Hey - did you know going to the range is fun????

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dennis in MA, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I think I forgot. It's been TWO YEARS since I was there last.

My daughter's BF is heading off to Lackland AFB on Tuesday. So this past Tuesday, he asked if I'd take him to the range. "Do you have an AR15???"

We went. Boy it was fun.

First we got a 6-pack of Moxie. I find it explodes the best. Then we did some work at about 15 yds with the pistol on a bowling-pin style steel plate. We shot the 22/45 and then went through a couple of guns I'd bought in the last 2 years but hadn't shot. (SHAME ON ME!)

Then went to the 10/22 for the cans of Moxie on the berm at 50 yds. He did pretty well. Gosh those things get smaller every year.

THEN we pulled out the AR and he had at them with that.

Best part was we got home, he followed me to the basement, helped me put everything away and we field-stripped the AR twice so he could get a head start on his platoon next week.

Gosh it was fun. I need to find a cheap soda that explodes easily.

Oh, and it turns out my EOTech on the AR is dialed in perfectly. I had forgotten I took care of that. LOL

2. rock_castle

rock_castle Right is right and Left is wrong.

Awesome! I usually buy 12 packs of Walmart cola for $2. Shake them up good and then knock em down. Way better than paper targets IMO.

3. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

You mean, you don't shoot 4k a month in training? Jeez... you're lucky to make it back alive from the mailbox.

Joshhtn, hogship, KBKEITH and 2 others like this.
  4. Bruce M

Bruce M

Sounds like a fun time at the range. Hate to see the Moxie wasted thoug... ohh wait , never mind. I have had it before.

5. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

A bad day at the range is better than a good day almost everywhere else.

wp

KBKEITH, MO Fugga and rock_castle like this.
  6. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

OUTISDE ranges are fun. I find I don't really enjoy stuffy indoor ranges anymore.

7. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Stuffy indoor ranges are good in January. LOL. Our indoor range will be complete some time this fall - just in time to actually USE it. :)

Even to just throw 50 rounds downrange once a week would be nice in the winter.

I'm hoping to get out again with the girls some time later this month. Take a day and head out.

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I belong to 2 gun clubs. I haven't been to one of them in a long while (years). The other has a indoor range too, so I do visit that one a few times each winter :)

Otherwise it is mostly out my back door nowadays. Taught a friend to shoot the other day, and he asked if he needed to buy any ammo, and I said, "no, I've got it".

9. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

Oh yeah! They are a blast! My wife and I Belong to a club with a nice range. Went out yesterday and introduced a daughter of a friend to gunz. Went through all the safety rules first and then gun operation.

I put one round in a mag, she's 23 year old, never even held a gun before and took a G19 from 20 yards and drilled the first round dead center. She fired probably 50-70 rounds and missed the black area on a silhouette target only 7 times. She had fun!

10. KBKEITH

KBKEITH Problem Solver

The range is fun indeed. I took today off from work for the sole purpose of spending a better part of the day at the local outdoor range. The weather was great and my SKS and G43 shot really well.

The best part of the day was the guy next to me had his young son set up with a 10/22. He was teaching him proper gun safety, proper shooting techniques and the rules of the range. He made certain that his son followed his directions. I let him know how impressed I was that he was teaching his son in the manner that he was. Very cool.

The dad really had an interest in my 43, so I asked him if he wanted to run a few mags through it, he was like, "heck yeah!" He cycled three mags worth of ammo and said he really liked the little Glock. He shook my hand, thanked me and even offered to sweep up my brass. I meet some of the nicest people at the range whenever I go. How cool is that?

11. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Good job, Dennis. I hope the AF has added a little more small arms training to their regimen. IIRC we had two days on the range right at the end of basic, and we fired a couple hundred rounds through the M-16. Yes, back then there were no M-4s, etc. Our security teams on the Minuteman sites had only just recently converted from M-1 Carbines to hand-me-down M-16s when I arrived in the field in '78.

We carried S&W Model 15s when we were carrying target tapes, but otherwise we maintenance troops were unarmed save for the security guys they sent out with us. Then later in my tour SAC installed 12ga riot guns in the launch facilities to use against any attacking terrists. Sounds good until you consider that 00 buck fired in a cylindrical steel launch tube will just bounce around until it hits something soft enough to absorb it. That'd be me...