close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

High sights for Glock with suppressor.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SunsetMan, Feb 9, 2005.

1. SunsetMan

SunsetMan Deplorable Lifetime Member

I plan on getting a Gemtech SOS-40 suppressor for my .40 Glock 23.

Ironically, I had Millet adustables on the gun that got dammaged in transport and I replaced them with Meprolight fixed sights. I love the Mepros, but I'm sure they will be obscured by the suppressor.

I don't care for the looks of the Millet adjustables that much. To me they look kind of fragile and like they would catch on everything.

Meprolight makes some adjustable night sights that look more robust than the Millets:

http://glockmeister.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/6_37/products_id/178

I saw a Dave Bowie custom Glock on one of the gun mags recently with adjustable Novak sights on it that looked awesome. Novak doesn't seem to make their Extreme Adjustable sights for the Glock though:

http://www.novaksights.com/extreme_duty_adjustable_sight1.htm

Right now the Meprolight adjustables seem like the best. Can anyone think of any more high sights that would work with a suppressed Glock and require no gunsmithing?

Pictures if you have them.

2. Jakk

Jakk Millennium Member

Maybe not the answer that you were looking for, but you could always mount a red dot on the gun. That would get over the can with no problem.
    [​IMG]

3. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

That is what I use.

4. r2kba

r2kba Relax

haha damn that can is huge on there. I've been tempted to use my mac can on a G19 :)

5. Jakk

Jakk Millennium Member

DING DING DING. We have a winner. That's a Bowers CAC45 can for my MAC10. I had the thread adapter made up to go on a Contender .44 barrel, but the threading was the same pitch & diameter as on my threaded 9mm comp barrel.

6. SunsetMan

RenegadeGlocker, do you have any pics of your gun with the adjustable Meprolights on it?

Jakk, my, what a big can you have :) I don't think I want to go with a red dot just yet. I have a 2nd gen 23 anyway, so no frame rail.

I saw a little Walther P22 at the local gun store with a red dot sight on the factory sight mount. Damn that thing looked cool and would look even cooler with a can. Too bad the P22 has so many problems.

7. r2kba

r2kba Relax

Hehe I knew it was one or the other, cant tell in the pic. Hows the gun work with that thing on there? Theres no way it cycles :)

8. UZIFORME

UZIFORME

Absolutely not needed for a two eyed being. You have two eyes, you need to see two things. One eye dominant sees and focuses on the handgun sights, this eye can not see the target because the silencer blocks it. The other eye sees the target, it is not blocked by the silencer, your brain mixes the signals and you see both images at the same time. Line them up and there you go. Once you are used to it you will not even notice.

Demo this for yourself. Sit in your room look at a doorknob far away, that is your target, now put your hand up in front of your dominant eye, that is your silencer blocking your sights.

You can see the detail of your hand and you will also see the doorknob.

It will work the same with shooting a gun with blocked sights.

9. SunsetMan

UZIFORME, I agree with you, but it just feels wrong to have the target blocked (meaning I'm not used to it yet).

I taped a piece of cardboard to the end of an airsoft pistol to block the target. With a little practice it became more natural to superimpose the images, but I don't know that I would ever be as accurate as when the target is not blocked for my dominant eye.

One reason I could see for high sights would be for when I let others shoot the gun. While I am motivated to learn to superimpose the eye images, I'm afraid others will be put off by it. It does take a bit of getting used to. I want to promote the use of suppressors and if anyone asks to shoot it at the range I want them to have an enjoyable experience and not be frustrated by the sights.

Whenever I get the suppressor I'll use the fixed Mepros for a while and see if I like it that way or if it annoys other shooters.

10. Jakk

Jakk Millennium Member

Actually, it doesn't even cycle by hand like that. When the gun cycles, the barrel moves back until it unlocks from the slide. The guide rod stays put. As it is now, the thread adapter butts right up against the front of the guide rod, so the can (and barrel) can't move back and unlock. I would have to grind out a notch in the thread adapter for the guide rod to clear. And then I'm sure the gun wouldn't cycle anyway. That can is massively heavy for a handgun.

I had to unscrew the adapter just to cycle the gun.

I would have tried it out to see how it sounds, but I haven't really had a chance. I currently live in Missouri, where silencers are a no-go. I have to store my cans in another state, and only get to visit a couple of times a year. :(

11. iffy

iffy

one eye sees sight aligment, other eye sees target, brain superimposes the two images, press the trigger.