close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hex receiver 1938 date Mosin Nagant?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Doug S, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Doug S

Doug S

A local shop has a hex received Mosin Nagant 91/30 dated 1938. From what I've read the hex receivers were only used until 1935. Would one marked 1938 be considered "rare"?

Thanks for any info.

2. DougC

DougC

Check ou this site www.7.62X54r.net There is a wealth of Mosin information on that site! Anything and everything you want to know is there to be found!

3. Doug S

Doug S

Hi DougC,

Thanks for the quick response, and link. That is the site were I read that the hex receivers were not being used after 1935ish. I'm hoping someone can confirm the accuracy of what I read.

4. DougC

DougC

That is usually pretty much the definitive site for Mosin information. Now that I have thought about it, it could be that it was re-barreled and/or re-arsenaled in 1938. You should be able to locate the date of the receiver stamped on it somewhere. It's fairly common for that kind of stuff to have taken place. Force matching of serial numbers is common as well. My 1927 Tula 91/30 Hex is force matched. Thing shoots great though! First time out with it I shot a 3/4" 3 shot group at 50 yards. Great old rifles they are!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

5. buyobuyo

buyobuyo

It could be an old receiver that was re-barreled and re-issued. If the shop will let you, pull the receiver out of the stock and check the date on the rear tang.

6. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Most likely it was rebareled. As was said the date will be on the underside of the tang.