Glock Talk banner
81 - 100 of 267 Posts
Very nice review, as usual. :thumbsup:

Next review should be along the lines of suitable carpet for handgun pics. :supergrin:

Hello bac,

I appreciate the time and effort you placed into your post, as I have considered purchasing a few of the models you have listed.

I would love to hear your opinions on several more models I am still considering, particularly with regard to (listed in general order of my priority)
1. trigger (weight, feel, action)
I consider the CZ Tactical sport the benchmark target pistol trigger and assume your CZ champion has a very similar if not identical trigger action.

2. ergonomics (grip size, angle, trigger distance, balance, weight)
I would likely place the CZ-SPO-1 or SIG 226 X5 Level 1 as the benchmarks in this category.

3. sights

4. recoil and weight

Models I am considering include:

1. Beretta 92 Steel
- now ruled out based upon your description of the trigger.

2. S&W PPC 9mm
- likely ruled out as it is no longer available from the factory.

3. Beretta 92 Combat

4. Beretta 92 Target

5. Tanfoglio Gold Team Elite 9mm
- in particular I would like to hear your comparisons between this model and the CZ Tactical Sport and Champion.
-I was seriously considering this gun for its factory compensator, ported barrel, and fitted magazine well but eventually passed due to numerous reports of difficult repair and parts availability and very poor customer service.

6. HK USP expert 9mm

7. HK USP Elite 9mm

8. Glock 17L with Vanek trigger kit
- I already own this, but would like your opinion for comparisons to other models (above).

9. CCF raceframe with g34 or g17L slide
- I already own this, but would like your opinion for comparisons to other models (above).

10. STI Targetmaster, 9mm
- I already essentially ruled this pistol out secondary to its ergonomics, and expensive, limited capacity, and questionably reliable magazines, though I would like to hear your experiences and comparisons

Many thanks for your insight.

SSR

Excellent work, and super pictures in this very informative, and I'm sure, time consuming Post .... :wow:
How many years did it take to accumulate this fine arsenal of pistols ? Again, very cool thread ..... :bowdown:

Discussion starter · #87 ·
Excellent work, and super pictures in this very informative, and I'm sure, time consuming Post .... :wow:
How many years did it take to accumulate this fine arsenal of pistols ? Again, very cool thread ..... :bowdown:

Thanks for the compliments.

I've been collecting handguns for a long time, but all the pistols in this thread were purchased over the last four years or so.

Discussion starter · #88 ·
Hello bac,

I appreciate the time and effort you placed into your post, as I have considered purchasing a few of the models you have listed.

I would love to hear your opinions on several more models I am still considering, particularly with regard to (listed in general order of my priority)
1. trigger (weight, feel, action)
I consider the CZ Tactical sport the benchmark target pistol trigger and assume your CZ champion has a very similar if not identical trigger action.

2. ergonomics (grip size, angle, trigger distance, balance, weight)
I would likely place the CZ-SPO-1 or SIG 226 X5 Level 1 as the benchmarks in this category.

3. sights

4. recoil and weight

Models I am considering include:

1. Beretta 92 Steel
- now ruled out based upon your description of the trigger.

2. S&W PPC 9mm

3. Beretta 92 Combat

4. Beretta 92 Target

5. Tanfoglio Gold Team Elite 9mm
- in particular I would like to hear your comparisons between this model and the CZ Tactical Sport and Champion.
-I was seriously considering this gun for its factory compensator, ported barrel, and fitted magazine well but eventually passed due to numerous reports of difficult repair and parts availability and very poor customer service.

6. HK USP expert 9mm

7. HK USP Elite 9mm

8. Glock 17L with Vanek trigger kit

9. CCF raceframe with g34 or g17L slide

10. STI Targetmaster, 9mm
- I already essentially ruled this pistol out secondary to its ergonomics, and expensive, limited capacity, and questionably reliable magazines, though I would like to hear your experiences and comparisons

Many thanks for your insight.

SSR

Wow, let's see.

For starters, I do believe the CZ TS and Champion have identical triggers, though CZ claims the Champion has more hand fitting in the building process. Either way, they both have outstanding triggers. Since the Champion is gone now, the Tactical Sport is pretty much CZ's top pistol.

The Smith PPC-9 is for all intents and purposes, a double stack 952.

The Tanfoglio triggers are very nice. I have the Limited, which has the same trigger as the Gold series. That said, its not as light or crisp as the Champion's trigger.

I don't have any experience with the Vanek trigger kit, so I can't comment.

As far as the STI is concerned, I don't feel its quite up to the quality level as some of these target pistols. I do love the 1911 trigger, but for the price of some of these pistols, you can get a better 1911 then the Targetmaster.

Thge USP Expert and Elites are nice pistols, but I don't feel they have triggers on par with some of these SAO models.

The Berettas are also very nice, but I'd take the Steel model over the Target or Combat.

FWIW, I would not rule out a pistol just because its no longer in production.

Hope this helps somewhat. :)

Once again bac,

Thanks for your time and effort.

Your opinions on the Beretta Steel, SW PPC 9, Tanfoglio, and STI are particularly helpful - I suppose I can put those issues to rest and keep my eyes open for a nice PPC 9 and/or CZ champion (it seems someone recently purchased the last one on the continent :supergrin:).

Good luck and happy collecting.

SSR

Discussion starter · #90 ·
Once again bac,

Thanks for your time and effort.

Your opinions on the Beretta Steel, SW PPC 9, Tanfoglio, and STI are particularly helpful - I suppose I can put those issues to rest and keep my eyes open for a nice PPC 9 and/or CZ champion (it seems someone recently purchased the last one on the continent :supergrin:).

Good luck and happy collecting.

SSR
Thanks.

Glad you liked the report. :)

That's an idea, Berto.

I don't think I've ever posted a revolver test on this forum.

I have some nice wheelguns, but not nearly the variety like I have with autos.
A Colt, Ruger, S&W and anything else you've got tucked away "shootout" of the .357 caliber would be interesting. No raceguns or performance center gun, maybe replacement grips and small DIY tweeks.

81 - 100 of 267 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.