close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

High speed chase question

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by picturethis, Feb 11, 2010.

1. picturethis

picturethis

I witnessed a high speed chase in my city (Minneapolis) this summer. The suspect was driving a Mustang (looked like a Cobra), and was doing 110+. There were several officers in pursuit, but they were a good ways behind him. I know that a Crown Vic isn't a sports car, but I've read that they can go up to around 135mph. I love those shows like World's Wildest Police videos and Cops, and always love a good chase. I have a question and I hope it isn't a "bad" one so to speak. Does anyone know the percentage of high speed chases where the suspect gets away? I value my freedom too much to ever run from a police officer, even if I had a car that could do 180 and I could easily get away. All those shows feature high speed chases where the suspect always ends up getting apprehended. Do the police end up catching a good percentage of people who run? Obviously they aren't going to show people getting away on shows like Cops and the like. I've always wondered that. It seems to me that if you can get away before backup and the chopper arrives, that's the time to do it. Once the road blocks are set up and the chopper is involved, I'd imagine the chance to get away is very small. I would be shocked if the police were able to stop the guy I saw fleeing in the Mustang, simply because he had 1/2 a mile on them and was in a more powerful car. If this is a taboo question then a mod can just delete it. Thanks. :)

2. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

3. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash

Its pretty hard to beat the speed of a Motorola. I'd say if you can't ditch the cop in the first minute, you don't have much of a chance given that every free unit in the area is converging on the location, usually from different angles.

Now on a freeway in a major city there are going to be units near the off ramps for miles ahead.

I think there was a guy on a motorcycle in Arizona recently that had quite a big lead, but he eventually ran out of gas and got busted.

4. picturethis

picturethis

I assumed I would get some sarcastic replies, but this is an honest question that I have. It's in no way promoting running from the police, just a genuine question. I know for a fact it is not 0%, though.

5. picturethis

picturethis

My thoughts exactly. I would assume that a motorcycle would give someone the best chance of escape, given the extraordinary acceleration and maneuverability they provide over most/any car.

6. CW Mock

CW Mock

You can't outrun radios. There is always some dumb**** in a fast car that thinks maybe HE can, or its his lucky day. Probably always will be. First it was the Dukes of Hazzard, and then Fast and the Furious. Unfortunately, in real life, the cops tend to play pretty rough and for keeps. If its too dangerous, we'll get you another day, and you better hope the pursuit tax isn't too high, because unlike the IRS, we don't have a payment plan. It's one lump sum.

Hope that helps some. It's been my experience with things so far. :supergrin:

7. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

I just did the report for our agency and we are at 96% for those we chase.. We also have sticks in every car, pushbumpers and we train all enforcement deputies in the PIT manuver.

8. picturethis

picturethis

:wow:

9. Adjuster

Adjuster

Seems to me that the bad guy always wrecks out. Just because his car can do 180mph doesn't mean the driver can. This is especially true with motorcycles.

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

Our pursuit policy limits a chase to only violent felonies and then can be called off if deemed too dangerous. I would be surprised if we even reached 50%.

11. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

The only time I have not caught the suspect in a pursuit was when pursuits were terminated by a supervisor.

12. ashtxsniper

ashtxsniper TX Open Carrier

I have had a few give me the slip that knew I was coming after them and got a large jump on me before I could get up to speed. . Any officer that gets into chases often will lose a few from time to time. If I can get a LP # they may get away but I will win in the long run. I lost one once because a young child and his dog ran in between me and the car I was chasing. After coming to a stop and and resuming the chase when the road was clear the driver had left me way behind and hid somewhere. All of those that got away from me have gotten away in the first 2 minutes.

13. 4949shooter

4949shooter

I don't have any stats to offer but we have had more than a few pursuits end in the death of the violator.

Unfortunately some have also ended on the death of the officer in pursuit.

14. CW Mock

CW Mock

Yeah, make no doubt about it, some get away. It's almost always at the very, very beginning of the mess. They duck off, etc. But generally, once we are on them, and the "pursuit" has officially begun, very rarely do they get away, especially if there is more than one car involved. I suppose you could call supervisor or officer termination a "loss" if you want to, but I see it as a win in the long run. Lot less people's lives at stake. I generally don't give a damn if the dirtball obliterates himself in the process, but I would hate to see some innocent person get it.

I have seen a few end in violator death or disfigurement before. Generally bike jockeys that over-drive/ride their ability. We had a pursuit in '06 (I think) where we TVI'd a car at 90MPH, and he was ejected. That was curtains for this kid, but he had been trying to ram people the entire time.

And sadly, like 4949 pointed out, there have been several officers lot in pursuits too. We have lost Troopers to it before.

It didn't take me long to learn that pursuits may look fun on TV, but they suck to do in real life.

15. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

That pretty well sums up the SOP of the regional a provincial police here in Ont.

16. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

If we don't catch them in the first few minuets, or the pursuit goes too fast in a populated area we call it off. Mainly due to the danger the public is in. I have seen more than my share of pursuits end in a crash with an uninvolved party. Bad guy goes to the hospital and sometimes the uninvolved party goes to the morgue! The only exception is if this guy is wanted for numerous violent felonies. We, of course, back way off once a helicopter arrives and takes over.

17. jethro21

jethro21

The statement was made earlier and it has been my experience as well that people can't drive worth crap. Criminals as well.

Just like us, suspects get tunnel vision. That added to their typical inexperience with highspeed evasive driving on busy streets usually leads to a wreck, whether with another car or typically when trying to make a corner too fast and hitting a house/wall/parked vehicle. That then leads to a foot pursuit (unless injuries occur) and the suspect is usually caught within the perimeter.

18. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

As previous posts have stated, if the perp doesn't get away immediately before we can call for support on the radio and get an available airship, then the chances of them getting away diminish every second.

There's no vehicle that can outrun a radio and very few that can outrun a helo. There are a few instances where I have heard of people getting away and that's due to a combination of luck and geographic layout which availed them of certain advantages in the situation. I won't go into specifics but suffice to say it is not too often.

I haven't been in too many but the few short ones ended with the suspects being apprehended fairly soon before it turned into a full blown situation where people will be endangered.

19. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

Did ya look up in the sky and see the bird? He wasnt outrunning anything.:cool:

20. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Around here the capture rate is probably about 80-85% for success. Why so low? Because it's hard to get units in position to assist, either with sticks or with force. PIT is rare around here as well.

However, you can always count on the stupidity of the flee-er to crash into something at some point.