close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hey all, quick follow-up on previous question

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Maelstrom, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Maelstrom

Maelstrom MiniCapitalist

I read through Ross Enamait's website and started doing just some interval burpee/pushup routines.

Right off the bat I realized was how amazingly, totally, embarrasingly out of shape I was! I mean, I know that I had been slacking for the past few weeks (years!) but I seriously had to quit after doing a 10 rep burpee then 10 rep pushup the first time.

Anyway, that was about a week ago and now I can do 2.5-3 sets of 20burpee/20pushups with as much explosiveness as I can muster.

My workout partner (dog) helps keep me motivated by jumping on my head and running underneath me while I'm doing pushups if I don't lock him out of the room.

I have been pleased on how fast I am progressing. I am stronger and have noticed a decrease in abdominal fat. I used to be pretty faithful in bodybuilding-type exercises so maybe the "muscle memory" is helping me out.

It also helps me to not eat as much junk food. No use working hard and then negating it with the bag of cheetos!

Anyone have Ross's books? Should I get Never Gymless or the Intensity one?

Have those who are doing more of a Crossfit/Enamait type routine noticed appreciable gains in size?
    Thanks!

-edited because I can't get the pic of my dog to work, meh.

2. DBradD

DBradD

I've not read either, but the reviews are outstanding. Never Gymless is for bodyweight only stuff and Infinite Intensity includes weights. That's all I know.

Just before I hurt my shoulder and had to quit upper body work, I was thinking that my biceps, triceps, and shoulders had never grown as quickly as they had over those few months. I started doing lots of pullups, handstand pushups, dips, and regular pushups about 6 months earlier. I think "size" is a secondary (or lower) consideration, but I really think that one would pack on muscle from those types of routines.

I've read some about Ross lately and I think his stuff sounds awesome. I like how it really doesn't require much equipment. CrossFit tries to come across that way, but it's really not true. It's true relative to a bodybuilding / cardio gym, but still requires a lot of equipment and a fair amount of room--or a gym membership.

3. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

First, Maelstrom, sorry for the partial thread hijack.

Brad,funny you should talk like this. I cannot get motivated for Xfit right now. In fact, instead of today's workout, when I got to the garage, I did some overhead lunges and they felt so good, I did 10 light singles in the snatch. It felt really good.

I'm confused now. I want to start training the 3 classic lifts along woth the front squat and DL. The problem, is, I need cardio for my health. Maybe I'll buy Dan John's CD and the Emanait book and train cardio with those, some jump rope and some running and do a One Lift a Day Program on top of that.

The other option istraining 3x weekly with the weights and three times weekly doing HIIT (mostly on my treadmill). Ocassionally I'll throw in a Xfit metcon workout or jump some rope for extra work. I got my BP and Cholesterol under control once doing that.

I just need to pick something and do it. I just like lifting low reps, it is more fun. Training for specific goals is more motivating. Maybe I should try training for a 5K.

I'm confused.

Jack Walcott said he had one of the Enamait books, didn't he?

Jack

4. California Jack

Oh yeah, back on track, I think my biceps and lats are bigger after 2 months of Crossfit.

5. Jack Walcott

Jack Walcott

Hey Guys, Yeah, I have the Ross Book titled "Ultimate Training for the Ultimate Warrior". I can't find it right now in my book mess. I didn't lose a bit of size with Crossfit. All the pullups and Olift stuff really kept my size up. I didn't lose any weight with it though until I got pretty strict with my diet. I just counted calories using the FitDay software. Lost 14 pounds but went on a imported beer kick and gained it all back. I'm back on the straight path now so I hope to get back down somewhat. Jack, I know what you mean. I try to do it all as well. Right now, I'm concentrating on my 5X5 training and only doing about 1 Xfit METCON a week. Last week I did the filthy 50 (cept I only did 25 of each activity). From what I've read, you can't do it all. You have to pick a few things and work at those. Here is an Olift workout that you might really like. It has some cardio built in:

A Program by Gary Valentine

Try This:

Monday
    1. Snatch...3 x 3
    2. Behind Neck Jerks...3 x 5
    3. Front Squats...5 x 3
    4. Snatch Pulls...5 x 5
    5. Sprints...40 yards, 5 sprints with 20 seconds rest in between

Wednesday
    1. Cleans...5 x 3
    2. Back Squats...5 x 5
    3. Standing Press...3 x 5
    4. Clean Pulls...5 x 5
    5. Jump Rope...10 second sprints, 5 sprints, with 20 seconds in between

Saturday
    1. Snatch...5 sets, up to a max single
    2. Clean and Jerk...5 sets, up to a max single
    3. Romanian Deadlift
    a. Snatch Grip...2 x 5
    b. Clean grip...2 x 5
    4. Straight Arm shrugs...2 x 5
    5. Vertical Jumps for height...10 jump per set, 5 sets, 20 seconds rest in between

Whatever the "Look of Power" is, you WILL have it after six months of this type of traiing. You will certainly BE powerful, which is all that matters. Feel free to adjust sets and reps up or down a bit on a given day. Say push for a rep max on one or all of the exercises depending on how you are recovering.

Any training program is only as good as the nutrition and revoery methods you use. Get two grams of protein per kilo bodyweight every day as a MINIMUM. Fifty calories per kilo bodyweight per day with quality, high fiber, fresh foods, and much water.

6. California Jack

Yeah, that Gary Valentine routine is great. I remember when he posted that on OSST. Jack, you must frequent some of the training boards I used to hang out at.

7. California Jack

Yeah, that Gary Valentine routine is great. I remember when he posted that on OSST. Jack, you must frequent some of the training boards I used to hang out at.

8. DBradD

DBradD

Hmmm. Have you looked into the ME Black Box stuff that's somewhere on the CF website? I have only seen passing comments about it, but it sounds kinda like what you want to do. I think the idea is to replace some of the MetCon workouts with strength training. My biggest question is how to recover from all those types of workouts simultaneously. I'm sure it can be done--I just haven't read up on how to do it. If you like the ME Black Box, then that would relieve you from trying to figure out how to juggle this stuff, assuming that you want that relief, that is. Sometimes it's fun to invent something.

Here's a strange idea, kinda against the grain of CF especially. Steady-state cardio requires no recovery whatsoever. Would it help to do your strength training full-force and just add 45 min. / day of a cardio workout that would keep your heartrate high enough to do some good? I don't know all the theory about which intensity is better, etc., but I can tell you that my heartrate stays very high when I do the StairMaster. I've kept it over 140 for 45-60 min. at a time. I've taken my pulse right after a couple of brutal MetCon workouts and it wasn't any higher than that. I don't know if this is smart--just an idea.

CF has a way of confusing me too. I am unhappy with several aspects of the program, but I don't have a better idea at the moment. The Ross stuff is intriguing, but I just don't have time to dig into something else. I'm anxious to read your review of Ross's book, whichever you choose.

CF also has plenty of intensity that could cause one to just get sick of it. I've read posts from some folks who do a half-effort week every month (I think) and take an entire week off every so often, 3 months IIRC. If I ever get cranking full-force again, I'll probably do this.

Our 2nd kid is due next Monday, so I'm going to be lucky to do anything for the next month or so. Sure as heck glad I'm in school and not at a real job, LOL! I can take a couple of weeks off and nobody will care until my dissertation proposal is due in April. If I workout a lot less for a month or two, it could be a blessing, letting my shoulder heal completely.

9. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Maelstrom, you might want to post your question in the Ross forums on his site.

I too have been checking out his stuff since it was posted here and am quite impressed, it's right up my alley. If a tree falls down in my yard, I'm the kind of nut who passes on the chainsaw and cuts the whole thing up with an axe and calls it a workout.

And like Cal Jack said, I'm confused as to what I want to do. Or I should say I have too many ideas and not enough time.

I've been doing bodybuilding type lifts for years now, and recently took more action with the 3 powerlifts and am loving it. Also want to get into box jumps when it warms up outside.

But in the warmer months I mountain bike a lot too. So I want to lift 5 days a week, ride my bike 2-3 days a week, find time to do my box jumps, and some Ross type stuff.

My endurance is way down since I've only been lifting though.

This spring I'll either be in the best shape of my life or die of exhaustion!

I decided to pass on the books for now, but I heard they are both great. Ross said he might have a DVD coming out in the future. In the meantime I've just been checking out every possible thing on his site.

If I were you I might just bite the bullet and buy both books.

10. Maelstrom

Maelstrom MiniCapitalist

I am comfortable with bodybuilding type exercise so I think I will get the Intensity one. Im sure there are more than enough bodyweight exercises in that one as well. Ill keep you all informed!

11. California Jack

I was just thinking about this last night. Good luck and please keep us posted.

About steady state cario, I think I'm going to do it and hiit. Finding time will be the hard part. I think that is a good suggestion. Lyle McDonald once told me that duration is more important than intensity for cholesterol control. The Heart Cure book says burst of intensity are better for heart health/conditioning. I guess I'll try to fit both in.

12. DBradD

DBradD

Such a contradiction is almost funny in 2007.

One thing that stinks is that you'll not know which one caused the improvement if you do both from the beginning. This is kinda like what I did to my shoulder. I let it rest 30 days. It felt fine and I started re-introducing exercises. I re-introduced exercises too quickly (like pushups during one CFWU, then pushups + pullups during the next) and then couldn't tell what caused it to start hurting again. Should've probably did a week per exercise, not one workout per exercise, duh.

I think I'd be tempted to try one, then the other, unless you're in emergency mode. I don't know how long one should give one a try, though. Anyway--just an idea.

Good luck either way.

Wife's having contractions, very irregularly timed, 5-10 min. apart. My best guess is that she'll pop tomorrow.

13. California Jack

Get a good nights sleep. It may be you last for a while.

14. Jack Walcott

Jack Walcott

Hey Jack, I got that from the archives at powerandbulk.com

15. California Jack

Yeah, they got it from the archives of Andy Fochtman's Old School Strength Training Board where Gary posted it first. That board is dead now, but there are some really good articles in the archives. Stuff that was posted by Brooks K., JV Askem, Gary V., Danny John,even Shafman. If you can find it, it may be worth checking out sometime.