High speed chase question

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by bfg1971, Jan 27, 2010.

1. bfg1971

bfg1971

Back when I was young and very stupid I was coming home from an ACT prep class that my parents wanted me to go to and decided to see just how fast Mom's car was. The car speedometer pegged at 85 so I have no idea of how fast I was actually going but covered 5 miles in under 3 minutes.

About mile 4 I passed an LEO going the other way and rationalized at my speed I would be home before he could get turned around and catch up. There were two areas of terrain that would obscure my car from sight from a following car. I had been home for long enough to manually open the garage, park the car in it and close the door. About the time I sat down in the house the cop went by at a very high rate of speed.

How long would you attempt a high speed chase when you could no longer see the vehicle and had no possibility of backup due to rural area?

2. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Just speculating here, but how do you know that there wasn't a different call that they were rushing to? Obviously would be quite the coincidence, but still...

3. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Yes, you were very stupid. And selfish. Going 85 mph or faster would have been a great opportunity to run mom's car into a tree to check if the air bags deploy properly. Kill yourself I couldn't care less. But your selfishness put any number of other people on the road at risk.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  4. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Nowadays you take the in car camera footage - send it to the lab - tune it up, sharpen it up - once you get the return on the license plate you call the boob in who ran from you.

5. Man With A Gun

Man With A Gun

5 miles in 3 minutes is 100 mph. If you covered the distance in less than 3 minutes, you were doing 100+.

Assuming the speed limit was 60 mph, and you did the limit the whole way, your time to cross 5 miles would have been 5 minutes.

You saved two minutes by doing over 100 mph, assuming you kept that speed up the entire distance.

You saved less than two minutes if you did not travel 100 mph the entire distance.

Answer this question: since any crash with another vehicle (or God forbid, a pedestrian) at those speeds would likely involve death or grave bodily injury, how do you justify what little time you could possibly have saved (the only "upside" I can come up with, except maybe some cheap thrill at skirting the law and evading capture) against having to live with yourself for the rest of your life?

Add to this the fact, as you've already pointed out, you put the LEO in a very uncomfortable decision of having to speed to try to intercept you, thus risking lives, versus letting you continue without pursuit. Such decision would not have been necessary had you, yourself, not chosen to be doing (in FL) criminal speeds.

Serious question. I'm expecting your answer.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  6. ctaggart

ctaggart

I don't think he was trying to save any time, he was just young, dumb and full of..well you know what. To answer your question, I wouldn't pursue very far if I didn't see the vehicle. Just chalk it up as a loss or drive further down the road at a reasonable speed and look for a possible crash. I think we all drove a little recklessly when we were young. I know I did.

7. uncbear4

uncbear4

I agree. For all we know, this could've been 25 years ago. Does that make it right? No. However, the OP has already acknowledged that he (maybe she) was young and stupid.

Why do people generally ask questions? Typically it's because they're curious about what others have to say in response. That's all I see here.

If the OP wanted a lecture, he/she would've asked for one.

- Bear

8. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Agreed. I don't do street cop work, but we have similar situations. The only differences are that we can if in the more secure environments call up video from the hard drive and look things over and find them.

On the outside on the reservation, we would pursue if necessary, get their licence plate number if possible and take care of business from there as appropriate.

9. snair

snair

he said he was in a rural area. havent you ever done 100? it may be against the law but im not that anal, if there was a bunch of traffic or kids around its totally different

10. trifecta

trifecta

Speaking only to the scenario as given...One car doing 100 for no real reason(the OP) is not smart. A second car doing 120 or more to try and catch the first car is not any smarter. At least the OP could blame it on youth and didn't have a wife and kids needing him home in one piece.

11. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

If I know the car is going at an excessive speed the other way and by the time I turn around, I can't even see the guy, I will proceed at a reasonable rate in that direction, but I will call it in so other units can intercept or at least BOLO.

I won't go over the speed limit or drive dangerously to pursue what I can't see.