Glock 17 Hi-Cap G17 Mags in G26?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Doug S, Sep 14, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Doug S

Doug S

Do the hi-cap G-17 mags function reliably in a G26? Anyone have any experience with these? I would like to pick one up at the next gun show, but don't want to waste my money if they will not function 100% in the G26 (as I've seen posted by 355SigFan).

2. KHAviator

KHAviator

A well maintained G-17 mag works just fine in my 26. Some very old G-19 mags in need of new springs and followers gave me fits until they got the required TLC.

3. DocH

DocH Man of Sorrows

Both the G17 and G19 mags work perfectly in my G26,as well as the Glock 31 rd mags. Never a problem. Same thing,just longer with different spring.

4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

I've also tried the G17, G17+2, G19, and G19+2 mags in my G26 with no problems.

5. Doug S

Doug S

Sounds good. Since they are reliable I'd like to pick a couple up at this weekends gun show. Hopefully they will be a reasonable price. Thanks for the info.

6. PaulBk

PaulBk Grumpy Grandpa

Does using a G17 (or other Hi Cap) mag in a G26 affect the balance of this fine sub compact? I would think that all of that extra weight in the grip would cause a distinct change in it's balance.

But I could be wrong ... :)

-Paul

7. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Yes, it does, but it lowers the center of gravity, so it helps keep the weapon on-target for quick follow-up shots (at least until it's empty/nearly empty).

8. clubsoda22

clubsoda22

I think i'm gonna pick up some G17 highcaps for my G26 tomorrow at the gun show. They should make excellent spare mags. If I can't get the job done in the first 11 shots, i'm probably gonna want a lot more ammo. I like the fact that anyone else with a glock 9mm can utilize my spare mags and that I can utilize anyone elses.

I already tried +2's on my glock 26 magazines and i don't like them. They are uncomfortable and really destroy the guns compact nature. I'd rather carry with the flush mag and have 2 G17 mags as backups. they are supprisingly more comfortable to shoot with than the 26 mags with the +2s. They are also much easier to manipulate for reloads. Masybe i'll transfer the +2's i bought to those. An extra 38 rounds in 2 mags would be SWEET.

9. Doug S

Doug S

I went to the show yesterday, but didn't pick up any mags. One dealer offered me 3 G17 mags for $120. He wanted $50 a piece. Don't know if it was a mistake not to pick them up, but I want to wait a little longer to see if the prices drop a little more.

10. DocH

DocH Man of Sorrows

No,it wasn't a mistake.That's way too much when the prices at Topgolck and Lone Wolf are as low as they are.Idiot dealers are still trying to rip off the unwary. Good for you for not taking them.
    Repeat after me: DEALERS ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS.

11. Doug S

Doug S

DocH,thanks for the feedback. I was sitting here this morning second guessing myself. I'll check out Top Glock, etc.

12. clubsoda22

clubsoda22

www.cdnninvestments.com has leo marked g17 mags for $15. shipping is $10 no matter how much stuff you order from them.

13. another okie

another okie

I have never had this problem, but some people have reported that gripping the base of the 17 magazine sticking out of the 26 changes the feed balance and occasionally induces jams. A good answer would be the A & G Grip extender, which you can put on the bottom of a 17 mag. It gives the same feel as the full 17 grip.

14. clubsoda22

clubsoda22

I've shot mine with G19 mags and there was no difference.

I don't like the AG grip extender. For one thing, i'm not sure how securely it's held in place and i wouldn't want it botching my reload if it shifted. secondly, one nice thing about carrying fullsize spare mags is i can toss any of my 9mm glock carrying friends (the person i train with the most carries a G19) a spare magazine and this device negates that advantage. You're probably better off teaching yourself how to shoot without the plastic pinky rest just incase the opposite happens and you're using someone elses spare mags in a SHTF scenario.

There's also a comfort issue i noted when using a +2 extender on my G26 mags which prompted me to take themk off. The lower part of the grip will move as the mags have a little play. This could also throw your shot.

15. drofnas

drofnas Senior Member

with very few problems. The only problems were with a used G17 mag that had old springs. I put a new spring in it and has been flawless. No extra sleeves or anything. No problems.

You shouldn't spend more than $25 or so for mags. That's about what 10 rounders were and normal cap should be that now too. The worst I've seen locally is $27 a mag. That's not bad considering a year ago the best I could find was $53 each. $50 each now is ridiculous. I don't care what a dealer paid.

16. clubsoda22

clubsoda22

$15 for G17 mags from CDNN. best deal going. I was at a gun show and pre bans are still at a premium. LE marked mags are less however. No idea why. G17 mags were from $20 to $45

Even with shipping i save money with CDNN.

17. jolly roger

jolly roger

I carried a 17 mag in my detective assigned G26 constantly until I was issued an HK USP C 45. I wanted to have as many little rounds as possible. Never was a problem at all during range quals. A lot of boneheads used to tell me my mag was falling out. That was the only drawback. ;Q

18. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

;z

19. SilverState

SilverState

Along the same lines of the original question, can you use G19, G17, G18 mags in a G27 with a 9mm barrel?

20. Doug S

Doug S

CDNN is out of new G17 mags, but they have used 17 round (not drop free) mags for $10 each. I ordered 3 of them because all of the other distributors that I spoke with had about a 4 week wait list. I hope the used ones are in decent shape. They shipped the same day, & I should have them within a week. I'll post after I see their condition & get a chance to try them out. In truth I was getting a little nervous about the upcoming election. If by chance Kerry is elected, & there is a renewed threat of an AWB in the next year, the thought occurred to me that dealers might just start elevating prices again knowing that the window of opportunity for purchasing hi-caps is limited. I hope this thought is unrealistic, but I'll be happy to get a couple of cheap used hi-caps quickly in the meantime. I can pick up some new ones later.