close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

herd of javelina

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by mpol777, Nov 25, 2002.

1. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

i went out to the desert to try out my new lever gun. i was walking out to my "private range" and heard some rustling in the brush. i stopped and looked over and there was a javelina just standing there munching on a prickly pear cactus. i held still and looked some more and picked out a couple more. they were about 25 yards away. i took a couple steps forward and they lumbered off. there was one HUGE one. i checked the area out and they must be coming here often. too bad i can't get a tag for this area. there were a bunch of little ones there so i'll be back for them next year.

2. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

3. noway

noway

Very similiar to pork & if you cook it right it can be very tender and tasty.

4. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Get that tag.

Hear folks hunt them with their 1911s too.

5. BKD in Texas

BKD in Texas Millennium Member

No flame or insult intended, the following is a serious question.

What is the deal with the fascination for javi hunting in New Mexico and Arizona? A friend had two cousins from New Mexico hunting with him in South Texas, and they couldn't believe they could shoot TWO javis each with no special permits! I read articles all the time about how javi hunting is a big deal in those two states.

These things are considered mostly a nusiance on my deer lease, all though we don't shoot them as a rule, because we don't see that many. They are kinda like pets.

Every one I have seen stinks, and I can't imaging eating one!

Just curious...

Take Care,
    BKD

6. noway

noway

Don't know but when I was in NM I had a Javelina cook out in the small old west town of Portales. The locals love the hell out these animals. Similar to a hog but much smaller in size.

The old country boys would let them loose in a big pen and see who could run in and wrestle one down.I thought that was strange and very unusal. Afterswards you had a BBQ and table full of Javelina parts;some ribs,loins,fried instestines, etc......... Wash it down with a good beer and a couple shots of Tequila & a hot bowl of menudo w/lime and try to froget.

7. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

BKD,

my facisnation with them is the fact that i've never hunted one before. some say they taste bad others say they can be good. the hide is tough and could be useful and the teeth would be a cool to have made up into something.

if i don't like the way they taste i might not hunt them again, since it's not all that sporting. at least in the area that i go to. personally, i'll hunt anything that walks, crawls or flies at least once, if i think i can use something from the animal and i can get a tag/license. then i'll decide if i liked it and want to do it again.

8. BKD in Texas

BKD in Texas Millennium Member

mpol,

That's cool. I'm much the same way when it comes to hunting, but
    probably just spoiled since I have hunted South Texas for so long.

It's not just you, but in those two states, hunting javi seems to be
    as popular as deer hunting! I even see guides advertising hunts for them, and it seems to be a really big deal. Maybe I am missing something. I probably wouldn't mind a skull mount from one with big tusks!

Maybe I'll take a look closer at them this weekend.

Thanks and Take Care,
    BKD I

9. BrianDamage

BrianDamage YouTalkin'ToMe?

I would imagine that it is because those are the two states where they are the most prevelant. Think about it...if you had a game animal in your state that was not found in the others (like deer are), then wouldn't you promote the hell out of hunting it? Especially when you think in terms of how much $$$ hunters can bring into an area.

Yeah, I've heard they stink too...they are also called "musk hogs" because of that