close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Here is waht my Congress man had to say about Gun control

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 4 glocks, Jan 3, 2013.

1. 4 glocks

4 glocks

NC

Thank you for contacting our office to share your views regarding the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. We appreciate hearing from you.

There is no remedy for an innocent life that has been taken by the misuse of a firearm. The tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School is a painful and saddening reminder about the very real threat that is posed by gun violence.

The Second Amendment clearly provides a constitutional right to keep and bear arms but that does not trump the authority of the government to maintain public safety, particularly for children. Although the federal government has an important role regulating the use of guns, most criminal statutes are imposed by state governments. Unfortunately, criminal statutes oftentimes are not enough to stop gun violence, New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts have some of the strongest gun laws in the country, but they also experience high numbers of gun-related crimes.

I believe that the right to bear arms must be exercised responsibly and that the tragedy at Sandy Hook should not be overlooked. Federal and state governments should work together to develop comprehensive policies that will update the manner in which we address gun violence and mental illness. It's clear that stringent laws are not enough to eliminate gun violence, and at the same time, it is obvious that more regulations alone will not ensure our safety from gun violence in the future.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We will be sure to keep them in mind should relevant legislation be considered. In the meantime, please feel free to contact our office if we may be of assistance in the future.

Sincerely,
    [​IMG]
    HOWARD COBLE
    Member of Congress

NC

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  2. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

But, it does...........

3. JBnTX

JBnTX 2 Timothy 2:15

Sounds kind of wishy washy to me?
    He could go either way.

I would keep writing him.

4. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

I'm not in congress but I know this is wrong.

" The Second Amendment clearly provides a constitutional right to keep and bear arms but that does not trump the authority of the government to maintain public safety, particularly for children."

The constitution doesn't say anything about nullifying it if congress decides an amendment engangers children.

If congress wants to amend the constitution,they can.

The first method is for a bill to pass both houses of the legislature, by a two-thirds majority in each. Once the bill has passed both houses, it goes on to the states. This is the route taken by all current amendments. Because of some long outstanding amendments, such as the 27th, Congress will normally put a time limit (typically seven years) for the bill to be approved as an amendment (for example, see the 21st and 22nd).

The second method prescribed is for a Constitutional Convention to be called by two-thirds of the legislatures of the States, and for that Convention to propose one or more amendments. These amendments are then sent to the states to be approved by three-fourths of the legislatures or conventions.

5. 4 glocks

4 glocks

I agree like a form letter, not to offend each side.

6. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Actually, he is 100% correct.

And I think his reply, if cryptic, is well-intentioned. Hes saying that existing gun laws are doing jack **** and just passing more of the same kinds of useless laws would do equally jack ****. But, at the same time, we have to try (as we ALWAYS have to do) to find ways to stop unlawful violence wherever possible.

Its no secret that this site is full of mostly extremists. This has been illustrated in a few threads I've created and the replies I've gotten about ways to stop criminals and ways to effectively stop guns from getting into their hands. You're the Yin to the absolute gun-grabber Yang. Neither of you are worth a damn, quite frankly. People like this congress critter, if his reply is honest, are the ones who we need to put our faith in.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  7. 2-8 Marine

2-8 Marine Limp Member

Perfect reply for a member of congress . . . he's on both sides. :whistling:

8. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Well lets go to one extreme. And just make murder illegal. That should fix it right?... Doh!

Ok let's go to another extreme. Lets repeal the first, second, and fifth amendment, make government mental evaluations mandatory for everyone and whoever fails to measure up mentally must be locked away indefinitely. Oh that doesn't work either?

Oh ok, let's do something in between the two, because surely a mixture of both will work, right? :upeyes:

9. PAGunner

PAGunner

Sounds like a man who needs tO feel the heat from gun owners to "make up" his mInd.

My former congressman is Allen West, whom I took a pic with at the gunstore a few months back as we were both making a firearms purchase. Now I have Lois Frankel who is a complete wacktard, she stated her first line of business is the AWB... Having Obama win and losing West as a congressman for this idiot is like getting kicked in the crotch twice without recovering from the first kick.

10. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Now, restate your satire as a straight statement, and consider how it compares to what the congress critter said.

Spoiler: You're both saying something very similar. :wavey:

11. Sharkey

Sharkey

Yep. You and I understand that but most elected politicians don't seem to grasp the concept that that they actually took an oath to abide by the Constitution.

He like most others should be thrown out on his ass AND lose his retirement which they get after serving 1 term. What a bunch of morons.

12. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Nope. I just looked at the three ways to go regarding crime in a realistic way. You just don't have anything intelligent to add after, so you need to criticize the way I got my point through.

Nice cop out though. :wavey:

13. phil evans

phil evans

just like a sleazy politician - what did he say?

14. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

What the hell are you talking about?

Who's criticizing?

Are we even discussing the same thing?

15. 4 glocks

4 glocks

I agree he said nothing.

16. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw zero leadership oozing from that reply. Why do we elect them again?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

17. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Just another Mamby Pamby.

18. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

he used a lot of words to say hes on the fence.

19. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That is quite an artful job of saying, "I might be on your side...or the other side." In short, it means he didn't read your email, which is why he has a single form response that works whether you sent a pro-gun email or an anti-gun email. That way he doesn't make a mistake and accidentally loose a pro-gun - or anti-gun - vote.

20. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

This.

Sounds like he's worried more about another term than the subject at hand.