .autos for years .SIG 365 TODAY .Ruger sp101,MP 40 C

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
G19 but thinking about getting the G19x out of the safe instead.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts