close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

high cap .45 mags

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by muddmonky, Jun 27, 2011.

1. muddmonky

muddmonky

first off y the lack of high cap .45 mags anyway.

main questing is has anyone tried the sgm 27 round (one solid piece) mag from theglockstore?? if so how was it.

iv seen the korean one and herd it sucks like all the other korean mags. the only other one iv seen is that 2 piece on where you stick your factory mag inside a big fat extention dont like the looks or the idea of it unless you super glue the 2 pieces together i guess.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Ummm G21 mags are 13 rounds, no lack if you look.

3. Bruce M

Bruce M

Got a 13 round .45 magazine from someone here on the classifieds. It works fine.

4. Judge Roy Bean

Judge Roy Bean

GRT45, here on glocktalk, is a wealth of knowledge on this particular issue. Find him, and check out his posts/threads.

The KRISS mag is the 2 piece that you mentioned in your post. Mine has performed flawelessy so far. The only issue is that I cannot load it to 30, only 28. I have taken it apart several times, and have let it sit for more than a week fully loaded. It still won't load 30.

You do not glue the KRISS mag. It is an excellent design, and I assure you it looks BADA**. Much more intimidating than my 33 round 9mm mags.

I believe GRT45 did some drop testing with the 27 rounders and scrapped em after that. (they didn't pass).

5. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Hello muddmonky, welcome to Glock Talk.

I have a SGM Tactical (SGMT) 27-rnd 45ACP mag on order and will be running it through live-fire function tests and fully-loaded drop tests for durability in July. I bought it from Tactical Defense Solutions.

Update (7/16/2011): See my review of the SGM Tactical 27-rd 45ACP mag in Post #23 below.

The SGMT 45ACP mag interests me because it's a U.S. company and SGMT has a history in the Saiga shotgun and AK-47 mag business. I'm looking for another U.S. manufacturer to put on my recommended list with the KRISS Vector MagEx extension for a G21 mag. The KRISS MagEx is manufactured by Magpul in the USA.

There is new information about the Asian Military 27-rnd 45ACP mags in my review of the Korean mag marketed under the Victory brand name and sold by B otach Tactical. I updated the review to include new results after following a suggestion from GT member Twoball to improve feed reliability of the Victory mag. His suggestion made a dramatic improvement in the durability of the mag in drop tests. See MY CONCLUSIONS and Recommendation sections at the end of my review at the following link:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16700911&postcount=12

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  6. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Judge RB, I suspect the spring coils at the bottom of the KRISS MagEx extension are hanging up on the top of the locking tabs. I had the same problem with one of my six MagEx units that I couldn't load to capacity. I worked with the locking tabs to increase the clearance inside the mag so it could easily seat the bottom coils below the locking tab when assembled and allow the coils and follower to move freely when fully compressed.

It's important that the MagEx locking tabs do not protrude into the interior of the mag body. I repositioned the tabs outward on a disassembled mag by wedging a thin knife blade between the mag body and locking tab, heating the tab with a hair dryer (high setting for ~1 minute) and letting it cool in that position. Rounding off the top, interior edge of the tab with a fingernail file would help too, but I didn't find that was necessary.

I have no problems loading any of our six MagEx units to capacity now (by hand or using an UpLULA ammo loader).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  7. muddmonky

muddmonky

thanks for the info judge and grt45 ill look a little more into the kris mags and good luck on your testing grt45 i appreciate any kind of testing and result tests that ppl post on the forums.

to the first few posts sorry for not differentiating high cap vs super high cap i guess you could call it

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  8. Judge Roy Bean

Judge Roy Bean

Thanks GRT, I'll pull it apart again when I get home. When I assembled it last time, I made sure that the bottom of the spring was seated at the bottom of the mag. I guess it could be one of the last few coils that is getting hung up, which is probably what you are suggesting.

I'll try your fix when I get the chance. Let us know how the new mags work out.:wavey:

9. DFin

DFin

If you want more than 13 rounds you can install an Arredondo + 4 extension. It is a lot more practical than the Kriss 30 round extension or the 27 round Asian mag. The Arredondo kit with the spring, sleeve, base plate and tool is expensive though at $38.50 (the Glock mag body and follower are not included!!) For $3.50 more you can get two Glock 13 round mags!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  10. Judge Roy Bean

Judge Roy Bean

Not sure how less rounds for more money is more practical?:dunno:

11. 21Carrier

21Carrier Until I Gota 29

I have one of the 27 round KCI magazines for my G21SF. I currently have 650 rounds through it with ONE failure to feed. The round was standing straight up in a stovepipe sort of fashion. All I did to mine was clean all the grease out of the inside, and leave it loaded for two days to loosen the spring. AWESOME range mag, and if it hits 1000 rounds with only 2 total failures, I'll consider it as a backup HD magazine.

Don't count out the KCI mags!!! They are not all junk!!!

12. Judge Roy Bean

Judge Roy Bean

I'd like to try one out. My korean 30 round 9mm has worked fairly well so far, especially for 8 dollars.

13. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Because there is no fully automatic Glock in .45 ??

You don't think the 33-rounder was made for the G17 or G19 (or G34) do you?

No.... that mag was designed around the G18, which is fully automatic and would go through smaller magazines too quickly, THAT is why Glock has a high round magazine in 9mm.

They don't in other calibers, as they don't make full autos in other calibers.

The aftermarket folks might, but Glock doesn't.... they don't see the need.

14. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Perhaps DFin means an ultra high-cap mag is less practical for tactical use, when one needs to maneuver the pistol quickly and repeatedly in a HD situation, for example, house clearing in darkness. The protruding "happy stick" can become a real liability, especially in a hand-to-hand struggle with a BG. The spare 45ACP mags we store with the pistols in our household for HD are G21 mags with Arredondo +4 extensions (17 rnds). The ultra high-cap mags are only last-resort stashes of ready ammo.

15. Judge Roy Bean

Judge Roy Bean

Well don't I look like a horses a**. My bad DFin.

16. furioso2112

furioso2112

Seems he was comparing the price of the Arredondo extension, which adds 4 rounds to the standard-capacity 13-round G21 Magazine, for a total of 17 rounds, to 2-13 round Glock magazines, for 26 rounds total. So he was referring to 50% more rounds, though spread over 2 mags at a cost of an additional couple dollars, depending where you buy them. I ordered a couple piles of new OEM Glock G21 13-round mags from Botach and got them delivered for under $18 each a couple months ago. They do have some shipping and customer service issues, but it's hit and miss, rather than predatory. Be prepared to exercise your rights via e-mail and calls, repeatedly, but it will work out in the end. For instance, a few of the mags they sent me were 10-rounders; it took a month and a pile of calls and e-mails, but they eventually sent me a return shipping label and replacement magazines - and doubled the number of magazines they sent me, so, really, my cost on the 25 or so mags I ended up with was really about $16 each, delivered, though it took some time and effort.

17. branden

branden AMERICA **** YA

Umm Glock makes factory 22 round 40 S&W magazines...there is no full auto 40

18. SCC

SCC Member Me

that's what i was just about to say :whistling:

19. AK74play

AK74play

Yes on the 40's. I got a bunch of them and they run just as flawless as the 9mm's. But for the 45, I got 6 Kriss mags and they made me really hope that Glock will make a factory 45 stick mag because they have already proved to me that it can be done. Really nice mags and have never had a single issue with the Kriss's.

20. DFin

DFin

They are more practical to carry as a back up mag as they are only slightly longer than a 13 round mag with a Pearce +2 extension. The Kriss and the 27 round mags are too long to carry as back up mags.
    Unfortunately the Arredondo kits are expensive at $38.50 expecially since a Glock mag body and follower are not included with the kit. The kit and a $22.00 Glock mag will cost $60.50 + S&H. To me that is a lot of money for 4 more rounds.

This expense is the reason why I have not bought an Arredondo extension kit for any of my .40 mags. A complete Glock 22 round .40 mag costs less (@ approx $35.00) and is only slightly longer. We do not have that option with the .45 mags.