Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
1-man flash mob
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is a longtime Blackberry user and currently has a Blackberry Curve. The curve is acting up and she is eligible for an upgrade. She can't decide between one of the Android models or an Iphone. The more we look th more questions she has. We are with AT&T and cannot switch.

She isn't interested in one of the Windows based phones nor did she like any of the Motorola "flip" models.

These are the ones she has narrowed it down to. I personally like the Iphone as it is a proven platform and she has had an ipod touch for a few years so it would be an easy switch.

HTC Aria: Smallest of her choices. Android 2.1 5mp camera
Samsung Captivate: Largest phone. huge screen Android 2.1 5mp camera
Sony Xperia X10 Older OS Android 1.6 best camera 8.1mp with flash
Iphone 3gs $49, familiar with OS, 3mp camera
Iphone 4 $99 familiar OS 5mp camera with Flash

·
Anti-Federalist
20,809 Posts
If she doesn't plan to exploit the phone's true potential I would go with 3g iOS.

They are all serious upgrades from a BB except maybe the Xperia for which I have no experience.

She won't even know what to do with herself when she finds out she can actually use the internet on her phone now.

·
Registered
240 Posts
As someone who has has the iPhone 3G, 3Gs, and 4 (and iPad 64G 3G) - I have to say, skip the older ones and get the 4.

The older ones feel slow with some of the applications, and realistically, the 4 is just a better phone for a small price diff.

·
Registered
460 Posts
If she's contemplating the iPhone, it's a pretty good bet the next gen will be out in June, if she can hang in there that long with what she has. Otherwise, go with the 4. Being two gen's behind so soon will be less enjoyable.

·
Señor Member
5,395 Posts
The Captivate and the iPhone 4 are by far the best phones in that list. The higher camera quality and higher screen resolution they have is absolutely worth a slight difference in price, in my opinion.

Even if the Xperia had better hardware, Android 1.6 is long in the tooth and proof that Sony has no interest in supporting their phones.

The Captivate's 4 inch screen is big and beautiful, but it's a battery drain, and the quality isn't as good as the iPhone 4's smaller screen. The iPhone 4 has a significantly better camera (same number of megapixels, far better performance). Software? Well, that's a matter of taste.

·
1-man flash mob
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. From my research I would have to agree that the Xperia needs more development to be a candidate. The screen isn't multi-touch and 1.6 tells me that they dont plan on keeping it up in the long run. The only thing I hate about the Iphone itself is the fact that you have to pay $100+ more for $10 worth of memory. An iphone 4 with an SD slot would be a good start. I also hate how Apple locks the unit down. For instance, with my Blackberry Torch I can download songs from any website that offers it. I can also bluetooth that or any other song to any other bluetooth phone except an iphone. Apple will not let you bluetooth music nor can you download it from other sources directly to the device. My wife teaches fitness classes and can download songs from the company website but the ipod/iphone won't do it.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Personally I'm an Android fan, but I'm not going to bash the Iphone. If you do get an Iphone though, why get the old one? The price difference is pretty minimal in the long run.

Personally I wouldn't get any android phone running less then 2.1. Either the Captivate or Aria are good choices though. IMO though, its hard to appreciate all the good things android(or any smart phone) can do with a tiny screen.

·
Gun Nut
123 Posts
I have an iPhone 4 and HATE it.

Dropped calls all the time.

I had a BB Storm 2 before this and loved it.

The iPhone is a kids toy compared to the BB's.

·
Registered
8,836 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies. From my research I would have to agree that the Xperia needs more development to be a candidate. The screen isn't multi-touch and 1.6 tells me that they dont plan on keeping it up in the long run. The only thing I hate about the Iphone itself is the fact that you have to pay $100+ more for $10 worth of memory. An iphone 4 with an SD slot would be a good start. I also hate how Apple locks the unit down. For instance, with my Blackberry Torch I can download songs from any website that offers it. I can also bluetooth that or any other song to any other bluetooth phone except an iphone. Apple will not let you bluetooth music nor can you download it from other sources directly to the device. My wife teaches fitness classes and can download songs from the company website but the ipod/iphone won't do it.
Does she not like the Tourch? If I was on AT&T that would be my first choice for a phone even though I'm a big Apple fan.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My wife loves her X10 even though it's still on 1.6. There is official 2.1 ROM available if you really want it. There's also Custom 2.3 based ROMs and even multi-touch enablers available on XDA. All of that requires rooting the phone though. I've tried to pry it away from my wife long enough to upgrade hers, but she's perfectly happy with it like it is. The only real negative I've found is the flash for the camera doesn't work nearly as well as it should. However, the PQ in general is outstanding.

·
Anti-Federalist
20,809 Posts
I have an iPhone 4 and HATE it.

Dropped calls all the time.

I had a BB Storm 2 before this and loved it.

The iPhone is a kids toy compared to the BB's.
Wow.

Coming from multiple BB's all I can say is that we'll let that be your little secret :rofl:

I however prefer my Droid X :wavey:

·
Aggie in Exile.
1,332 Posts
I have had the droid1 (2 times) and now have the droid2.

Both of these phones are absolute POSs.

Stay very far away from the motorola droids.

They all have had issues with locking up at the worst times, are "butt dial" experts, have volume issues and generally suck. Verizon tried to say that my problem was isolated but then the sales rep came clean and said hers does all of the things mine does all of the time too and "to get used to it". wtf

My wife has an Iphone and one of my kids has a blackberry with the sliding top and keyboard. I like both of these phones better than my droids.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
If she's contemplating the iPhone, it's a pretty good bet the next gen will be out in June, if she can hang in there that long with what she has. Otherwise, go with the 4. Being two gen's behind so soon will be less enjoyable.
This is my vote for the most part. Next Gen smart phones will start trickling out 2-3 months from now.

If she really wants to do this now, I can understand I hate waiting. I would go with the Samsung, they have amazingly bright screens and Android stomps iOS into the dirt.

If she opts for the iphone the 4g is worth the extra $50 for sure.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Too bad its not an option for you, but I've had the HTC evo for a week now and this phone is amazing. If they have a similar option for you on your network, give if a shot. I was not an Android fan but realized that blackberry was going nowhere in terms of keeping up with many of the other manufacturers and I had to make the jump sometime. I don't regret if a bit. The touchscreen took a little time to get used to, but now I'm typing pretty quick. Battery life seems to be the downfall of these high powered phones, but I picked up a 3500 mah battery today and hopefully it helps a lot.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Only thing on that list worth buying is the iPhone. The Captivate is nice in theory but Samsung has still yet to figure out how to make a GPS work correctly and their support just plain sucks. It will be summertime before they get a darn Froyo update out. If you want Android wait a couple months for the Atrix. AT&T's Android options suck because they have been riding the iPhone gravy train. Now that that is over they have some pretty nice stuff coming out.

·
R O C K E R
2,754 Posts
Since she's coming from a BlackBerry, IMO she'll do better with an iPhone over an Android (Also keep in mind that the only 2 AT&T Android phones worth comparing to the iPhone 4 aren't out yet [HTC Inspire and Motorola Atrix]). iOS (iPhone) is much easier for most people to become proficient in usage. Android has a relatively steep learning curve.

The iPhone 3GS should not even be an option for you. The new iPhone will be out in 5 months, and the 3GS will disappear. Last year Apple dropped support for the iPhone 2g, this year, they've dropped support for the 3g and there are already features that the 3GS can't take advantage of even though the hardware supports it

If you need a phone now, IMO iPhone 4 is the ONLY choice from AT&T. Wait a couple of months, and the field opens up some

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Too bad its not an option for you, but I've had the HTC evo for a week now and this phone is amazing. If they have a similar option for you on your network, give if a shot. I was not an Android fan but realized that blackberry was going nowhere in terms of keeping up with many of the other manufacturers and I had to make the jump sometime. I don't regret if a bit. The touchscreen took a little time to get used to, but now I'm typing pretty quick. Battery life seems to be the downfall of these high powered phones, but I picked up a 3500 mah battery today and hopefully it helps a lot.
Kind of a side track I know, but the EVO's battery life doesn't have to be as bad as people make it out to be. You just need to be careful with the settings, and what widgets you use. Your still not going to be able to go several days without charging, but you can get it to last all day easily.

Check out this site if you haven't:
http://www.goodandevo.net/:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts