Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I moved to Tennessee a couple years ago and I’ve started carrying concealed about a year or so ago. Im under the impression that if you have a gun with an after market trigger and you carry it for self defense, and unfortunately you have to use it, you will be prosecuted or arrested because of the trigger. Is this true? Should I only use it at the range?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it’s legal but consensus is you open yourself up to legal scrutiny if you have to use it for SD.

personally I carry a bone stock factory gun for CC

i have plenty of range toys back at home with modified triggers for range use.
I kinda figured that would be the case. Better to know open myself to scrutiny, especially during a SD situation. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
when we send a gun to the crime lab, they only thing they check (and what the Prosecutor cares about) is "Operability". Which means does it work. Not the internet fantasy taboo things
True, but the prosecution or plaintiff's atty will do their own investigation of the firearm and argue their own conclusions in court. Facts about the condition of the firearm can also come out in EBTs or depositions.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I haven't slept at the Holiday Inn Express lately, but I believe it is legal to carry with an aftermarket trigger. Post #6 sounds very reasonable. You will have so many other questions to answer/prove to judge/jury, that is, if you can afford a good attorney

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
True, but the prosecution or plaintiff's atty will do their own investigation of the firearm and argue their own conclusions in court. Facts about the condition of the firearm can also come out in EBTs or depositions.
The only thing we did for the Prosecutor was the Operability test. Have NEVER seen or heard of the defense doing anything further in my time in LE. Prosecutors/Defense, I have never met any, that knew anything about guns whatsoever much less have ever shot one.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Hi. I moved to Tennessee a couple years ago and I’ve started carrying concealed about a year or so ago. Im under the impression that if you have a gun with an after market trigger and you carry it for self defense, and unfortunately you have to use it, you will be prosecuted or arrested because of the trigger. Is this true? Should I only use it at the range?
Just remember none of these legal beagles are going to be defending you a few ever have to go to court

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I’ve never seen a use of force statute in any state that so much as mentioned the word “trigger”. Nor have I seen a criminal statute that mentions the word “trigger” or whether or not a gun is stock OEM or (legally) modified.

Any use of force will be evaluated based on the totality of circumstances and each one is unique. I’ve never seen a trigger act on the decision whether or not to charge from a criminal standpoint. I suppose a modified trigger has more likelihood to affect a civil suit, but even that is comparatively rare.

That said, with the exception of one competition 22 pistol, all mine are OEM simply because I can see no good reason to modify them.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts