close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

High End Knives...Japanese vs. German

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Wulfenite, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

2. Pawcatch@aol.co

Pawcatch@aol.co

My current go to Japanese kitchen knife is a Masahiro hocho with a carbon steel blade,but I prefer to use knives that have soul.By that I mean a knife that is made and used in a country with a tribal culture.
    Such as the Okapi knives from South Africa.
    www.okapi-knives.com

3. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

Well, if you mean like Global versus Wustoff there's a pretty clear difference. I have both, because I like to take advantage of both.

The main difference is that Japanese blades tend be to higher carbon steel and thus a little softer. That means they will take a sharper edge but need to be straightened and sharpened a bit more often.

I use Wustoff for every day stuff and the Globals when I need to slice through tree stumps in a single cut. All kidding side, my Global sashimi knife is the sharpest thing I've ever picked up. It is razor sharp down to the handle (no heel on this knife). It will cut you if you look at it funny.

-Stooxie

4. noway

noway

{Such as the Okapi knives from South Africa.
    www.okapi-knives.com}

Have you had any luck finding a dealer here in the states? I tried emailing them on their cane knifes and had no luck.

As far as the JA vsr GER steel, the Nipoponese have produce some great stainless steel blades that are easy to sharpen, shows very little rusting and staining and are pretty affordable.

5. Pawcatch@aol.co

Pawcatch@aol.co

Noway,you can buy the Okapi pocket knives from several dealers here,but the two butcher knives I bought were special orders from World Knives.Also,Ragnar will probably carry them if he gets enough requests.

www.ragweedforge.com
    www.worldknives.com