Here's a novel idea: "Constructive Journalism", it's a real thing...

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by RussP, Aug 1, 2018.

1. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Journalistic standards have declined from reporting "If it bleeds, it leads" to nowadays "fear-based" news programming. There was yellow journalism, progressive journalism, muckraking, investigative journalism, broadcast journalism, and now the Internet with "citizen journalists".

But now behind all that is a style we are not hearing about in the USA, Constructive Journalism. From Wikipedia:
    Wouldn't this be a much better approach?

2. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

What if 'journalists' would begin by asking a few questions like these four...
    1. Linear Questions ("The Detective"): Basic investigative questions that deal with "Who did what?, Where?, When?, and Why?". This type of questions helps discover the factual aspect of the problem or issue.
    2. Circular Questions ("The Anthropologist"): This type of questions discovers relevant contextual perspective behind the facts. Examples: "How did this affect you (or other things/people/etc.)?" and "What is your explanation for A or B?".
    3. Reflexive Questions ("The Future Scientist"): In reflective questions, the interviewer suggests a new perspective on a given topic, thereby nudging the interviewee to reflect on a new possibility of constructive solutions to the problem or issue. Examples: "What do you think A believes, when he is in that situation?", "How would you approach this problem?", and "What action should be taken in order to do A or B?"
    4. Strategic Questions ("The Captain"): Directs the interviewee into commitment of the solution. Examples: "What should be done?", "Will you do it?", and "When will you do it?"
    Questions soliciting solutions might get the Congress persons sitting down at the table to work out these issues.

LASTRESORT20 likes this.

3. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

Most people look for sensationalism, not analysis that you actually have to listen to and understand. Bad news sells. I don't think much has changed since 1982, when Don Henley wrote the song "Dirty Laundry"...

I make my living off the evening news
    Just give me something-something I can use
    People love it when you lose,
    They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
    I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear
    Come and whisper in my ear
    Give us dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up
    Kick 'em when they're down
    Kick 'em all around

4. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

Officer's Match likes this.
  5. quasii

quasii

Journalism went from fact reporting to Entertainment, then Sensationalism and now Fabricated Op-Ed Propaganda as truth - All within the span of a decade.

6. D-Ric902

D-Ric902

The 24 hour news coverage has killed decent journalism. It’s all marketing now.