Hey! IPDBrad! Did you see this?

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by R. Emmelman, Sep 11, 2007.

1. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

:animlol: :rofl:

September 11, 2007

Dunkin' comes 'round
    Carmel store opening is start of doughnut chain's push into Indy area
    By Tom Spalding
    [email protected]
    September 11, 2007

CARMEL, Ind. -- Central Indiana residents enjoyed a sweet celebration Monday as Dunkin' Donuts opened in Carmel followed by an announcement that other stores will follow in Indianapolis by late October.
    Executives say a new Dunkin' Donuts will open at 7015 Kentucky Ave., Sept. 28, followed by two more eateries Oct. 28 at 86th Street and Ditch Road and at 38th Street and Shadeland Avenue.
    The latter two locations had not been previously announced.
    Executives say long lines at the store opening Monday at 1305 S. Range Line Road in Carmel only reaffirmed their commitment to Central Indiana. The New England-based chain plans to blanket the metro area with 80 locations over the next six years, part of its national push to triple in size.
    Dunkin' Donuts promotes itself as less upscale than Starbucks and more service-oriented than convenience stores. Officials believe the brand's modestly priced java and yeasty sweets will be an indulgent treat welcomed by Hoosiers.
    "It's exciting. We're very encouraged by the reception we've gotten," said John L. Dawson, chief development officer for the Canton, Mass.-based company, as late-morning customers stood shoulder to shoulder in a long line. "It validates our feeling" about this market.
    Don Moore, president and CEO of Miracle Restaurant Group, which owns and operates the new Carmel franchise and is developing the 86th/Ditch and 38th/Shadeland operations, said his three sites were chosen mainly on traffic counts.
    "We don't want them driving by at warp speed. We want them to notice the restaurant," Moore said. The new stores will be at least 2,200 square feet.
    All the stores will be open 24 hours a day. The menus go far beyond jelly Munchkins and coffee served in those recognizable white cups. New staples include hash browns, flatbread sandwiches and pizza.
    The launch in Carmel featured a pep band saluting patrons and performers wearing life-size coffee cup costumes.
    Steve Petty, 48, and his 30-year-old son (also named Steve) didn't need glitz as an incentive to make the trek to Carmel. The Indianapolis Eastsiders munched from a box of glazed, powdered and jelly doughnuts in the front seat of their car, but didn't hog the entire carton.
    "The womenfolk will yell at us if we don't bring back their favorites," the elder Petty said.

2. mpholic

mpholic

So why did they fail the first time they were here?

In the end dirty stores, poor service, inconsistent quality.

I remember years ago looking forward to a trip to Dunkin Donuts and all their variety. They took a wrong turn somewhere along the line in Indy years ago.

Longs are STILL the best!

3. epsylum

epsylum Guest

I have been to some of the new Dunkin Donuts in other states. They are COMPLETELY different than the ones we used to have. They look like a friggin Starbucks now. They may do better now that they don't look like a bus station inside (complete with homeless people :supergrin: ).

4. IPDBrad

IPDBrad Guest

I always found there donuts to be stale and too heavy.

Now Krispy Creme makes a fine product.

BTW, I can't believe we don't have some sort of donut smilie.
    :tongueout:

5. Scutter01

Scutter01

I'll just be happy to be able to buy a donut again that's not glazed with a coat of sugar. I never understood why KK had to do that with every single one of their donuts.

6. IPDBrad

IPDBrad Guest

Hater.;)

7. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

I go to Boston twice a year and you cannot swing a dead cat without hitting a Dunkin' Donuts (heck, there are several right in the airport). I go in for coffee sometimes. The stores are very clean and hire people who seem to be literate and familiar with basic hygenie.

I remember the one on West Washington Street. My dad and I stopped in there in the early '80s or so. It was filthy (the floors, the counters, the bathrooms) and I remember the counterwoman having maybe 4 teeth and an extra 400 pounds.

After that experience, I started working out every morning and eating fruit and oatmeal for breakfast and then brushing and flossing my teeth twice in one morning.:supergrin:

8. rhino465

rhino465

You need to share the secrets of your regimen with your English brethren!

:tongueout: