close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

High Stress, Low Round Count

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JoeCitizen, Aug 6, 2012.

1. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

Took 8 or 9 rounds to stop the Wisconsin shooter. As with all shootings it's a high stress event. Don't know yet how many rounds missed. Still think a 5-shot .38 is a good idea? Is it superior to a high cap 9 or .40?

2. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

Since I don't carry my 642 specifically to stop a mass shooting event, I do think it is sufficient. You can't prepare for everything.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Why? Am I a uniformed cop now?

4. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

The LEOs job is to pursue and end the threat. an average citizen's job is to protect himself/herself and their family from the threat. The difference is escape is a viable option for the average citizen.

Obviously a high-cap pistol is better than a small J-frame but there are limitations to what you can carry sometimes.

5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I've applied for my Class III if only to get a belt-fed machine gun. I won't feel safer any other way.

6. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

Yes, for a back up.

7. Nanuk

Nanuk

Really? If you being attacked by this guy, you are gonna fly the white flag and say " I am just a civilian, I only have a 5 shot snubby".

8. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

What part of "protect myself and my family" is confusing you? It's a pretty simple statement. If escaping with them is a viable option I'll take it. If I have a halfway decent shot at the shooter I'll take that too.

Let me make this very plain - there is NO ONE ON THIS EARTH WHO IS WORTH RISKING THE LIFE OF MY WIFE, SON OR OTHER MEMBER OF MY IMMEDIATE FAIMLY TO SAVE!! I will protect them at all costs. Everyone else had the same opportunity I did to learn to shoot and arm himself or herself.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  9. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Yes. Your CHL should have come with a uniform, badge and set of Superman Underoos. You can also get a police light for your scooter. :tongueout:

You didn't receive yours yet?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'd yell out, "Hey, I'm with you!!!" Then I'd walk up and blast him in the face with my snubbie.

11. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    That is funny! It made me LOL. Some of the other posts made me laugh too but for a different reason.

12. bfg1971

bfg1971

There is a reason I carry a 15 shot 10mm instead of my 7 shot 45. If I ever need to use it I want as much ammo as I can get in the gun.

13. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

And a smiley Walmart sticker and nachos. LOL

14. ronin.45

ronin.45

I'm still confident with a snubby.

15. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

That might work. I don't want to have to be the first to try it though.

16. nmk

nmk

Now that's funny.

:rofl:

17. fastbolt

fastbolt

A 5-shot snub revolver is harder to shoot accurately & effectively for some folks, and the 5 shot capacity could be an issue if more rounds were needed for any particular set of circumstances. Big surprise, right?

That said, I still choose to carry one of my 5-shot snubs more often than not. Yes, I run the risk of not knowing the immediate future each and every time I choose to pull a J-frame from my safe and slip it into a pocket holster.

I invest a fair amount of practice & drill time in my J's, though (and I'm a long time revolver shooter).

I wouldn't consider carrying one of them as a primary weapon under a range of circumstances I typically encountered before I retired from LE. Again, big surprise, right?

On the other hand, neither would I have gotten apoplectic if I'd been told I had to return to carrying a 6-shot service revolver toward the end of my career (with the inherent advantages of the heavier mid/full-size DA revolvers over the diminutive 5-shot snubs). It's a handgun.

I'm still less concerned about sheer capacity than I am any number of other potential influences, conditions and circumstances. I've listened to a fair number of cops who had been involved in shootings describe how they'd suddenly realized during the course of a shooting incident that they'd not been achieving effective hits with the rounds they'd fired (meaning the armed attacker was still up, mobile and shooting at them and/or other cops) ... and had to take a moment to make accurately aimed shots to stop the attacker.

Handguns are still just handguns. There's a reason good shot placement has been discussed as an important factor, and how shot placement needs to result in the significant type of damage necessary to the critical tissues, structures and organs that may result in the quick incapacitation of an armed attacker. "Wounding" isn't necessarily synonymous with that ... and nobody's yet devised a method to try and predict when an attacker might cease their deadly actions because of psychological reasons.

I often find one of my smallish pistols with 6, 7 or 8-rd capacity to be an acceptable "step up" (in capacity) from my 5-shot J's. The guns with 9 & 10-rd mags also see their time being chosen for retirement CCW use, too.

More often than not, I opt for a smallish gun rather than a "full-size" gun ... but that wouldn't be the case if I couldn't wring good accuracy & controllability from them. In that case, I'd dress around the larger guns, just as I used to do when I was younger and less skilled.

I'll be carrying one of my 5-shot snubs in a little while when taking my wife out for lunch and to meet someone for some business.

I can't presume to make prudent risk assessment choices for other folks. I have more of an interest in their skillset & mindset than their specific choice of dedicated defensive weapons.

Choices & consequences ... :dunno:

18. countrygun

countrygun

A few years ago I looked at the FBI "Uniform Crime Report" statistics. Surprisingly, at that time, is showed that civillians had a much lower round count per successful fight than either the bad guys OR cops.

At that time the averages were about 14 shots for the bad guy, about 9 for the Cops and abour 2.5 for civillians.

That was, about, the 1990 stats.

19. tongix

tongix

I would love to have a SW 640 with full house .357 .
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOZTqmVODsg"]Smith and Wesson J Frame 640 Part 1 of 2 - YouTube[/ame]

20. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'm from New Mexico. We don't need no stinking patches out here.