Hideaway Strobes

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by hikerpaddler, Oct 16, 2010.

1. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

We've been instructed to have our chevy trucks/suv's equipment augmented by having strobes installed on all four corners. All our gear is normally chassis/grill/ window mounted. Are there known heat issues with Strobes affecting the housings or function of the stock lighting?

2. andy4731

andy4731

LED Strobes are the way to go. They are cheaper, brighter, cooler, and substantially more energy efficient. They use almost no power. Try looking at these:

Whelen Vortex LED

We have them installed in all of our new vehicles. If you set them up correctly, you can use the reflector of the factory light to make them even more visible. You can also program them in any pattern you desire.

Best of all, no strobe pack to install means less holes to drill and less wires to run.

Good Luck and Be Safe.

Andy

3. andy4731

andy4731

This place has some decent prices for a retailer and is easy to work with, very LE oriented:

Rim Industries

4. Ajon412

Ajon412

If you're going to use standard gas filled strobe tubes, try not to mount them in such a way that they'll touch the OEM bulbs behind the lens of the stock housing.

Andy4731 is correct.....Try for the LED strobes instead.....:wavey:

5. JTipper.45

JTipper.45

Nothing beats the intersection busting punch that strobes have. However they do pose some heat problems. First, when installing make sure to postion with space between the strobe tube and lens of the light housing that it is going into. This prevents melting of the lens. Second, don't over power the strobe. Most are rated to 30 watts but 15 to 20 will do just fine. This keeps you from melting the housing and prolongs the life of the strobe. Now if your looking for color, LED is going to be the way to go. Colored strobe tubes are horrible. LEDs run cooler and are a lot less hassle to install ( as mentioned, no power supply). Also with the composite lights of newer vehicles this adds a new challenge. My Tahoe has no hideaways installed because of this. I miss my old CV with its UFO looking 12 hideaways!

6. BLACK Z

BLACK Z

I handle he lights for our Dept, The reg Strobes Are bright and can be programmed but in some style of vehicles they can melt the housing and they do burn out regularly. The LED ones produce less heat but to me do not stand out as much and there suppose to last longer but I have had two go out fairly early. I prefer the standard strobes.

7. beavo451

beavo451

Another vote for LED. Our strobes constantly burn out and/or get loose connections to the power supply. A few cars have Vertexs,but the department seems to have moved away from hide-aways completely.

The Whelen Vertex is a great light, but I would suggest taking a look at the Universal Undercover LED Insert made by Soundoff Signal. It comes with interchangeable lens to help the light be distributed better in host light housing.

Another option to consider is to use surface mount LEDs on the fendeers and quartepanels.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  8. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

From what I read, the CVPI has space just for strobes on the rear brake light housing. When they switched from the amber/red lens to all red, they took out the bulb for the amber part but never filled it so now it's an empty slot for a strobe bulb.

The front is also not an issue from all the cars I have seen. We have strobes in our corners to augment our roof lights. The unmarked has grille lights with corner strobes.