High end drip coffee maker reviews

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by certifiedfunds, Feb 15, 2017.

1. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

2. Mark2Glock

Mark2Glock Redneck Handyman

LOL! Will not be any better then a 25 dollar Mr Coffee machine unless it make you feel good spending more money on something where normal people wouldn't! ;-)

3. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

I don't have experience, but I'd try most any of those. I love coffee. Finding good coffee is hard, but I drink it all. Including old, stale, truck stop coffee. I appreciate fine cups, but I'm equal opportunity drinker of the bean beverage.

phil evans, Paul53 and janice6 like this.
  4. light-switch

light-switch Back to work...

When it comes to anything related to food-making, I like America's Test Kitchen reviews on hardware: they tend to be more "practical", providing opinion from both food professionals and consumers perspectives.

Here's a review made 3 years ago.

5. 2cats

2cats Millennium Member

I've got a Bonavita 1800 with the insulated carafe. I'm happy. At the time, along with the Technivorms, these were two of the very few (maybe two) brewers that achieved and maintained the recommended temperature and brewed for the recommended time. I guess they're as good as those recommendations are. If my Bonavita got destroyed by lightning (the grinder got goosed pretty good last Wednesday, but it recovered), I'd get that 1900 to replace it.

Paul53 and Hairtrigger like this.
  6. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    The question isn't will it make better coffee, but would you be able to notice?

people who like to add creamer to it till it's tan, are probably best served by a $25 Mr coffee.

People who enjoy coffee for it's taste can often tell a difference between blends and might see a difference between a $25 pot and $250.

6Actual and Sechott like this.
  7. Sniffler

Sniffler Ooo baby

I use a french press and make it so strong my BIL is the only one other than me who will drink it.

8. Mark2Glock

Mark2Glock Redneck Handyman

I drink black and frankly the difference was not there! ;-)

9. Tvov

Tvov

When I want a really nice cup of coffee, I use the french press. Otherwise we just get the least expensive drip coffee maker that has automatic shutoff (usually 1-2 hours). We get a new coffee maker about every two years or so. The insides just get kind of grubby, coffee grounds end up in weird places, etc. Just easier to replace, and usually even extensive cleaning still doesn't bring it back to like-new.

Also, percolator! Which we usually only use when camping or at a friend's hunting cabin. I don't know if it is location or quality brewing (probably both), but perc coffee just always tastes great!

I am interested in this thread for responses from people who have used the expensive drip coffee makers... are they really worth it?

10. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

<---- been using the Technivorm Moccamasters for many years.

certifiedfunds likes this.
  11. dudel

dudel

Best for me is my Chemex
    http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/

It's important to bloom the grounds, then follow with the rest of the water. An insulated carafe is nice if you plan to brew more than you drink in one sitting. I just brew less.

I see Chemex now makes an automatic.

12. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

Your inability to notice a difference doesn't negate there being a difference.

And just because you drink it black, doesn't mean you can tell good coffee.

Much the same with beer, or any other food really.

GamerGirl likes this.
  13. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Got one of these a couple months ago:::

https://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-6-C...=UTF8&qid=1487166883&sr=1-1&keywords=bialetti

It's supposed to be six two-ounce cups, but I just drink it as one cup. I like VERY sweet and black.

I mostly drink coffee for the caffeine and a cup of this is on the high end of ZOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!!

I'll drink one cup a day at home, but at work I fill up two thermos' with "The Nectar de la Hotels", which is the dregs of something the disgruntled night employee concocted with skill and loving care.

14. ChessMan

ChessMan Lobster hunter Millennium Member

Get a coffee maker with a metal carafe that is insulated to keep the coffee warm for 2-3 hours. Try to stay away from glass carafes with a heating pad -- they tend to keep cooking the coffee after it's brewed, often scorching it -- leads to bitterness.

For years I used the Bunn coffee maker with metal carafe. It brews fast and doesn't overheat the coffee. I also used store-bought roasted beans and ground them. Way better IMHO than pre-ground coffee from a can.

For the last 2 years I've been using a Breville "grind and brew", plus I roast my own green coffee beans. It works great. Once you start roasting your own beans, you can never go back. Also use filtered or bottled water, never tap water. I can definitely taste the difference.

I use the rule of 15: Green (unroasted) beans stay good for 15 months, roasted beans stay good for 15 days, and once you grind the beans they are good for 15 minutes. Sooooo, using the grind and brew Breville you take care of that last rule.

I'm partial to green beans from Costa Rica. Order them in 10-lb bags from Amazon.

No I'm not a coffee snob! :)

Paul53 and NewWaveGuy like this.
  15. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

What's the health risk with something like this?

G23c and certifiedfunds like this.
  16. Tvov

Tvov

In what way? caffeine intake?

17. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Just mocking the Tewwowist.

18. AzItLies

AzItLies

Another vote for French Press (my bodum costs about 20 bucks).

I grind the beans prior to every time I use it. A bit time consuming yes, but well worth it flavor / taste wise.

Keep the xtra coffee warm? Use a thermos type thing. Keeping *any* coffee hot after brewing will diminish / burn off the oils and anti-oxidants that are said to be healthful.

fresh beans in a French Press... can't beat it.

cbetts1 likes this.
  19. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

French press or bialetti.

The bean is the important issue as far as I'm concerned.

Sniffler likes this.
  20. DubfromGA

DubfromGA

I've had a Bona Vita for the past couple years.

It does well on brewing at what I feel is a consistently great temperature to ensure a nice robust brew.

One thing about it though is that my model uses the flat paper #4 filters. These have to be folded just so in order to modify the length. If not done perfectly, then they fold over during carafe insertion into the unit......and you'll get overflowing of hot coffee grounds and coffee all over the freaking counter. It's a bad design and one that I think they've moved away from.

There is no burner.....just the glass lined carafe that keeps the pot warm for hours.

Overall, it's a great machine so long as you pay close attention every time you load it.

Now.......for the money.....the stainless Bialetti stove top expresso maker for $25 simply can't be beat in terms of flavor. You can pack it with the finest grain size and let it ride. It makes on mean cup of java. On my days off when I have time to fool with it......it's what I use.

I'll like fire it up this afternoon, lol.

The best coffee money I've spent over the years is the Mr. Coffee burr style grinder I bought. It yields a consistent grind size and has been flawless and easy to keep clean. Excellent value.