Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Storage and Humidity is a big deal. Recently bought this little humidity meter that lets you check RH of Cigars.

Yes it works, is cheap under $30.00, easy to use.

Two little problem in foot of Cigar even through Cellophane.👍

Tell me if there are too humid, if so they got to Dry Box.

Darn thing works.❤
Rectangle Camera accessory Measuring instrument Gadget Font

·
Director of civil unrest
11,129 Posts
I can't get my little Amazon humidor above 55%! Help!

·
Native Mainiac
26,337 Posts
Pee in it.

Just kidding.

In the winter when it's wicked dry inside the house here, I have a small piece of sponge I put in a shot glass in the humidor to help the built in pad....but gotta be careful and check daily. Once I got some mold starting..

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well one of the problem with price point humidors is getting then to seal.

Best solution is remove shelves if any, place plastic container in bottom. Make sure top closes completely.

Then fill plastic container with clean, fresh, distilled water. Fill like 3/4 full.

Close top for 14 days,DO NOT OPEN FOR 14 Days.

When you open if water level is down, refill, and close 7 days.

I am assuming your Amazon special needs seasoning.

If this does not work Amazon sold you defective Humidor.

·
Director of civil unrest
11,129 Posts
Well one of the problem with price point humidors is getting then to seal.

Best solution is remove shelves if any, place plastic container in bottom. Make sure top closes completely.

Then fill plastic container with clean, fresh, distilled water. Fill like 3/4 full.

Close top for 14 days,DO NOT OPEN FOR 14 Days.

When you open if water level is down, refill, and close 7 days.

I am assuming your Amazon special needs seasoning.

If this does not work Amazon sold you defective Humidor.
Just put a shot glass with a wetted paper towel in it, in it. We'll see.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just put a shot glass with a wetted paper towel in it, in it. We'll see.
You can also use some plastic water bottles, cut off to just short then the inner height of humidor.

The reason I use Tupperware or old Cool Whip container is a dry Humidor will suck a shot glass dry fast.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The deal is a dry Humidor will absorbe a hell of a lot of moisture to make it seal.

I have one Wood Humidor, took 3 weeks to get the inside right.

once complete it easy to maintain. Michael Dixon made mine, pricy but is awesome.

Brown Rectangle Wood Wood stain Hardwood

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Storage and Humidity is a big deal. Recently bought this little humidity meter that lets you check RH of Cigars.

Yes it works, is cheap under $30.00, easy to use.

Two little problem in foot of Cigar even through Cellophane.👍

Tell me if there are too humid, if so they got to Dry Box.

Darn thing works.❤ View attachment 988294
Use 70/70 rules. 70% humidity at 70°F. No wild temperature variations....and it's no secret. There's Credo humidity disks and similar accessories that utilize distilled water to maintain an approximate 70% RH

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Humidifiers are cheap and the dial hydrometers work OK and are not expensive. We recommended when buying a new humidor that it be wiped down inside with purified or distilled water and kept closed a few days checking the humidity level before filling it with your smokes. You can also use Propylene Glycol which is made to use in humidors.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Honestly, most humidors sold are junk. Get some Tupperware, Boveda packs, and a couple sheets of Spanish cedar of Amazon. NEVER WORRY AGAIN!
Yup, he^^^^ gets it.
I use a old large cooler, lined with some spanish cedar pieces I glued on the sides. Then small tuperware dish with a ton of holes drilled in it, filled with floral foam(soaked in water). Stays remarkably consistent- the key is to use a large cooler with lots of spanish cedar. And I prefer 65%, 70 is too much for looser draws I prefer.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Pee in it.

Just kidding.

In the winter when it's wicked dry inside the house here, I have a small piece of sponge I put in a shot glass in the humidor to help the built in pad....but gotta be careful and check daily. Once I got some mold starting..
Are you sure it was mold? Do you know about "bloom" or "plume" as some call it? It appears as a dry powder white or grey. It is merely the oils in aged cigars that come to the surface and is harmless.Just brush it off. If it is a different color, or fuzzy looking, it is mold. Throw it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts