close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hey - my cabin almost made the news yesterday

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dennis in MA, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

WOO! It's Janet Wu! On the street where my lake cabin is.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/video/22992190/index.html

They might cut power to my cabin today if the road becomes impassable. (How one has to do with the other I'm not sure.) They evac'd about half the street and cut power to a dozen homes or more.

I'm on higher ground than this, I've got a real foundation and my sump pump is running well so I'm hoping they keep power going and I'll be fine. But DANG! 15+ inches of rain this month alone. That's what we normally get in 3 months!

And this after the wettest summer on record and no work to lower the lake levels during the fall and winter. WHOOPS!

I really can't complain. There are folks in RI already flooded out and they expect ANOTHER TWO AND A HALF FEET of river water in their homes by tomorrow. WOW!

The great news: This is a once-in-a-lifetime event. We won't have bureaucrats this dumb AND this much rain for the next 100 years. :)

2. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I hope you have a generator/fuel to keep the sumps running WHEN they cut your power. Take a good LONG thought if staying is worth the risk... Stuff CAN be replaced.
    If you stay after they evacuate have a escape route, a second, and a plan if you can't get out. I.E. "take truck up mt road to top, Have a rope/so you can climb to top of solid object, and have some food/water/shelter already up there"

3. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

A swimming pool inside the livingroom looks awesome.

4. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I know what you mean dennis. We've had over 10 inches so far this month, plus the runoff from the snow. Right now the river is above flood level and still rising. Good luck dennis and be safe.

5. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

It just keeps on coming.

6. Dennis in MA

The wife and chill'in went down today. Pump still running. Lake cresting. Whew! We're about 4" from the sea wall. Dam is breached on both sides as is the main throughway down town. (GOOD! Maybe others will notice the problem and beat on the idjits that caused this problem!)

My neighbor is toast. Water in his house, power off, no real close family, lost his wife a year or so ago (suicide). Poor guy won't take any help. Just sits in his soggy living room. :(

Most of the rest of the folk on my side of the street are doing OK. Not great, but OK. It'll be weeks before teh levels get somewhat safe. . . then months for hte lake to get back to "normal."

At least the herring don't need any fish ladders this year. :upeyes: (That was part of the problem - a DPW guy in a neighboring town raised the gates on a dam b/c he was "worried about the herring." He didn't want to hear that the lake was already too high. I'm hoping he gets a fat demotion b/c of this. He wanted our town to pay for an environmental impact survey before he'd lower the gates. Finally the state called him 3 weeks ago and told him he'd be arrested, shot, drawn, quartered, fed to the ill-tempered sea bass and hung on a pike if he didn't drop the gates. He did. )

7. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member Silver Member

8. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

Good luck with everything and stay safe.

9. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

They make water powered auxillary sump pumps that do not require electricity. They run off the water pressure in you water supply pipe! The battery back up sumps are OK for a day but when the battery runs out of juice you are screwed. With the water powered sump as long as you have water pressure in your home your sump pump will work!

10. Dennis in MA

Hahahaha. Well water. (I did think of that yesterday, for about a second. LOL)