Hey Martho..

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FN64, Jun 4, 2007.

1. FN64

FN64 Guest

A friend sent me this link.. I've never seen the concept before, have you? Any thoughts on the design??

http://www.taktenna.com/

Thanx & 73..FN

2. martho

martho Guest

I've never seen that product. It's more of a quad configuration than a dipole, but it must have some sort of directionality for them to brag about it. I would like to see it on the modeling software to see the lobes/nulls.

We all know that a dipole 15' off the ground on 40m makes a very good stateside antenna. I wish there was more of a comparison between antennas at the same time. He states there was no difference in audible signal strength between his 80m dipole @ 30' and this thing at 11'. Well, he says his dipole was N/S and he was bragging about getting a 59 from a station in CO2 on this TAK antenna. From W5 to CO2 is about 1K miles. This path is easily doable on just about any antenna on most bands everyday. Notice, he never says on which band he worked CO2. He said he was using a 40m dipole, but doesn't say which band.

I'm sure this antenna works to some extent. However, I cannot imagine it has anywhere near the peformance of a simple 40m dipole at 20'. A shortened antenna used with a tuner is never going to work as well as a full size antenna.
    There are some shortened antennas which work semi-well, however sticking with your basic antenna theory will never let you down.

The review by N4... is very subjective and never uses any real comparisons. There may be a reason for that.

My dad put up a Cushcraft MA5B at 27' a few months ago. I was very curious to see what the small beam would do on the air. It has a very narrow bandwidth which is the biggest drawback. Sure it is better than a multiband vertical for Rx, however it doesn't even come close to the full sized yagis like the Skyhawk and Steppirs for bandwidth.

Is there something you want to put up and are space limited?

3. FN64

FN64 Guest

Limited space has kept me off the air except for camping trips or other portable ops.
    *My* current situation is in a small house located between two other small houses about 15 ft separate the buildings. In front there's a 14KV utility line about 10 ft from the upstairs window. To the rear the land goes up a steep bank about 25-30 ft & somebodies deck hangs out over it.
    All I have is a 20M inverted vee laying across the ridge of the house.. Noise floor is terrible and any TX wipes out all the consumer electronics..
    Nice situation aye??

I'm working on moving to a new location but that's not a definite yet..
    Anyhow.. A bud sent the link my way & I thought it looked a bit skeptical too but figured I'd ask around.

BTW.. I'll be camping the end of this month thru the forth so will hang a 40M wire & work what I can.. Maybe we can hook up.

Thanx & 73..FN

4. martho

martho Guest

Any thoughts about a multi-band vertical?

Most will give you 10 12 15 17 20 30 and 40m and would be decent. The Hygain DX-88 is not a bad choice for a space limited situation.

5. FN64

FN64 Guest

I've spent hours drooling over catalogs but $$ is tight so homebrew would be my choice..
    Still, no room for ground radials & the landlord doesn't want anything on the roof so I'm kinda sticking my neck out as it is but the vee's just laying there..not hard mounted so I can pull it down if need be.
    I'll prolly hold off on anything till I arrange a better location.
    FN