Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
66,048 Posts
Good.

Think of it like this:

1. We have the seats to stop them.
2. This means even more votes for Republicans in the next election.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Something about skating and thin ice comes to my mind. Let these idiots do as they please...I think Bren may be right.

Greg

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
When even Dick Cheney is supporting limits on magazine capacity I'm not so confident this will end well.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Yes, please Dear God let them expend their political capital on gun control!

It worked so well for them last time.

·
Banned
4,424 Posts
The zebra can push for it and the lions can have him for dinner.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Obama is going to be named "Gun salesman of the year" for the second year in a row.
A big 10-4 here. I started learning about pistols in January 2009 thanks to the election. In January 2010, I bought my first Glock, a 19, after a year of classes and being able to rent guns and compare. In some sort of January tradition, I bought a G26 in Jan. 2011.

So, I have to thank Obama. Because of his election to President, I began pistol training and now have my CCW. I could have never realized what a great 'hobby' shooting is. I look forward to the days I know I am going to the range after work. It's pretty much like being with family when I'm there.

nc19

·
Registered
329 Posts
I guess if Loughner used a car to run over the victims in the Arizona shootings that they would also ban sedans, issue a 3 tire only limit, issue a 10 day waiting period for a car, and blame the car for the causing the crazy guy to run over his victims. that is the problem with the antis controlling the press, they can be illogical and present outright lies and not be called on it.

·
Registered
27,987 Posts
Good.

Think of it like this:

1. We have the seats to stop them.
2. This means even more votes for Repubglicans in the next election.
Democrats are on DU freaking out over this, cuz they know they're going to get absolutely creamed if Obama does this. Personally, I don't think he will.. and if it does, Obama is gonna have someone else do his dirty work.

Example:

Remember when the first AWB was ending, and people kept yelling at Bush about whether he would sign it if a renewal got to his desk? What did he say, Well, its not on my desk, so I can't really do anything about it(paraphrasing of course). He never locked himself into a position that could be held against him, by either the Pro Gun side, or the Anti-Gun side..

Obama will do the same thing... he will push some ******* in Congress to push this bill, it will fail, and Obama can tell his liberal ilk who want guns banned "I couldn't do anything about it, it never got to my desk".

The damage in Congress however, will be done.

IGF

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Get what you can while you can get it for a reasonable price. This time around, I see a lot more of our alleged "friends" and fellow sportsmen/sportswomen saying: "Aw, come on. 10 round restrictions aren't that bad. We don't want to look unreasonable to the Left." I don't recall as much support for restrictions coming FROM the 2A side of the room last time. Both sides of the asile are courting the middle, and the middle doesn't care one way of the other about your right to CCW, have standard capacity magazines or the like. They will do what CNN Headline News tells them to do every morning.

·
Gen4 G19 Owner
58 Posts
What measures could they have put in place to prevent what happened?

-Magazine capacity limits? Debatable, but would not have "prevented" anything. Giffords was shot with the first round, by the accounts that I read.

-Stricter background checks? The guy had nothing much official in his past to prevent him from passing one.

-preventing access to mentally unstable people? Gun shop employees now required to be psychiatrists, unless the "unstable person" has already done something to make them legally recognized as such.

What happened in Tuscon was senseless. So is putting irresponsible legislation in front of Congress that already has very important things to sort out for the benefit of this country.

Crazy people do crazy things all of the time. Regardless of how many weeks they wait, if anyone does anything in the name of Gabby Giffords for gun control it will be exploitation and I'll have none of that.

The NRA has remained mostly quiet, aside from offering prayers and thoughts of the injured and killed. I think they're acting the classiest of just about anyone on what happened.

·
Registered
27,987 Posts
Get what you can while you can get it for a reasonable price. This time around, I see a lot more of our alleged "friends" and fellow sportsmen/sportswomen saying: "Aw, come on. 10 round restrictions aren't that bad. We don't want to look unreasonable to the Left." I don't recall as much support for restrictions coming FROM the 2A side of the room last time. Both sides of the asile are courting the middle, and the middle doesn't care one way of the other about your right to CCW, have standard capacity magazines or the like. They will do what CNN Headline News tells them to do every morning.
Seriously, it is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Republicans, and even Pro Gun Democrats, are not going to fall into this trap again.

IGF

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Seriously, it is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Republicans, and even Pro Gun Democrats, are not going to fall into this trap again.

IGF
IGF, I wish I could agree. I think there's some real smoke with the magazine limit. There's no political will, that I can detect, for another AWB or ban or carrying. In fact, many states will see expanded CCW laws come up for debate soon.

But with the magazine limit, you have some staunch republicans who will buy in...and they don't need many to pass it. Having Cheney come out on this was awful for our cause.

·
Retired Member
9,202 Posts
Obama has a solid antigun history, despite what he says, or doesn't say now. :whistling:

That leopard (Obama) ain't gonna change his spots. And while I tend to agree with Bren's analysis, I think there's a good chance Obama's ego will win out, and he'll have to leave his mark on this issue too. :horsey:

His poll numbers may well determine whether he goes at it during this term, or the next. If he has a good chance at reelection, he may well wait until his next and final term. If his reelection looks doubtful, he'll lose nothing by going for it sooner. :thanks:

--Ray

·
Registered
30,883 Posts
Democrats are on DU freaking out over this, cuz they know they're going to get absolutely creamed if Obama does this. Personally, I don't think he will.. and if it does, Obama is gonna have someone else do his dirty work.

Example:

Remember when the first AWB was ending, and people kept yelling at Bush about whether he would sign it if a renewal got to his desk? What did he say, Well, its not on my desk, so I can't really do anything about it(paraphrasing of course). He never locked himself into a position that could be held against him, by either the Pro Gun side, or the Anti-Gun side..

Obama will do the same thing... he will push some ******* in Congress to push this bill, it will fail, and Obama can tell his liberal ilk who want guns banned "I couldn't do anything about it, it never got to my desk".

The damage in Congress however, will be done.

IGF
Bush campaigned saying he would sign it. That is why he did not get my vote.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I really like how the Brady Campaign people are called a "gun safety group" (anti-gun sounded a bit too negative I guess) and the NRA is called a "Powerful gun Lobby"

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
What measures could they have put in place to prevent what happened?

-Magazine capacity limits? Debatable, but would not have "prevented" anything. Giffords was shot with the first round, by the accounts that I read.

-Stricter background checks? The guy had nothing much official in his past to prevent him from passing one.

-preventing access to mentally unstable people? Gun shop employees now required to be psychiatrists, unless the "unstable person" has already done something to make them legally recognized as such.

What happened in Tuscon was senseless. So is putting irresponsible legislation in front of Congress that already has very important things to sort out for the benefit of this country.

Crazy people do crazy things all of the time. Regardless of how many weeks they wait, if anyone does anything in the name of Gabby Giffords for gun control it will be exploitation and I'll have none of that.

The NRA has remained mostly quiet, aside from offering prayers and thoughts of the injured and killed. I think they're acting the classiest of just about anyone on what happened.
That's exactly the point. They are only after further restriction and this is a great excuse to push the issue.

As far as the NRA goes, they are in the pocket of the gov now anyway so don't expect anything out of them. But whatever...people will go along with whatever new laws come out and shrug their shoulders, put on the ball game and have a beer, thinking "I got my stuff. Yep....I got 1000 33 rounders and Imma sell em for $500 each".

1 - 20 of 35 Posts