Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading somewhere that all the stuff a cop wears to work weighs between 25 to 30 pounds! I can't stand the weight of my clothes when I'm at work and I'm a cook.
How do you deal with it? Also how many of you guys have back or leg issues? How long is the term of "patrol officer" before you finally vet to ditch all that stuff?

·
Why so serious?
65,926 Posts
Lots of cops have back issues by the time they near retirement.

There are things we can use to help reduce the issues, such as suspenders, and especially load bearing vests (no, not the military style), but many Political and LE leaders think they "look bad", so don't allow them.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
My stuff weighs out at about 25lbs when I carry my back up. 2 years from retirement and have had back issues. Not my spine, my lower back muscle. I can pull it with no warning and I'm out for about 17 days. Goes into a spasm and debilitating. Work out, lift, run etc.. and it does not help. When it pulls, it is so bad it pulls my right shoulder down lower than my left. I figure sitting in the car, my back is at an odd angle that is what causes the problem but can't say for sure.

I have known guys that have had major spine issues from it.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
A person gets used to it after a while, but it does get heavy. Between a duty rig and vest, you are correct, around 32 lbs. I tried to lighten up by going to anything lighter. 2A vest, Alloy Cuffs, Glock G23, SERPA holster, 1 spare mag on belt, 1 in a mag pocket. Nylon or plastic cases hold everything else I carry. No duty belt, a 511 riggers belt. I still carry around 28lbs, including Radio. So there you go.
And like DNA said. Go Tactical w/ a M4 Carbine, Plates Vest and mag carrier, and you must make sure you don't fall into deep puddles!
Just about as heavy as being in the Infantry again.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
And I know what you mean, BSA70. I have back issues as well. It's a PITA!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Funny thing is you don't even notice it when you're busy. The only time I really noticed it was during a CVE (truck) inspection if I had to check the brakes. To do that I had to go under each axle on a creeper, rolling from the drive axles all the way back. When it was time to get up off the creeper, then I REALLY noticed the weight.

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
117,494 Posts
I think the old Sam Browne belts would look sharper than load bearing suspenders, for bosses that worry about image.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Do cops
Lots of cops have back issues by the time they near retirement.

There are things we can use to help reduce the issues, such as suspenders, and especially load bearing vests (no, not the military style), but many Political and LE leaders think they "look bad", so don't allow them.

Do cops do deadlifts or yoga for their back? Obviously, that's probably an individual question?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I never envied the LE guys having to wear that gear all day. We were pretty heavy and bulky with turnout gear and scba, (anybody remember steel tanks?) but at least we got to take that crap off for most of the day.

Reactions: rfd339 and Nanuk

·
Registered
839 Posts
I must say, I am very impressed on how many foot pusuits I've seen on Cops/Live PD where the officers run down the suspects. Impressive enough to outrun someone 10 years your junior, but doing it carrying an extra 30 lbs. is quite an achievement! Yet it seems to happen all the time.

·
Registered
32,471 Posts
Now that I have retired my back has gotten much better. I still have 3 compressed disks, two compression fractures of my vertebrae, and I am 2 inches shorter than 20 years ago but I am much better now. A chiropractor helped but covid cut that short.

·
Why so serious?
65,926 Posts
I went 2.5 decades w/o any back issue... until I did. Big, strong, fit, still happened.

I did a back rehab regime that taught me a lot and have me a road map to heading off/mitigating potential issues.

I'm fortunate that for the most part no return, no missed time.

I think they should incorporate specific core strength training in both LE schools and in agencies as part of wellness.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Same way we deal with other parts of the job, embrace the suck.

Staying seated too long (doing paperwork or stuck blocking the road with your patrol car) is a bad deal, it helps somewhat to get up and walk around.

You kind of get used to the weight until the back, hips or knees flare up.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I never thought about how much people who wear a tie everyday dictate policy concerning the people wearing the heavy stuff all day! Props to you guys for putting up with it.
Much respect to those who pursue the career knowing it's gonna be a lot of pain. It takes motivation to wanna chase a guy down. How many times do you think , "please not today."

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I was reading somewhere that all the stuff a cop wears to work weighs between 25 to 30 pounds! I can't stand the weight of my clothes when I'm at work and I'm a cook.
How do you deal with it? Also how many of you guys have back or leg issues? How long is the term of "patrol officer" before you finally vet to ditch all that stuff?
It gets heavy... I was a patrol officer 25 years before I started to promote. I loved working the field.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts