close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

High court rules against FCC in clash over profanity, nudity on TV

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TBO, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
  2. Berto

Berto woo woo

The 200 grand should help her feel better, I'm guessing.

3. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

4. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

:crying::crying: I need the gov't to protect me from seeing nekkid people and cusswords and stuff. That's scary! :crying::crying:

Won't somebody please think of the children? :crying:

5. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

Bandwidth is a limited resource, and therefore regulated for public interest. It makes sense for certain public interests to be protected on the airwaves.

Of course, public airwave entertainments days are numbered. That argument won't be an issue for long.

6. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

You can SEE the words coming out your TV's speaker?!?!?

:whistling:

7. OctoberRust

Next you'll tell me IP addresses are a limited source and need to be regulated. :upeyes:

Before you look it up and tell me they do, there's this thing called NAT overload and IPV6.

In other words, it's just another BS excuse for gov't to gain more control over crap.

8. OctoberRust

Yea, I see them. And jesus does not approve. :whistling:

One theocracy, under god!

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

LOL

I remember that episode of NYPD Blue. The blond that was shacking up with Sipowitcz. His son caught her nekkid a la Kramer vs. Kramer. (Yes, I just went WAAAY old-school, yo!)

I don't think I've seen "outbursts" of nudity on my TV before. That sounds exciting. LOL

10. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Tell me about it.

they put these detailed "This is rated this for this" warnings on the rating at the start of some DVDs now. Supposedly, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" has "GRAPHIC NUDITY". Now, I am something of an expert on recognizing nudity in a movie. It had SOME nudity. No where near what I would call "GRAPHIC" nudity.......

Funny thing, a DVD I watched the other day was PG-13. One of the things that made it PG-13?!?!?

SMOKING............

11. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

What's the rating for Smoking Hot Graphic Nudity?

12. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

Our impending shortage of IPv4 addresses doesn't prevent people from delivering varying sorts of content. Even if it did, nothing is preventing us from switching over to a better numbering system except software.

How many channels are there on your TV or radio? How many more channels do you think there can be from a technical perspective? How about according to the laws of physics?

Bandwidth is a public resource, and as such the public should get some say in their use.

13. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

So if I put a nekked picture up of myself..is that nudity or graphic nudity??

14. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

I don't know......

You a fitty?

15. OctoberRust

My answers above, you seem sorely mistaken, and misinformed.

16. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

There is far more to IPv6 deployment than just flipping a switch on a router (and there are plenty of holdouts aside from the US. Most of the world, in fact.). Old operating systems, even many recent home routers, numerous corporate software installations, numerous ISP (or internet related) billing systems... and no, not all of them can be solved with NAT/PAT. Incoming connections are kind of important.

If you think you're going to win an argument by waving around half an associate's degree worth of professional expertise, you are condescending to the wrong person.

Regardless, IP address shortage is not a great burden on diversity of content delivery and therefore it is not a good comparison. No one is talking about the FCC regulating content on the internet.

How did you miss the point that I was talking specifically about radio broadcasting? None of this applies to cable or the internet. It never has. That's why HBO and Cinemax can play whatever they want without the FCC stomping them down.

Is this why you weirdly turned this toward the issue of content on the internet? The whole issue is about broadcast television. "Bandwidth" means more than "the amount of bits transferred over a network". You do know why it's even used for that term in the first place, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_(signal_processing)

Now, for transmitting data using radio waves, only a limited part of the spectrum is useful for long-range transmission, and that has to be divided between different services, and then divided between different channels for different services. You can't subdivide it infinitely, because you need a minimum amount of "space" on the band to transmit a useful signal.

That's why airwave radio broadcasting is a limited resource, and that's why it's a publicly managed resource, and that's why the FCC gets to exist and have a say (however poor a job they're doing being irrelevant to the point).

It's OK not to know these things. It's not OK to spew condescendingly about these things when you don't know about them.

I'm not misinformed, but you mistaken. Because you are an idiot.

17. Brucev

Brucev

More power to the FCC. Let them go right ahead and scribe the line of decency to exclude trash, all of course without stepping on the little toes of the boys and girls in black robes. No problem with the FCC acting to keep trash off the air. Those who think otherwise can go hang out on the net, etc. In fact, when it comes to the net, etc., there is no reason why the FCC or some other similar agency should not exercise the exact same control over filth. If someone doesn't like it, tough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.